General Discussion Race Reports! » Magellan Chicago Spring Half Marathon & 10K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Magellan Chicago Spring Half Marathon & 10K - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events/Magellan Development Group, LLC
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 20m 51s
Overall Rank = 1538/2123
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 250/367
Pre-race routine:

Stumbled around trying not to wake Michael up. Most everything was packed and ready to go. Ran to the train to try to catch the one that was coming. Made it.
Event warmup:

Sat around in a friend's apartment. She lives right above the start line, which was great since it was cold, windy and raining. Was planning to go out with the 11:30 pace group but never found them as we went the line at the last minute and they funnel you in a weird way from the highrise complexes onto the path.
Run
  • 2h 20m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I had decided to wear a regular watch rather than the Garmin. I didn't want to stare at it looking at my pace and the distance left til the next mile marker. Didn't find a pace group so I went out on my own. Lost my friend but knew she was behind me for for at least first half mile I kept looking back for her. Her PR is faster than mine but she hasn't been training much the past few weeks so I thought about trying to keep up with her. Didn't see her so just went on my own.

1: 10:51 Oh crap I'm going too fast! And I wish I was wearing gloves.

2: 10:36 Still going too fast.

3: 10:17 Well this is great but I have a long way to go...

4: 10:25 Hmm still feeling good, but it's only mile 4.

5: 10:26 I'm glad I didn't wear gloves. I think I could see the mile 8 sign here on the other side of the path. Around here it was SO windy at a bend in the path next to the lake I knew mile 8 was going to suck.

6: 10:36 Feeling good. Hit a 10k PR. Took a Gu.

7: 10:54 Turnaround. Oh. My. God. The wind. Yes it was windy and raining pretty much the entire time. But the headwind. Unbelievable. I think it was 25 mph at least according to a friend. I also saw my friend Kim, who I had lost earlier. She wasn't far behind me.

8: 11:27 Wind. Slowest mile. But this was faster than what I had intended to run overall!! That bend in the path was insane. Just tried to fight against the wind. But kept telling myself to not tense up or fight so hard that I expend energy that I shouldn't. It somehow worked. Luckily I felt good overall.

9: 10:57 Wind. Still feeling good. Never wanted to stop but a few times I told myself to just Gut It the F*^% Out. I knew it'd be worth it.

10: 10:27 Wind. Felt strong, 10 mile race PR.

11: 11:22 Wind.

12 and 13.1: 21:26 Wiiiind. Mile 12 marker must have been dismantled due to wind. It was gone. I may have been missing a minute or two or whatever, cause of not hitting the lap. But I picked it up for mile 12. Mile 13 may have been a hair slower. I had hopes by the last 3 miles that I might be able to come in under 2:20. I picked it up and while it didn't happen, I never felt pukey or too dizzy or anything.

Just after Mile 13 I came back in to the highrise complex and Michael yelled to me and tried to take my picture but said I was moving too fast, haha. I finished strong, not too far over 2:20. I only got cold once I stopped moving. It was sort of hard to get my first words out to Michael, but nothing was really wrong. I was just cold and had been moving the fastest I ever have for the longest period of time. And it was nonstop. I didn't walk at all. Only slowed just a few times when taking water. Most times I grabbed and kept up the pace. Took water at every stop.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. It was actually great that I didn't find the pace group or my friend as I would have finished at a slower pace. It was also the right move to not wear the Garmin. I wore a regular watch for my last 5k and PR'd that as well. I'm trying to run more in tune with my body and not what the watch says.

This was the race I've been trying to run for awhile. I PR'd by 25 minutes. And I think on a cool day, with less WIND I could go even faster. I was mentally and physically in sync. I didn't let the wind, rain and dodging of puddles throw me for a loop. I've lost 19 pounds these past 3 months and I've done speedwork. I ran my ass off and am thrilled with my performance.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a banana and a few things from the after party and hightailed it back to Kim's apartment to completely change my clothing. I had some banana bread that I made, a brownie that someone else made and a cup of hot chocolate to try to help me warm up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

WIND.

Event comments:

I did the 10k in 2009. It's a good race, nice course. Too bad the weather was so bad, couldn't hang outside after.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-03-18 12:00 AM
Running
02:20:51 | 13.1 miles | 10m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 250/367
Overall: 1538/2123
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on the lakefront path. Head south with the tailwind, come back against the headwind.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-19 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: Magellan Chicago Spring Half Marathon & 10K

2011-05-19 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3507991

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Magellan Chicago Spring Half Marathon & 10K

Outstanding, Lauren! You have really reached a new level as a runner! Congratulations! Leaving the Garmin at home was a great move, as was running your own race.

2011-05-19 11:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Congrats again, you rocked this race! Loved the mile-by-mile play-by-play of your thoughts.  Awesome!
2011-05-19 12:59 PM

User image

Congratulations Lauren!  You earned it for sure!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Magellan Chicago Spring Half Marathon & 10K Rss Feed