General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First DQ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-22 4:32 PM

Subject: First DQ
On a beautiful Sunday morning in eastern Ontario in a town named Brockville I was competing in my second duathlon, not knowing what an awful day I was going to have. After watching the Olympic swimmers take off, all the duathletes began slowly moving over to the start of the first run. The run started off fairly well, I made good time and I even sprinted the last 300 meters to the transition zone (My legs were feeling great) and preceded to move my bike to the mounting area and my impending doom. After biking approx. 4-5 miles and averaging about 22 miles/hour and still feeling great and optimistic, especially after passing about a dozen people, I had dreams swirling in my head that I actually might even get 1st in my AG (19 and under). Then suddenly my rear tire blew as I was just finishing off a hill going about 26m/hour and at that exact moment another guy was just about to try and pass me. Not wanting to get in his way I began hitting the brakes trying to stop and tried to keep my bike steady, where lucky me there just happened to be a very large, very deep pothole. My front tire hit the edge of the hole and I nearly fell over the handlebars trying to keep my balance (wasn't using clipless pedals). And it just so happened that I only had 1 spare tube in my little bag thingy, not wanting to quit this easily I began the humiliating task of asking other riders who were passing if they had a spare tube available. About 300 riders passed when one guy stopped and thankfully threw me a tube. So I took off my tires and began the textbook task of replacing a flat.
Just then a guy who lived nearby came over with a proper pump and patches and started helping me fix my flats. After getting one tire fixed I began to placce it on my bike when suddenly it exploded.....!@#$, so I took the tube out and patched it up. The other tire was finished and as I was re-pumping the first one it REALLY exploded once again. Right at that moment a marshall came up to me in the little ditch I was in and told me I was D/Q. It was hot, I was dirty, greasy, now in last place and frustrated as hell, and I still wanted to finish even if I was last by 10 min or even an hour and I wanted to argue but realized I had no more tubes left and couldn't patch the ones I currently had, but oh well my day was done........!@#$%. And most of you are probably think I didn't check the rim for any problems, but I did so it's unexplainable.

Anyway many thanks to the 2 individuals who helped me out during the race, and hopefully I'll be doing another du this weekend.

~~Gord~~

Edited by the_wenger 2005-08-22 4:37 PM

2005-08-22 5:02 PM
in reply to: #231138

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: First DQ
Bummer. Happens to everyone at one time or another. It was brave of you to sacrafice your bike to the pothole Gods rather than take out someone who was also racing. You will do great this coming weekend.
2005-08-22 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Poopie!
2005-08-22 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Oh that is so upsetting. I would be so frustrated at starting out so well and then having such a bad break down. That sucks!

At least you are unharmed (physically) and I'm sure you will do awesome at your next race. What is it that Bear says? Any ride you walk away from is a good ride.
2005-08-22 6:19 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I had multiple blowouts when I first got my bike until I put a higher quality rim tape on than came with the wheels.

You also have to be VERY careful not to pinch the tube at all when putting the tire back on over it. I've done that a few times too.
2005-08-22 6:28 PM

User image

Expert
Livermore, Ca
Why were you DQ'ed?

2005-08-22 7:28 PM
in reply to: #231266

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

nbo10 - 2005-08-22 7:28 PM Why were you DQ'ed?

You're not allowed outside assistance.  So if someone helps you with changing your flat or gives you something, that's considered outside assistance.  Having a friend come run next to you even for sust a little bit is considered outside assistance. 

Though the DQ was rather harsh.  According to USAT rules:

Unauthorized Assistance. No participant shall accept from any person (other than a race official) physical assistance in any form, including food, drink, equipment, support, pacing, a replacement bicycle or bicycle parts, unless an express exception has been granted and approved, in writing, by USA Triathlon. The receipt of information regarding the progress, split times, or location of other competitors on the race course shall not be considered the acceptance of unauthorized assistance. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

2005-08-22 10:11 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Check your tubes to see where they blew.  I had this problem in June and it was the rim tape.  It was old and needed to be replaced.  I got the clue when I looked at the tubes and noticed the blowout was on the inside.  Not saying this is your problem, but you should be able to at least see a hint, if you look at the tube.
2005-08-23 1:20 PM

I have since replaced the rim tape, hopefully this will prevent future blowouts

And I had no idea that I'am not allowed to have outside help when repairing my bike, I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Thx everyone

~~Gord~~

Edited by the_wenger 2005-08-23 1:20 PM
2005-08-23 4:18 PM
in reply to: #231314

NYTriGal and others:

Note that the race happened in Brockville, Ontario, so it wouldn't have been under USAT rules - probably under OAT or TriCanada rules.

If it had been in the US, under USAT rules, outside assistance would have just been a time penalty and it would have taken two additional time penalties (outside assistance or otherwise) to make it a DQ.
2005-08-23 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Michigan
That really sucks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First DQ Rss Feed