Dirty Events Multisports , Xterra Race
76?F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 16m 3s
Overall Rank = 141/156
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/unk
Pre-race routine:

Hardly any sleep at all last night. I had a bagel with peanut butter, a banana and some coffee. I got to the race sight at 6:40 for an 8am start. Went down to the water and just tried to gather my thoughts. Man was I terrified.
Event warmup:

Just a little biking and some stretching
Swim
  • 21m 9s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Much better swim results than I thought I was going to have. I got off to a rocky start as I got kicked in the face which was a new experience. I think I might have tried to go too fast in the beginning and I was shot after the first 440yds but I knew that I had to just keep going.
What would you do differently?:

-Wore a full wetsuit - need to invest in one.
-Practiced open water swims
Transition 1
  • 07m 30s
Comments:

T1 one time was extremely long, mostly because of the (what felt like) long uphill walk from the lake to the transition area. Halfway up the hill, I toweled off my feet and put on my bike shoes. By the time I got to the transition area, I was a bit tired and took a minute to catch my breath and gather myself before heading out on the bike loop.

Entered a race without such an arduous journey to the transition location.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 11s
  • 11 miles
  • 10.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I passed a lot of people on the bike, but unfortunately, all of those people passed me on the runI knew that the bike segment would be the easiest for me and I knew I'd be able to take it easy a bit, but perhaps I took it too easy. I got into a group of riders about half way through the first loop, nice guys, but I think my socialness got the better of me and perhaps slowed me down.

I think I would have pushed a little harder, but also tried to keep a little in the tank for the run.
Transition 2
  • 05m 11s
Comments:

Another slow transition time. I didn't put socks on before the bike shoes at T1, so I had to put them onto wet feet at T2. I had practiced my T2 before, but never included puting on socks, so this slowed me a bit. I also used some of my T2 time to rest and wonder, "why the hell am I doing this?"

I should have out powder in my socks and shoes like I have read here so many times. I also need to get to a point in my training where I don't need to rest between a tough bike segment and a run.
Run
  • 37m 15s
  • 3 miles
  • 12m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Holy crap this was hard. The run was more like a hike that was up and down some of what felt like the steepest hills on Long Island. I had to walk more than I thought I would, but I also didn't expect the "run" to be like this. The "run" or should we call it hike, was extremely hard, lots of very steep hills that were almost like the steepest staircase you could imagine. I had to walk a lot more than I thought I was going to.

I need to train more off of a treadmill on 0 incline. I think I will do some leg weight training this winter to strengthen my lower body some and hopefully, that will pay off. I just need to run, run, run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to transition are with my wife and mother-in-law and drank a lot fluids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I know this sounds like a cop out but, I may have chosen a too difficult tri for my first time out. From what I have heard, the XTerra series races are very tough, and this one lived up to that billing. I am looking forward to doing an "on-road" triathlon next year. There was actually a lady there who said she has done 11 tris and this one was the hardest, so that gives me some confidence as I move forward.

Event comments:

I finished my first triathlon today. It is such an amazing feeling that I have right now. I feel a little like a superhero. I finished my first triathlon today and I can't tell you (but I am sure you all know) how great this feeling is. I finished it and, here's the great news, I didn't finish last, close (141/156) but not last.

I did the Schiff Scout Off Road Triathlon here on Long Island. It is an XTerra series race and it was way harder than I thought it would be. The "run" or should we call it hike, was extremely hard, lots of very steep hills that were almost like the steepest staircase you could imagine, but I did better on the swim than I thought I would do and the bike was so-so. I may have chosen a too difficult tri for my first time out and I am looking forward to doing an "on-road" triathlon next year. I can honestly say that this was the hardest, but still most rewarding and enjoyable thing I have ever done. There was actually a lady there who said she has done 11 tris and this one was the hardest, so that gives me some confidence as I move forward.

When I crossed the finish line and heard the people cheering and saw my wife, I felt like I was going to cry. I just kept saying to myself over and over again, "I DID IT!!"

Last updated: 2005-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:09 | 880 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/unk
Overall: 0/156
Performance: Good
Suit: Bathing Suit and Neoprene Vest
Course: Two 1/4 mile laps in lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:30
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:11 | 11 miles | 10.13 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 - 5.5 mile loops in the trail which was fast at times but had some somewhat tough climbs. Overall, this bike portion of the event was so-so, I think I could have done it faster, but I was so tired from the swim (my arms were like jelly) and I was also a bit intimidated after hearing about how taxing the run would be so I think I kind of took it easy.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:11
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:15 | 03 miles | 12m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-28 12:53 PM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: Schiff Scout Off-Road Triathlon

2005-08-28 2:52 PM
in reply to: #235729

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Schiff Scout Off-Road Triathlon

You did it, and you finished.  Congrats!

Yeah, Xterra likes to challenge you.  I want to do one - but I need a mtn bike and just possibly some mtn biking skills.

2005-08-28 4:20 PM

User image

Hollidaysburg, PA
My first tri was a xterra....it was tough. But I was glad I did it. Made the pool/road bike tri seem like a piece of cake.

Mary Ann
2005-08-29 12:21 PM

Regular
Maine
Congratulations! Great job. Next time out you will feel so much better about it all and it will be even more fun!

Susan
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Schiff Scout Off-Road Triathlon Rss Feed