Albuquerque, New Mexico
United States
Sport Systems
Total Time = 1h 27m 8s
Overall Rank = 318/480
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke up way too early again. I can never get any rest before a race. Finished packing up, ate half a bagel with some crunchy Jif, drank a couple of bottles of water and some gatorade G2.
Event warmup:

Got there in plenty of time, even leaving later than I planned. Being on a military base, there's a lot of security to get through, so we planned on leaving at 5:30am. Ended up being close to 6 when we drove off, but made it to the gate at about 6:20. Only had to wait slightly more than 10 minutes though, as the base guards did a great job of keeping the line moving.

Got set up (love assigned racks!) and then mingled with my friends. Overheard a guy asking for a helmet, so I offered my spare that I had in the car. He and I walked to the car to get it, then I went for a 1/4 mile jog around the track next to transition. We were about 20 minutes from start time, so I headed for one more bathroom stop. While in line, a volunteer took some of us in to the pool area to relieve the line some. Well, the men's room was closed! So the couple of other guys and myself had to run to the next gym over and use THOSE facilities. Slightly stressful, but made it back to the start with 4 minutes to spare (although I missed the National Anthem and Color Guard).
Swim
  • 09m 16s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Final leg here. Hopped in the pool and started swimming. Started off with a slight cramp in my left calf, but it went away after 1.5 lengths. No other real issues from there on out, just weaving through the throng of people. I suppose I'm a stronger swimmer than I give myself credit for, especially compared to my slow run, so I'm usually trying to get by a lot of swimmers in the pool.

Throughout the 8 lengths of the pool, I passed about a dozen or so other swimmers. Well, actually it was closer to 2 dozen. One wall had easily a dozen people hanging out catching their breath, so I flew under the lane divider and kept going. Half way through, I could hear Diane and my friends, Jay and Kumi, cheering. Jay finished about 25 minutes before me, so he came in to the pool to root me on to the finish line. Great friends make this so much more fun!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing at all. It was survival at times in the pool, being that crowded, so I can't complain about my times.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

This is Run to Bike for this race.

Had a much better transition than I've had in the past. I did really well jogging all the way to my rack and getting my shoes switched out. I had a pretty good plan and it worked for me: Hat off, helmet on, no gloves, running shoes off, bikes shoes on, sip or two of gatorade, flip my run belt around, and go. Jogged my bike to the mount line and took off.

Nice to see another friend, Tim, there at the bike mount cheering me on!

Nothing...well, except hit my Lap button at the right time on my Garmin. I forgot it until 1/10th of a mile on the bike.
Bike
  • 42m 43s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off strong. This course goes near the flight line and you can see some of the commercial airliners taking off almost right over you. A nice treat and keeps the miles ticking away giving you something to look at. The course is a big Y, basically, with the second part of the Y having the rollers. There's a decent climb back up that takes some spinning, but beyond that, it's a pretty fast course.

I felt good until about mile 9, then my stomach was slightly upset. Nothing terrible, but I backed off some to settle down.

I think I could have pushed it a little more and get my average up some more. No sense saving legs in a reverse triathlon
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

This is Bike to Swim.

Did well here. Once off the bike, I ran it all the way to my rack, helmet off, glasses off, shoes off, race belt off, quick sip of gatorade, and off to the pool. OOPS! Forgot to take my socks off! Quick backtrack and NOW off to the pool with goggles in hand. Jogged all the way to the pool.

Nothing. Fast transition for me.
Run
  • 31m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out WAY too fast. Once I hit the start button (forgot for a short bit) I'm cruising along at 8min/miles. I don't run that fast.

Run was good, though. Just chugged along at my sub-11min/mile pace and made it to the transition.

I need to improve my speed. Something I will work on this year.
Post race
Event comments:

This is a well-organized event, in it's 34th running. I'd definitely do it again!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-03-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:16 | 437 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/24
Overall: 168/480
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 50 meter pool, serpentine swim
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:43 | 12.43 miles | 17.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/24
Overall: 286/480
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:34 | 03.11 miles | 10m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/24
Overall: 411/480
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-09 7:17 AM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Subject: Jay Benson Triathlon

2011-05-09 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3488710

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Jay Benson Triathlon

nice job!!!  Congrats on the great effort!!!

2011-05-09 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Jay Benson Triathlon
Nice race Steve!
2011-05-09 7:15 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque