General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Zen Run Tonight... raises some questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-22 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Subject: Zen Run Tonight... raises some questions

I completed my first triathlon yesterday and commented on it here.  Today I did a 35 mile group ride at 19.3 mph on rolling hill terrain...  average power at 215.  So tonight I decide to go for a run.  I started out on my 7.5 mile loop at a pace of about 95% LTHR.  I could tell right away that I felt GREAT!  I decided to to go a full ten and pushed the last mile to 105% of LTHR.  It was a wonderful run.

Anyway it got me thinking since this is really my first full season of cycling.  How does the fatigue add up for cycling miles versus running miles?  Let's say I rider for 90 minutes at 95% LTHR versus run for 90 minutes at LTHR, why do I feel so much fresher a few hours after the bike versus a few hours after the run?  I would go so far as to say that I actually feel like the biking aids my running recovery.  Does anyone else feel this way?  Is there any research to substantiate what I seem to be experiencing?

2011-05-22 9:57 PM
in reply to: #3512882

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Zen Run Tonight... raises some questions

Congrats on your first (tri) race.

There's lots to say here, but one important point is that the quads and calf muscles undergo eccentric contraction (they are lengthening as they contract).  (There is some evidence that at higher speeds the hamstrings experience the same thing, but if I'm recalling correctly (maybe not) this claim is controversial.)  The damage due to eccentric contraction is thought to require a longer time to recover.

2011-05-22 10:51 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I only really do very easy riding but I do find that except for my bottom, I seem to have very little ill effects from riding. I sometimes ride an hour to work, run easy an hour at lunch, ride an hour home. Sometimes I just ride. (most of the time I just run).

I find that an easy hour bike ride impacts my lunch time run greatly. I don't necesserly feel sore but I have less pep in my legs and I feel like I am working harder to go the same pace as if I didn't run, I cannot do a hard run workout. However, when I ride home, after running, so my second ride of the day, I don't really find that there is a difference in my ride home whether I run or not, the run doesn't effect my ride home.

I also find that on days I don't run, if I bike, my next day running is better. Although, for the most part, it is better for me to do a recovery run than a recovery bike ride.

On days that I bike and run I find that if I don't bike the next morning I am well recovered by lunch for a hard run workout.
2011-05-22 10:52 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California

As a long time cyclist and a newish runner, I can pile on endless miles in the saddle, and have always been able to. You'd have to pace yourself somewhat carefully if you rode 100 mi/day for a week, but as the AIDS ride proves every year, noobies can do it.

Running? Ha! It's received, divine wisdom that if you exceed an increase of 10 to 15% of weekly volume you'll get an injury, perhaps one that ends your running forever. The most popular plans have light recovery runs or days off at least every other day. Look at it this way, imagine if runners tried to go hard on back to back days like pro tour cyclists do. Dean Karnazes proves one can run dozens of miles a day, but not with the intensity you can put in on the bike.

OTOH, for me at least, running seems to help my bike, but not the other way around.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Zen Run Tonight... raises some questions Rss Feed