United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 34s
Overall Rank = 3/630
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/29
Pre-race routine:

Drank my usual protien/carb shake and drank my preworkout mix and ate banana.
Event warmup:

1/2 mile of jogging to test the calve muscles and shins. They have been wrecked from speed work in the last 2 weeks and low overall volume so just trying to stretch out a bit and see how they were feeling.
Run
  • 1h 22m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I had been focusing on speed work this spring and have not hit much run volume at all so my plan for this race was to race it smart and even and to put all the strength and effort into using previous experience to carry me through the course.

Started off just right pace aiming for 6:20's the whole time and had 2 go out front quick and 3 of us together for the first 5k or so. There was little changing of position for this run. One younger guy came up the first significant hill balls out just after the 5k and opened a gap but then he lost his pace before mile 5 and it was me and one other dude for almost the rest of the race. Made a seriously funny mistake at mile 5 where my extremely loud and amazingly proud cheer crew was keeping me distracted... I was looking over at them waving and saying hi and I looked up at the intersection I was approaching and though I was supposed to turn so I did... but the course went straight not right:-) The volunteer was able to yell at me and I quickly turned back and got back to my pace without getting dropped by the other runner. Anyways, everything went exactly as planned and at mile 8 I popped a gu and started picking up the effort (pace stayed about the same but effort was up) then at about mile 9.5 there was a turn after the golf course and the last significant hill and I took it hard and upped the pace and the guy who had been drafting me dropped. So after that it was just me and my effort to keep sub-6's for the final 5k downhill to the finish. The only other exciting thing from there is that I felt the 4th place finisher coming up on me as I finished going down the main hill on 96->95 so I opened up the stride and just kept pushing to hold her off...

I would have to say that this was the least painful and probably most enjoyable half I've done. I'm about 10-15 lbs of muscle mass heavier this year and I was concerned it would slow me down but it's definitely helped the overall fitness. Fitness and being more rested (due to less training volume) combined with some pacing experience all contributed to making it a super fun day:-)
What would you do differently?:

Next year depending on the conditions and my fitness level I will probably shoot to PR the distance on this course by going sub 1:20.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk the massive hills to the cars with Dan (@silentcs42) - who PR'd by like 10 minutes!!!!

Event comments:

I've said it in my past RR's for Stillwater event but I really do love this venue and it's just a great event to do. I will certainly do one of the distances again next year. It's 3 years running and a family tradition now. Maybe I'll have my 7 & 8 year old boys doing the 5k in 2012:-)

Last updated: 2011-05-30 12:00 AM
Running
01:22:34 | 13.1 miles | 06m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/29
Overall: 3/630
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88774804
Course: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/18737868 Somewhat hilly. Mostly a long slow climb up with a equal decent to the finish over the last 5k.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-30 6:54 PM

User image

Regular
Shoreview, MN
Subject: Stillwater Half-Marathon

2011-05-31 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3524763

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: RE: Stillwater Half-Marathon
Nice job!  I'll have to look into this event for next year, thanks for the report!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stillwater Half-Marathon Rss Feed