Big River Running
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 31m 44s
Overall Rank = 118/227
Age Group = F40-49
Age Group Rank = 11/28
Pre-race routine:

When I saw this race on the calendar at the LRS, I had to sign up. One of my cousins died from melanoma last fall. This race was for her and her family.

Woke up around 7, had a bagel with peanut butter and took my time getting ready. The race wasn't until 9 and it was close to home so I didn't have to leave too early. Tried to decide what to wear. It was cold, rainy and just plain ugly. Left the house around 8:15.
Event warmup:

Not much. It was a lot more crowded than I expected given the weather and the fact that it's the first year for this race. I had forgotten to pick up my packet on Friday so had to do it when I got to the race. The lines were long and by the time I got my bib and T-shirt, it was almost race time. I did manage a short jog back to my car to get my watch, but that was about it.
Run
  • 31m 44s
  • 3.13 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Runners started at 9am with walkers starting 15 min later. I'm glad they split us up because there were about twice as many walkers as runners and since this was an out and back on a pathway, there wasn't a lot of room. I started out closer to the front than the back and for most of the race it seemed to be about the right place for me. I didn't get passed too much - just the occasionally kid who would sprint ahead and then stop to walk. The first 2 miles went well and I was on pace to hit my goal time of sub-30. The third mile is where things fell apart. I strained my left calf at some point during this last week and the speedwork that I did on Thursday aggravated it. I took Friday off and by Saturday morning it felt a lot better so I didn't think too much about it - until that 3rd mile when it decided to let me know that it hadn't gone away. I actually had to stop for a minute with about 1/2 mile to go. At that point my goal time was out the window and I just wanted to make it to the finish line. I finally crossed the line, got some water and headed home.
What would you do differently?:

Not strain my calf the week before the race?
Post race
Warm down:

No warm-down, just the walk back to my car to try to get dry and warm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just the injury - everything else seemed to be working for me. My breathing was good and my pace was good for the first 2 miles.

Event comments:

This was a great race for a great cause but I think it was a little bigger than they expected. Parking was an issue if you got there late and if they get more runners in the next couple of years, they may have to re-think the course. It's a nice flat course but as an out and back it has limits as to how many people will be able to run.

Last updated: 2011-01-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:44 | 03.13 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/28
Overall: 118/227
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back on walking/bicycle path through Legacy Park with a short stretch on Mid Rivers Mall Drive.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-16 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: Miles Against Melanoma

2011-05-19 10:21 PM
in reply to: #3501615

User image

Regular
Salem
Subject: RE: Miles Against Melanoma
good job on finishing the race! Hope the leg gets to feeling better.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miles Against Melanoma Rss Feed