United States
EndorFun Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 16m 20s
Overall Rank = 766/1262
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 136/179
Pre-race routine:

My pre race routine went downhill in a hurry. I had set my alarm for 4:30 but I woke before it went off. For some reason I panicked, thinking that I was late. I lunged over to the nightstand to get my glasses and smashed my chin on the corner...blood everywhere...great. So for the next hour, I am trying to get the bleeding to stop. It finally slows down but everytime I eat, it starts bleeding again (seriosuly, this could only happen to me). I wasn't gping to let anything bother me on this day, so I just shrugged off and continued to get ready. However, I clearly did eat enough (I am forshadowing a bit hear in case anyone missed it).
Event warmup:

It was only about 70 degrees and raining so I spent a lot of time setting up transition, drying to keep things dry. The race was delayd by 15 minues to get people in the park. About 1/2 hour before my start, I put on my wetsuit and did a little swimming.
Swim
  • 41m 22s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have only been swimming for 4 months so I was the most afraid of this segment. I just kept telling myself to stay relaxed and it will be over before you know it. The one thing that really concerned me at the start was that my stomach starting growling with hunger...uh oh. There was nothing I could do about it at this point...at least my chin had stopped bleeding. The start was pretty uneventful. There was a little bumping but not too bad. I have done a lot of OWS which really helped. My sighting was great and I was at the 1st buoy in no time. Along the back stretch I had to stop twice when I lost sight of the buoys but otherwise it was pretty clear sailing. I did struggle a bit down the last stretch. When I rounded the buoy, I got a cramp in my calf, which never happened before. I stopped and stretched it out and started off again. I sometimes have a problem when I swim that if I start swallowing water, I start to gag...of course this happened as well. I had to stop several more times and I had drifted off course a bit. I finally finished and ran toward transition.
What would you do differently?:

Considering I couldn't swim 50 yds 4 months ago, I was very happy. I just need more time in the pool and continue to develop better form
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I was in no rush so I took my time in transition. My bike was on the exact opposite end of the swim entrance so it took a while to get over there. I took off my wetsuit with no problem and got ready for the ride

Nothing...if this was shorter race, I would have had a little more sense of urgency.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't know what to expect on the bike as I have not been riding for 3 weeks with knee problems. I was just hoping to not feel any pain. It was early on that I realized this was going to be a pain free ride...nice. There were some steep hills at the beginning but where I live, there are huge hills everywhere so it did not mother me at all. For the middle 30 or so miles, it is just flat and fast. I only put aerobars on my bike on Wednesday so I had a grand total of 20 minutes on them before the race. I felt great on them and they really made the ride more comfortable. For some reason, I really screwed up my nutrition. I think it was just a lack of racing experience but I did not drink enough water or eat enough food. Since I was hungry before the swim, I should have been focussed on eating as much as could and for some reason I simply did not do this and I was about the pay the price

Obviously eat and drink more. I felt great on the bike and did not feel like I pushed it too hard.
Transition 2
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

Pretty good transition, I didn't rush but I didn't sit around either. Overall I was happy
Run
  • 2h 30m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Ahhhhh the run, fianlly we are at my event. I have been a runner since I was 12 and I was looking forward to getting into my comfort zone. I came out of T2 and felt pretty good. I came through the 1st mile in 8:00, nice right on pace...uhh oh, something doesn't feel right. At 1.5 miles, I started feeling week....at 2 miles I had feeling I was in trouble...at 3 miles I was dead. My whole body just felt utterly exhausted. I was severally lacking calories and in hydration. For the first time in my life, I had to walk during a race, and there would be a lot more of that. I ran the flats and downhills and walked the uphills. My stomach felt terrible so I was only drinking water (dumb mistake #38). By mile 6 I knew the only way I was going to finish was if I started to get some calories. I tried a pepsi and my body said YES, THAT IS WHAT I NEED. Next stop I tried HEED..YES, NOW YOU ARE GETIING IT DUMB@#$. Okay, I finally got the hint. It was too late to have a good run but it would at least carry me through the finish. I took a water and either HEED or Pepsi at each aid station. I ran when I could, walked when I couldn't. The last two miles are pretty much downhill but as I tried to run, my right calf and left foot would cramp horribly. Okay, we will take a nice walk to the finish. In the last 1.5 miles, the only thing I ran was the finishers chute and that was only because it was lined with people and I had to run. It might have been the longest 200 meters of my life.

Drink and eat, drink and eat, drink and eat...now write that 300 more times until it sinks in

Drink and eat, drink and eat, etc.
Post race
Warm down:

I collapsed on a chair and put a wet towel over my head. I had this frozed electolyte popsicycle that was pretty nice. I then went into the lake. My feet started cramping like crazy but they eventually settled down. I knew I should eat and drink but my body was not cooperating. I went to my car and turned on the A/C as I was really hot. I drank a little water and started to feel a bit better. I went around and said goodbye to the people I knew and began my 4 hour drive home. After about 1/2 hour, I knew I wasn't doing well and pulled over the side of the road and got sick. This happened 3 more times until my stomach finally settled down. It was then that I knew I was going to have major problems if I couldn't drink. When I finally got home, I went to a local medical center and they gave me two bags of fluid. By noon on Monday, I was feeling pretty good. Regardless of all this, it was a great race and I am so excited to have finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't account properly for the change temp during the day. What started as overcast and cool turned into full sun and 90 degrees. It is easy to get dehydrated on the bike because unlike running, it is not as easy to notice how hot you are.

Event comments:

This is a great race and the support is amazing. I could not have a picked a better race for my first HIM

Last updated: 2005-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:22 | 2112 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 861/179
Overall: 1262/1262
Performance:
Suit: Full Orca s-1
Course: Rectangle clockwise swim and pretty smooth clear water
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:57:20 | 56 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/179
Overall: 555/1262
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Out and back course with hills on the beginning and end. The middle portion is all flat with just some small rolling hills
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:50
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:30:50 | 13.1 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/179
Overall: 0/1262
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back double loop with lots of hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-08-23 9:04 AM

Expert
Subject: Timberman Triathlon Half Ironman

2005-08-23 9:22 AM
in reply to: #231646

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: Timberman Triathlon Half Ironman

Great job getting through it. I made some of the same mistakes - not eating or drinking enough on the bike. I think it was kind of deceiving - while we were on the bike it was mainly overcast and I didn't feel like I was sweating a ton, but obviously I lost a lot of fluid and it took quite a while to get it back on the run, which was just brutal with that sun and heat. Thank God for all the ice water sponges and hoses along the way. Great swim, too, looks like you were a few minutes ahead of me coming out of the water. Congrats!

2005-08-23 9:27 AM

Pro
Andover
Man, Mark... that sounds like a tough day! But, look at it this way, it can only get better from here! CONGRATS on your 1st 1/2 IM!

Glad to hear the swim went well--even though you had a couple issues you got through it. I didn't realize you have only been swimming for 4 months! That was a good split you had.

Also glad to hear that the aerobars worked for you and that your knee didn't cause you a problem. Too bad about the nutrition though. An 18.95 avg, not pushing it, and light o the nutrition is pretty darn good!

Really sorry to hear about the run. But, at least you know what caused your problems and you'll be able to make some changes next time around.

Get some rest and drink up!

Rob
2005-08-23 9:30 AM

Champion
Still, you had a great race despite the problems. It's taken me a while too to learn how much to eat and drink, especially on the longer races. Glad you had a good time, now you have something to shoot for on the next one!
2005-08-23 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Mark,

Does this mean you are not going to clip the Kelp for me in Rhode Island. (LOL).

Really, a great race report and you are one tough guy to have gone through all that. I had no clue you have only been swimming for a few months your time was great. The dried blood didnt attract any fresh water sharks either which was good!

Not sure what to say other than you finished under what sounds like incredibly difficult circumstances. Afterall, that is why we do these crazy races to finish. remember IMLP in 07.

Look forward to seeing you soon..recover well.

Seth
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman Triathlon Half Ironman Rss Feed