Start 2 Finish, Inc.
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 00m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 82/102
Pre-race routine:

We stayed at the race site hotel, so I woke up around 5AM, drank some Gatorade and got dressed. Ate very little before going out to set up my transition area. I had racked my bike the previous night, so it did not take long to get everything set up. Then I headed back to the room to use the bathroom and grab my wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Got the wetsuit on, and I think I had it fit me better than I ever have before. I spent a lot of time making sure it was snug and it felt great. I got in the water and swam some and just floated around getting used to the temps. Saw the wife and kids and swam over to them before getting out and lining up for the swim.
Swim
  • 30m 23s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt good going out into the swim. I tried to focus on getting from bouy to bouy. I finally got into a "zone" after I rounded the 2nd bouy. The swim went smooth until I got into the channel and I almost swam into the wall. It was cool because you could hear people cheering while you swam through the channel. I took a shot in the head after I rounded the last bouy that shook me up for a second, but it was short lived. I really thought I was going faster and was hoping to finish the swim around the 27-28 mark.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe go harder on the swim, I tend to want to just get through the swim and stay in a comfortable pace.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

long transition for me since I had a low number, my right ankle got caught up in my wetsuit, but it did not really slow me that much.

not much
Bike
  • 1h 14m 55s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.90 mile/hr
Comments:

As soon as I got on the bike, the rain started. There was a headwind for the first 12-14 miles I am guessing and at times it was an all out storm. The rain stung a bit at times as it hit me. I am not a huge fan of riding in the rain, so I was sure to take the turns very carefully. My bike computer did not work, so I was unsure of my speed. All in all, I was just happy to be racing. A friend loaned me a bike on Wed, since mine was stolen that Tuesday, so I was thankful to be out there. The last 11 mile or so, we had a tailwaind which was nice.

1. Lock my garage better so my bike would not get stolen. 2. Maybe a computer would have been nice to see my speeds. 3. I think I could have averaged over 20.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

I had trouble getting out of my shoes coming in to T2 and then when I got to my rack, someone had put there bike in my spot. My running shoes were soaked due to the rain, so I went sockless and got out on the course. Bad idea.

bring a bag for my running shoes to be placed.
Run
  • 1h 11m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

This sucked for me. AGAIN.I started feeling the blisters at mile 2 and it got extremely worse as I tried to run more. I could see the blodd at around mile 3. I stopped and walked way to much but every step hurt. I think I should have just went with the wet socks, but not sure it would have helped since my feet had been wet for 90 minutes already. I was off the bike at the 1:50 point and I had a chance to get my goal time of 2:45-2:50, but my run wasn;t there. Later we found out the run was long by 1/2 mile, but it is all about the run for me, and need to figure out how to get better.

I need to get mentally tougher on the run. Nothing else to say. Extremely disappointed with it.
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed a towel and a drink and found my family, that always helps me feel better. Stood around briefly congratulating friends and then hit the showers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The thinderstorm did not help, having my bike stolen 5 days prior didn't help and the blisters on my feet did not help! I could have done without any of those.

Event comments:

Loved the new venue. S2F does a great job at putting on a race! Looking forward to next year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-11-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:23 | 1640 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/102
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: It was a man made lake swim that was a rectangle swim which then turned left and swam through a channel to the exit. The depth of the lake was only about 4ft the entire way.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:07
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:14:55 | 24.85 miles | 19.90 mile/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: pretty flat course, almost a big loop
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:11:23 | 06.21 miles | 11m 29s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: flat course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-23 11:16 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: Memphis in May Triathlon

2011-05-24 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3515141

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: RE: Memphis in May Triathlon

Good race!!

You had a good bike split, given the bike issues and an unfamiliar bike.

I can't run sockless in most shoes, especially when wet.  Even with my socks, I was expecting to get some blisters along the run.  But, I'm sold on my socks now.  Here is a link to them.  They worked great, even while soaking wet.  I put them on in T1 and never had an issue the rest of the way, and I was expecting something with the wet weather.

http://www.rei.com/product/696684/wigwam-ironman-triathlete-pro-quarter-socks-2-pair

2011-05-24 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
In hindsight, I think anything would have helped me since my feet were already soaked! I really thought the rain would hold off until later!
2011-05-24 1:51 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Way to gut it out despite the blister problems, James. Those can be brutal. Hopefully we'll have better weather and a chance to get the BT Group together next year!
2011-05-25 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3516390

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

scoobysdad - 2011-05-24 1:51 PM Way to gut it out despite the blister problems, James. Those can be brutal. Hopefully we'll have better weather and a chance to get the BT Group together next year!

Party at Rich's room next year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memphis in May Triathlon Rss Feed