UW Athletics
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 31m 52s
Overall Rank = 185/12562
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/712
Pre-race routine:

Walked around the farmers market with my family - our usual Saturday morning routine. Saw a number of very drunk college students getting ready early (at 8:30am) for the Mifflin Street block party.
Event warmup:

Did about a 1/2 mile warm-up with some strides thrown in.
Run
  • 31m 52s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 06m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Since this was my first 8k race, my first time running this course, and my first race since my half marathon in January, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I had taken a few weeks off in February to heal up some nagging injuries, had only gotten my long run up over 6 miles a few weeks ago, and had done mostly easy running the last few months. I was hoping for somewhere around a 6:30 pace.

Mile 1: 5:54 - Started near the front of the wave C pack and stayed there for the first mile. I wasn't sure what pace to shoot for since I almost always go out too fast the first mile, but this first mile was also a net downhill. At the 1 mile marker, I was surprised at my time because it didn't feel that fast.

Mile 2: 6:20 - I was assuming my pace up the hill on Observatory Drive would be slower than my target average pace, but I didn't feel like I was pushing too hard up the hill and was again surprised by my time at the next mile marker. After cresting the hill, there were some nice downhill stretches where I just leaned forward and took advantage of the free speed.

Mile 3: 6:34 - The 3rd mile was mostly flat and partway through, I started to feel a little tired. At the turn-around just before the 3rd mile marker, we turned right into about a 25 mph wind, which I could definitely feel slowing me down a little.

Mile 4: 6:46 - I tried to draft off a few other runners, frequently having to try to speed up to get behind them, but I didn't have anything left in me to speed up, so the wind along with the gradual incline and exhaustion setting in slowed me down. Started feeling some twinges of discomfort in my quads. I just tried to keep pulling myself along as fast as I could manage.

Mile 5: 6:18 - Felt very similar to the 4th mile, except once we made the turn onto Breese Terrace, I was able to start picking up the pace a little, knowing the end was close. However, I don't think I would have been able to muster much of a kick at the end if it weren't for the downhill ramp into the stadium. I was able to use gravity to pick up my pace and then sprint to the finish. Another runner next to me started sprinting at the same time and I think I just barely beat him over the finish line.

What would you do differently?:

Not much. I was totally exhausted after crossing the finish line, so i don't think I could have run the race any faster, given my current fitness level.
Post race
Warm down:

Went and picked up my sweats and then headed up to get some fruit, water, and beer. Made it through the beer line a few times before my family met up with me from the 2 mile walk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm just building my running base back up, so lack of more training? Besides that, the wind, but all the runners had to deal with that.

Event comments:

$30 for a race including a t-shirt and free beer is a good deal!

Last updated: 2011-04-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:52 | 04.97 miles | 06m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/712
Overall: 185/12562
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 5:54 Mile 2: 6:20 Mile 3: 6:34 Mile 4: 6:46 Mile 5: 6:18
Course: Starts by the capitol. Has a good amount of downhill in the first mile until you get to the UW Union. Observatory Drive has a decent size hill to climb, but there are some nice downhill sections as well. Turn around is by Nielsen Tennis Center, and then heads South and East, finishing in Camp Randall stadium.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes