Tri4gold
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 27m 32s
Overall Rank = 65/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/50
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4, out the door at about 4:50. my mind must have been elsewhere b/c i kept going down 75 instead of veering off on 85, so i had to take 285 back over to 85. nothing like extra stress on race morning
Event warmup:

short jog and a short swim
Swim
  • 28m 47s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

well, i thought it went well, but it was about 4 minutes slower than last year. i did some zig zagging, nothing too major, but it was relatively smooth. don't know where i lost the time.
What would you do differently?:

form broke down towards the end. i really need to get in some longer swim workouts.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

would've liked to be around 1:30, but it wasn't bad. had a little trouble getting the wetsuit off of my heels. for some reason during the swim i kept thinking that i hadn't re-engaged the brakes from when i changed the wheels, so i made sure to check those.

not much. i keep thinking that i may try to go without socks, but i never make preparations to do so. also, i forgot my towel to step on to clean off my feet, so i had to use my neighbors. it was already dirty so i didn't feel too bad.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 31s
  • 25 miles
  • 22.55 mile/hr
Comments:

again, i thought the bike went well, but i was a minute slower compared to last year. started to feel it in the last 5 miles and i was worried that i may have cooked my legs.

not put the bike number sticker on the bar b/w my legs every again. that stupid thing curled up and was scraping my leg with every pedal stroke. i finally had to tear it off and put it in my jersey pocket. its going on the seat post from now on.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

did a slow moving dismount and hit the ground running. t2 went well.
Run
  • 49m 18s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

it took at least 400 yards to get my watch band on, my race belt on, and my visor on. but at least that kind of kept my mind off of my high heartrate. i think the truns i've been doing helped, but the dead legs didn't bother me. i knew they would loosen up around the 1 mile mark. my right foot was kind of numb though. maybe the bike shoes are too tight?

Most of the run went well. Knowing the course helped b/c i knew how to pace it better. The little rollers at the end were a lot harder than they were at the beginning. I felt on the verger of loosing my lunch after the last water stop, and i kept thinking that if i needed to blow, i needed to do it soon and not in front of everybody at the finish. luckily the tummy settled down.

not much. i was around a minute faster than last year, but the course was slightly different so not a fair comparison. maybe could have pushed harder in a couple of spots, but its so dicey for me on tri runs. i have to err to the side of caution b/c i've walked too many times in races trying to recover from pushing it.
Post race
Warm down:

got some gatorade and pizza. saw Bill and Natasha and chatted for a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

general fitness. i think i'm kind of reaching the limit of what 8 training hours a week can get me. so i either need to find more time in the day, or get a coach to show me how to be more efficient w/ my training.

Event comments:

Great event. Very well organized and lots of volunteers and fan support. I'll keep doing this one for as long as it doesn't conflict with other plans.

Last updated: 2011-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:47 | 1500 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/50
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: long rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: