General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Arrowhead 3rd Annual Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Arrowhead 3rd Annual Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Arrowhead, California
United States
Mountain Multiports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 8s
Overall Rank = 242/294
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 38/45
Pre-race routine:

Arrive 5:30am, park bike, check in, set-up transition area, scout IN-OUT chutes. Check Beach and water temp.
Event warmup:

ride bike up and down hill to Arrowhead resort to loosen up from drive. Run up and down hill a few times to get all muscles going. Don wetsuit and get to beach early. Swim in & out to 1st buoy 4 times (300 yards total) to warm up and acclimate.
Swim
  • 31m 55s
  • 600 yards
  • 05m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

5200 feet above sea level fresh water lake. My buoyancy and technique seemed adequate I just couldn't breath. The entire swim was one very slow crawl punctated with bouts of choking and hyperventilating. My saving grace was being able to relax and compose myself and just float when I got too tired.
What would you do differently?:

Anaerobic training for swim to help with altitude. Better wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

300 yards from swim exit to T1. I had my suit unzipped, 1/2 off and goggles off as soon as I exited water. T1 time includes long run to bike.

someone in T1 started talking to me and I got distracted. I lost maybe 30 seconds to a minute as I lost focus. I also should have run through my T1 in my head during my run to the t1 area
Bike
  • 44m 24s
  • 10 miles
  • 13.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Fun, Fun, Fun. Very technical made for quick interesting and stimulatiing ride. Altitude made me puff a bit so I was having trouble guagung whether I was going hard enough. I figured as long as I kept passing people I was doing okay. I was pretty happy with the ride.

In retrospect I guess in a race this short I don't need to worry as much about conserving for a run. I would have gone a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 entrance at bottom of sttep hill. Difficult to prepare for a jump off. You have to ride your brakes all the way down until the dismount. With my running shoes I have to wear socks. I wish I didn't. spent extra 30 seconds putting on socks

unclip earlier so i could jump off bike.
Run
  • 26m 15s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I got a side stitch at top of hill as you leave T2. I walked for about 40 seconds to let it subside and I took off running. No stiffness from bike transition, probably from nature of bike ride in and out of saddle at different speeds and cadences. Kept pace a another runner until last mile and took off for finish. I was wheezing until I stopped running and then I was fine. My muscles handled the stress fine I just had trouble with altitude. I remembered to focus on cadence and ask volunteers how much farther.

Run a little harder. The other runner got more benefit from pacing me than I her.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around eating post race food while it was still there

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Oxygen debt, inexperience kept me slightly conservative on bike and run

Event comments:

Post race activities only really good for people staying at resort. Had to wait until evening for free concert. Free Alcoholic drink voucher not very attractive since I had a long drive home. I guess It would be great if I was staying weekend. One big problem no convenient restrooms. No where to go during race. had to walk up steep hill to use restroom in resort or go into nearby McDonalds

Last updated: 2005-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:55 | 600 yards | 05m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 0/294
Performance: Bad
Suit: Body Glove surfing style fullsuit
Course: point to point from Resort Beach to boat ramp. Out to first bouy 100yrds turn right go 400yrds turn right and 400yrds back in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:24 | 10 miles | 13.51 mile/hr
transition time included actual average speed was 14.4
Wind: Some
Course: very hilly. Most grades steep but short. 3 very quick downills. 2 lane mountain road with cars. Course well marked with CHP assistance in directing traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:15 | 03.1 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Course: hilly. Shady. all up and down. fun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-08-25 9:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
Subject: Lake Arrowhead 3rd Annual Triathlon

2005-08-26 11:58 AM
in reply to: #234217

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: Lake Arrowhead 3rd Annual Triathlon

Congrats on your race. That is one hard race and every year I swear I won't do it again...until registration opens the following year.

Take care, maybe next year we can meet

Tom

2005-08-27 7:43 PM
in reply to: #234217

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Subject: RE: Lake Arrowhead 3rd Annual Triathlon
There was a great bathroom in the little strip mall right there in the parking lot upstairs. Great job in the race. The toughest sprint I've ever done!

Edited by TriBodyboarder 2005-08-27 7:44 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Arrowhead 3rd Annual Triathlon Rss Feed