walked down the beach
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 37m
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Holy Jellyfish batman. This was a survival swim. Seriously. I actually had not planned on doing this swim but I got to the venue early enough to sign up so I figured what the heck. Also I was feeling guilty I missed a swim earlier in the week. There were only 17 people who signed up. Choices were 800 yards, 1.2 miles or 2.4 miles. Due t the massive numbers of jelly fish many people dropped to 800 yards and only one person did 2.4 miles.

So we get going and almost right away we were i nthe middle of ridiculous numbers of jelly fish. It was really quite dreadful and I couldnot imagine they would last but they did. I almost quit right at the first buoy (there were only 3 buoys) when I got a bad sting on the left side of my face. The only thing I can say is I was thankful to have my full wetsuit on. You would think you were Ok and then you would swim into another storm of them. I probanly got stung at least 10 times on my face. I could feel them all over the place. It was gross.

At the second buoy there was another girl, God bless her, swimming in a bikini. We agreed teh jellyfish were ridiculous. We were pretty much the same pace and I told her to dreaft off me because at least I had a wetsuit on. She declined but I kept my eye on her and whenever we swam into a group of jellyfish I would ask her if she was OK. Between the second and third buoys it wasn't horrible but there were more JF on the way in.

Mostly I did not push the pace whatsoever, did a LOT of breast stroking to get the critters out of the way and avoid being stung in the face again so I am pretty pleased with my time. I could have beena little faster if I had not been looking out for the other girl but geez o pete it was the right thing to do.
What would you do differently?:

Not swim in a sea of jellyfish
Post race
Warm down:

When I got out Carmelita and her hubby were on the beach. As soon as I got out it was apparent I had been stung multiple times all over my feet as well. Also on my wrist. Mostly I was trying to calm down the jellyfish stings

What limited your ability to perform faster:

JELLYFISH

Event comments:

Everyone got an award as there were not many of us. The guy who did 2.4 should have gotten a huge trophy. No WAY would I have gone back for more and when I got the bad bite on my face I seriously considered doing only 800. They canceled the swim for the tri to be held the next day due to the fact that every person who did the OWS was stung quite badly. We went to dinner later and along the pier there are just swarms and swarms of jellyfish......BLECH

Last updated: 2011-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:00 | 2112 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: Blue seventy
Course: triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: