General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Capital of Texas Tr2iathlon
90F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 34m 20s
Overall Rank = 194/1091
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 16/77
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 am...had cup of coffee and bowl of cereal..threw my gear in the Jeep and headed on out...about 45 minute drive from NB and parked in garage near the race. Followed other racers down to transition.
Event warmup:

Got my transition set up and then ran into a few buddies...watched the pros get out of the water...Andy Potts was way out ahead and I found out later that there a race volunteer had misrouted the other male pros...yikes...not sure if that had anything to do with the delay in the rest of the heats but we started 15-20 minutes late
Swim
  • 22m 41s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 31s / 100 meters
Transition 1
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

I'm always pretty disoriented coming out of the water, and it amazes me how some racers can get out and do a dead sprint through transition...I'm a zombie for 60+ seconds...hit the wet suit strippers and then found my bike.

What would you do differently?:

My main issue in T1 right now is keeping shoes clipped in. I use road bike shoes which are difficult to get into once you're riding (no heel loop and a latch that is hard to put on when riding). Oh well, yet another thing to put on my father's day / b-day wish list....tri bike shoes!
Bike
  • 1h 15m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off really hurting on the bike. My hamstrings were tightening up (I don't really kick in the swim so may need to get the legs more involved so they don't get shellshocked when I hit the bike). I was getting pretty bummed out because I was really happy with my swim, and it looked like I was about to blow it all on teh bike. Didn't realize until later that the first few miles of the loop are generally uphill. I was cursing myself that I should have done the longer rides on the weekends, but then hit the back stretch of the first loop and realized I was going to be ok. Was hoping to average over 20 mph but didn't quite get there...I think I need to add at least 2 more hours per week in the saddle to get over the 20 mph hump..I've been stuck on 3-4 hours per week which just won't hack it.

Get up early on weekends and add the extra hours in the saddle...I've got several of the longer Spinervals (2-3 hours) which I think would be great for the Olympic distance because they are heavily interval focused.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Came out pretty quick of transition but had to hit the ol' porto potty which wiped out the time savings! No big deal. Decided to go without socks (tried it in sprint last month), but shoved socks in my shirt pocket just in case.
Run
  • 50m 2s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Held a pretty steady pace throughout run but felt pretty slow. On second mile, I started feeling blister on left foot so put on sock. On third mile, I saw Ash, Sophie and Gracie, which really perked me up. I've been trying to run 5 times a week with less mileage per run, but so far it hasn't really improved my time...I'm going to keep doing it because it seems to allow me to recover more quickly and haven't had calf issues since I started.

Nothing really. I need to keep the 5x week running schedule and hopefully will see gradual improvement in my times.
Post race
Warm down:

Put two cold towels over my head and shoulders, and then gorged on pizza, fruit, muscle milk, power drinks and every other product they were giving away! Met up with Ash and the kids, and then we all drove back for a day at the Comal River...had enough energy to hit the diving board with my kids, so the training must be working because there is no way I could have done that last year after my races!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really, really, really need to put more time in the saddle if I expect to see any improvement. I tend to opt for spin classes given the quick intensitiy and music, but I really need to put in more hours outside or on the trainer.

On the run, I'm going to stick with my program which is 4x a week at 3.5-4 miles, and then one longer run per week. I need to add some speedwork in as well, which I may do with one of the 4 shorter runs during the week.

Last updated: 2011-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:41 | 1500 meters | 01m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/77
Overall: 0/1091
Performance:
Suit:
Course: The swim felt great...I pushed pretty hard the first 50-100 meters to get out of the washing machine and then had smooth water until the first buoy. We started running into the heat in front of us, but I found some bubbles from swimmer in my AG, so lined up behind him for the next 500+ meters. He started slowing down a little so I moved to the side and kept my pace. Had to weave through some additional swimmers but no big deal. Finally reached the ladder and got pulled out by a few volunteers.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:29 | 24.85 miles | 19.75 mile/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:02 | 06.21 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-06-01 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
In T1 looking for my Schwinn Huffy
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2011-06-01 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3527232

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston/Richmond area
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Good job! The wind on the first turn around, going uphill, was brutal.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed