General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple T - Race #3: Olympic PM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Triple T - Race #3: Olympic PM - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Portsmouth, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 31m 48s
Overall Rank = 38/350
Age Group = Co-ed Team
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Big thanks to TrishM, rgr375, and Scribner for letting us hang out at the lodge between this morning's race and this one rather than driving 30’ back to our crappy hotel in frackin Wheelersburg. Note to self: stay closer to the race site next time.
Event warmup:

This race goes bike -- swim -- run.

I love getting the chance to race with Alaina. We are so evenly matched that neither partner slows the other down and I think that inspires us to better performances. So much can go wrong over this long weekend and it would be easy to take out frustrations and externalize our internal suffering, but we’re both competitive enough to put on the blinders and focus on our singular goal: winning this race.
Swim
  • 24m 10s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Off the bike and into the wetsuit which I bought for a steal at the end of my first season and has been impinging my shoulders like a straight-jacket ever since.

Using the grocery bag trick to perfection once again this year, I did a decent job of pulling the sleeves fully on, but with all the sweat and grime, it wasn’t perfect and my shoulders were aching after only 200 yards.

My legs didn’t cramp in the cold, but I couldn’t pull much water and got frustrated. Not my best performance. That said, I came out only about a minute after Alaina and was ready to start running without slowing her up.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Bike
  • 1h 14m 50s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 19.88 mile/hr
Comments:

The sweetest part about this race is that Alaina and I start and finish together as a draft-legal team. We did a great job of drafting on this race, where I pulled on the flats and rollers, and she paced us on the two grueling climbs.

I was able to continue hitting 220 - 240 watts on my segments, which left me with plenty in the tank and cruised us along at a good clip. Only a couple of people passed us and stayed ahead of us on this out-n-back on the just-repaved route 125. The time we put in at Kensington metropark and on our CX bikes climbing the hills around here definitely paid off, as neither of us ever felt sapped on these courses.

After the race, this dude who was racked near Alaina told me, "you've gotten a lot better this year. I was trying to catch you for a long time today." Mofo was a strong rider too, so this compliment meant a lot to me. It's cool to hear positivity, eh?
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Run
  • 49m 27s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 07m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Back on to the same damn Lamp Black trail run. It was hotter now than this morning, sunny in the mid-80s, and my aero helmet left me really cooking. I wore a covered hat rather than my usual visor to protect the dome from the kamikaze horseflies that will follow you for miles looking for a tasty bite of flesh, but I think this exacerbated my core temperature and I was definitely overheating.

My lungs were starting to tighten up and I was feeling queasy and asthmatic. Michigan has been cold and wet for the last 7 months, and my body was obviously not acclimated for summer. My legs were springy and able to hold 7:30 m/m with ease, so we held that pace, knowing that whatever we could save for tomorrow’s half-Ironman would be to the greatest benefit. I took a few salt stick tabs and drank water at every aid station, trying to keep cool.
What would you do differently?:

More fluids
Post race
Warm down:

Hit up the ice creek and as much food as I could chow. Started feeling very lightheaded and space-cadet head. Needed sleep and water. Took in not enough of either.

Last updated: 2011-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:10 | 1640 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/350
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Same as AM Oly
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:50 | 24.8 miles | 19.88 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Out-n-back on route 125
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:49:27 | 06.55 miles | 07m 33s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out-n-back hilly trail run on Lamp Black Trail
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-05-25 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: American Triple T - Race #3: Olympic PM

2011-05-27 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3519058

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: American Triple T - Race #3: Olympic PM

I thought 'Sconnies and Canucks only say "eh"?

Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple T - Race #3: Olympic PM Rss Feed