United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 15s
Overall Rank = 34/91
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

Mendenhall, LA, is beautiful. Got down the day before the race and just spent some time enjoying the area. Visited the LRS, bought a few things (of course), and enjoyed a nice pre-race dinner with friends. We were up early to get to the race site in plenty of time before the start. This would be my first race with no socks, so tried to lube up all the right places. I was proud of my minimal transition area compared to some.
Event warmup:

Warmed up with 1-mile easy run with Casey. Didn't really want to swim and then freeze while waiting, so got in about 10 minutes before our wave to get used to the water; swam out a little bit; and only froze a little bit. No wetsuits, so chilly at first, but really fine.
Swim
  • 27m 31s
  • 1000 yards
  • 02m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam, and I swam, and I swam, and I kept on swimming. I really had to resist the urge to look at my watch because it felt like it was taking freakin' forever. And when I got out, lo' and behold, it did take freakin' forever. No way that swim was only 1000 meters. Some said it was probably closer to 1300 meters, and that would make my overall pace more in the normal range...still slow, but well within expectation. Also, compared to the fast people, my time is about right. Still, this swim needs a lot more work.

I started probably a bit too far outside the first set of buoys. I was trying to avoid most of the fray, and that worked, I was swimming almost immediately, but that made my first turn very wide, and then I just had a difficult time getting back in the flow. I seemed to stay too far outside. Weird. Not usually an issue for me.

The water was murky at first but then pretty clear for a lake. I warmed up quickly and was comfortable, but I definitely need to just swim at a bit of a stronger pace. When we got to the far side of the lake, it became quite shallow again, and I even saw a couple of people stand up and walk (!). There was weedy stuff in the water catching my hands, going down my suit. Yuck. A few years ago that would have freaked me out. So glad I don't freak out anymore.

I could not find a draft, and I didn't do a very good job of sighting. Buoys were kind of hard to see, especially on the way back in. I got sandwiched at one point and had to come to a complete stop for a moment. When I realized we were finally almost done, I did kick it in a bit and start to pass people, but really, should have done that sooner.
What would you do differently?:

Stay closer to the buoy line and swim stronger pace.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I am never wearing socks again...at least for the shorter races. (Or maybe not even on the bike at all.) I was in and out of transition in what seemed like no time. One lady, on the same rack, was already in and sitting on her bucket when I ran up from the lake. She was still on her bucket when I ran out. Suhweet. I had the 2nd fastest transition in my age group.

Finally learn how to put my shoes on on the bike. How much faster would that have been?
Bike
  • 56m 10s
  • 18 miles
  • 19.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought I had a much faster overall pace because they had advertised the course as 19 miles. But now everything shows up as 18 (and course map has it at 17.8 or so). So, I will settle for the 19 mph pace. It still was among the fastest in my age group and top 30% of women, which for me is significant. I saw women who were behind me, and I kept thinking, that was me not that long ago.

I tried to settle into a pace without letting my heart rate jack up right away. The first section was flat, but the roads were pretty rough. I was glad I had my race wheels; they really smooth out the ride, if nothing else.

Almost immediately, I was playing cat and mouse with a 70-year old guy. Now, I am the biggest admirer of seniors in these races. I can only hope that I am able to race at any level at that age. However, this guy was a terrible cyclist. Granted the right hand sides of the road were rough, but he just kept drifting left without looking and kinda' scaring me. I would pass him if we had a roller to go up, and then he would pass me on the way down or on a flat. But he would start to drift in so close I could almost touch him and then almost cut me off at the front wheel to get back his position. Yeesh. He was riding to the right half the time anyway, why not just stay there? I finally was able to pass him for good.

So, yes, the roads were rough, and more so to the right, but I have never seen so many people ride to the left. I am not sure whether an official was out there, but I only saw one time penalty. Boo. Many people should have gotten position penalties. I did go around rough spots, but I stayed right unless I was passing.

Since it was an out and back, we had a hairpin turn, which I am really not comfortable with. But I did it just fine. Then, we were riding into the wind a lot. I think the wind was picking up about then, too. I know there were a couple of spots that I slowed considerably because of the wind and slight uphill.

In the final stretch, had another guy cat and mouse me. Again...wanted to hang out in the left. What was with these folks? Slight uphill to the end was more than he could handle, so I had to go all the way over to the left to get around him. Yeesh.

I felt great coming in, though, and was ready to run.

Possibly hit it a little harder, but really felt as if I had a good ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

If I go without socks, I definitely need to lube the feet more. Shoes were a little sticky to get on. (4th in age group.)

Slippier feet.
Run
  • 34m 30s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I really wanted to run, but I knew we were headed uphill right after transition, so I pulled back a bit. Then, it was run at pace, but stay relaxed. I focused running "lightly" up the hills and then cruising down or maintaining pace on the flats. I passed at least 2 other ladies in my age group on the run, so no doubt this is where I was able to place.

Nothing. I am very pleased with where my run is right now and how strong I feel off the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

At the finish line, they hand you a pint glass, and then the choices are water, beer, and margaritas. First, I had water, and then a margarita, and then a beer.I think that sufficed for a warm-down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slow start on the swim and then a bit of a sluggish performance. I need to gain more confidence in my swim overall.

Last updated: 2011-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:31 | 1000 yards | 02m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 61/91
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Kind of an odd rectangle. Out, then across the lake, then back to the start at an angle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:10 | 18 miles | 19.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 28/91
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on local roads. Some rollers and several turns.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:30 | 04 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 31/91
Course: Another out and back on rollers. Started with an uphill, but ended with a nice, long downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-05-05 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: Crawfishman Triathlon

2011-05-06 6:52 AM
in reply to: #3483575

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Crawfishman Triathlon
Nice job Karen!  I love your warm down. 
2013-04-25 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3483575

User image

New user

Indianapolis, Indiana
Subject: RE: Crawfishman Triathlon
Thanks for the in-depth report.  I'm using this to base my race plan this year.  I like that you have a lot of details.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crawfishman Triathlon Rss Feed