XTERRA Races
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 17s
Overall Rank = 36/117
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/17
Pre-race routine:

bowl of fruit loops and some coffee at home. was rolling by 6:15. thought i would have plenty of time since i got there an hour early, but waited in line to check in for 30 minutes so i had to hustle to get my stuff set up and get in a little warm up
Event warmup:

one quick jog around the parking lot and a short out and back swim.
Swim
  • 16m 32s
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

swim time included T1 time...
first time in a while (maybe ever) i've done a mass swim start. even though it wasn't a huge race, 120 people starting at the same time is wild. first few hundred meters was ugly. i basically swam water polo style all the way to the first bouy to make sure i wasn't going to run into someone. so that caused a high heart rate heavy breathing which makes it hard to get in a rythm. on the way back in it smoothed out some and i was able to get into a groove.
What would you do differently?:

probably start closer to the front and just try to hammer for as long as i can. it wasn't a long swim, so i definitely could have gone harder. plus it would have helped to come out of the water in front of some of the weaker bikers. i don't have a lot of single track racing exp, so passing, or lack of, cost me a lot of time on the bike.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

t1 time was included in the swim time. prob about 2:00...at least. not a good transition, but it was also the first xterra transition i've done. it was chilly at the start of the race, so i opted not to wear my jersey in the water. expectedly, i struggled putting it on while wet. also, i had full fingered mtb gloves that i had to put on finger by finger b/c my hands were wet. very frustrating. finally, i started to run out of T1, and had something in my sock, so i had to take off my shoe and sock to get it.

i wouldn't dare ride the mt bike w/out gloves, so if i do this race again, maybe go with fingerless gloves. also just need to suck it up and put on the jersey before the swim.
Bike
  • 57m 31s
  • 10 miles
  • 10.43 mile/hr
Comments:

the bike went fine. the good was that i felt strong the whole time and i felt like my bike handling was pretty sharp, esp for not having ridden there before. the bad was that i left a lot of time out there. part of it was just being unfamiliar with the trail, so i didn't know where to hammer or where the next hidden turn would be. and i was too timid in passing. i'd get stuck behind a train of 3 or 4 riders and keep thinking it would break up soon, but it never did. eventually somebody else would come by and i would jump in behind them.

i did fall once when caught my bars on a tree. nothing bad, but i couldn't get my shoe unclipped for a little bit.

again, hammer the swim to hopefully get out in front of some of the slower bikers so i don't have to pass them. preride the course so im familiar with it.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 time is included in the bike. T2 went fine except that i was half way out of the transition and realized i still had my gloves on. threw them back at my bike and i was on my way.

think
Run
  • 41m 45s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

good run for me. felt fresh, probably b/c i took it easy on the bike. paced well on the flats and uphills, and let it open up on the downhills for some free speed. a lot of the trail was so packed down it was almost like running on a dirt road, so there weren't too many threats of tripping over rocks or roots.

not much. the run went well.
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed a gatorade and chatted with some of the guys there. apparently these xterra races have a cult like following, as a lot of the guys there travel all around the southeast to do them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

being unfamiliar with the course, slow T1. I easily left 5:00 out there due to non-fitness related circumstances.

Event comments:

Overall a very fun race. Single track racing can be a little intimidating if you don't do it often, but i can see how after some experience, a lot of people prefer xterra to regular tris. probably do this race again next year to get back some of that time it owes me ;)

Last updated: 2011-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:32 | 805 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/117
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: counter clockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:31 | 10 miles | 10.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/117
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: mt bike course at Ft Yargo state park. first time riding out there, and i don't think it was the whole course b/c they had some sections roped off.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal