70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 8s
Overall Rank = 2/675
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Home routine:
Added a rice krispy treat to breakfast of cereal and milk, I know I know milk "ohhh bad" but it works for me, so no more emails please lol.
half can of some caffeinated drink, bottle of water. "downloading" routine, shower, last minute bag checks and out the door. Set up tranistion twice-of course my area got crowded with "newbie" who I guess really wanted to be near me. Since the transition area ISNT marked you can set up ANYWHERE you want-better yet-FIRST COME FIRST SPOT taken. Chip issued, body marked.
Event warmup:

Of course the looooong walk to the start line. Finished pedialyte and pre-race supp. This should count as a warm-up its easily a quarter mile. This year they even blocked part of the path so we had to walk the beach further than usual. Swim warm-up was good-quite a few trips across lanier and back-but was a waste (youll see). Did ome pick-ups and breath plays to get comfy. tiny cramp in the right calf-anticipation in my opinion or from the 400+beach walk-whatever. Then we line up for the start in our groups. Then we staaaaaaaaaaaaaaand in waist deep water listening to a BOOK of announcements-most of which we couldnt hear down in the water. So were confused about swimming INSIDE or OUTSIDE the buoys. since its a first/next theyre preaching safety-so to me that says INSIDE the buoys. The lifeguard 20 feet away says INSIDE since we can't hear, then the official walks to he shoreline/start and announces OUTSIDE. some people argue thats not as safe, then its explained if you want to swim INSIDE you can but that you should also be in the FIRST tri start group-ugh whatever. Im now COLD from standing so long in the water. No signing of the National Anthem-boo.
Swim
  • 09m 9s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Again, like Peachtree International, the swim felt long. Since there was "confusion" at the start about inside versus outside I know the frist buoys was deeper than all the others so the course was a triangle if you can visualize with the shore as "C" and we swam "A" and "B". This was actually the most "active" swim Ive had. I started FOP, pretty usual and had alot of body drafting/beatings this time. So I guess I drafted well of the hip and in the feet. Swim felt good. Shoulders didnt really tire and sighting felt good. Did have some chop to the water-apparently the lifeguard boat kept changing positions creating waves. Did have to breath right side every time, tried once left and got BLINDED by the sun. I felt fast even though my time doesnt really reflect it. Im pretty much a 1:30 swimmer, Ive been slacking on the swim but thats where ive been, ah well. Oh and I actually saw a guy in a FULL wetsuit-in the NextERS group???
What would you do differently?:

I guess swim faster. Everything felt good.
Transition 1
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

So here's why the swim looks so slow. Transition from the beach to the T1 area is easily a quarter mile-which is ADDED to your SWIM time. At the end of the run to T1 is a STEEP S hill. At the top is the T1 mat. Since we got choice on T1 area I was close to the swim exit and bike exit. Everything went smooth. Glasses, helmet and bike-gone. Mount dismount line was a little far from mat-maybe 50 feet.

rubber band broke early making left shoe a little "funny" to get going but didnt change anything. Stiffer bands.
Bike
  • 33m 35s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.44 mile/hr
Comments:

So this was the first race with the complete new ride!!! REALITY BIKES Kestrel 4000TT with Sram force and Zipp 808's. and ohhhh boy I love it. Shoes banded in, even though left broke early. Out of the park and moving in a hurry. 3rd out of transition and just putting the bike and me to the test. 3rd by 100 feet by the way. Behind eventual winner Ryan. We played chase to third place finisher Joshua the whole bike course. Ryan and I battled the whole course, and thankfully neither of us drafted-much respect for that. I had one bad shift on the way back in where I shifted too early and got caught in a high spin, then corrected and got back on track-just irritating.

Stiffer bands, dont be in a hurry to spin-that much. Harder chase to get Joshua. He was in sight ALOT, just couldnt get him.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

I dont ride with feet on top, size 13's tend to stick in the concrete running back to transition spot. And those that follow me know I like T times under a minute. Caviat of T spot being close to swim exit and bike exit is that its far from run exit. well far is a relative term. 900 expected competitors, some bikes were lined up along the edges so you picture spaec people were taking up nd sixe of transition area.

more glide/powder in shoes. They didnt stick like Peachtere International but would like a little more ease. I like em tight on the run. thanks yanks.
Run
  • 20m 2s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 01s  min/km
Comments:

Left transition in 2rd (If you know me follow me-I finished 4th in this rae last year-behind brian ((coldfire)) so I'm already reliving last year). 2rd is better than 4th so I NEED to hold on!!! Leaving transition you run the back parking lot before really getting onto the course. I see joshua and Im like ok its on. The run is my bread and butter ompared to my bike and my swim. ALOT of offseason running has been done. So I hit the road and hes a good 1/4 mile ahead. WE run past the road that has a tunnel to the water park and I get passed by Ryan-"great" -"go get him I say" Thinking its early, Ill get my legs and its on later. We 3 wind through the first mile 6:20. Im happy, no real hills, so good. navigate through the bak near the building-campsite building? I dont know the purpose of this building but its in the back, I turn the orner and see joshua HURLING off course. HURLING as in throwing cookies/pretending to be a momma bird/blowing chunks/getting chunky with it-insert your own here. So now Im in second-phew-I also REFUSE to look back. Those that do are dead in the water. Ryan and I run the turn around feet from each other. He speeds the downhills, something Im having trouble with. I "catch him" on the flats and close the gap on hills. Closest he let me get was maybe 5 feet before we hit the last parking lot. Out of the lot (old emerald point/october lake lanier race transisiton lot) he bolts downhill, across the tunnel road and uphill. I make a dent on the tunnel road and start to close on the hill. We get to the top and its a turn turn shicane downhill throught the woods to the 100m sprint finish. since hes been doing the "over the shoulder" look the whole race I know hes saving, I would be. He does one last look at the first turn and GOES. Im within 20 feet and I push hard to finish. CROWD SCREAMING-I finish 5 seconds back. Great race Ryan--I FINISHED 2nd OVERALL!!!!!

Hmmmmm, this was the first race I pushed the bike hard with the intent of NO saving for the run-so it was interesting. Do different.......dont let the gap get created-1st place Ryan was a built in rabbit and I let him go, thinking what-that thats all he had-strategy error. Its a race-vomit at the end if you have to. I pushed hard, dont think I had but a TINY bit more-but 5 seconds? and that 5 seconds is on the theory he was DONE-whih I doubt. So do different-nothing. Great race, run hard finish strong-smiling. I had fun. the 2 seconds into 20 stings but Ill blame the course-that and get back to work.
Post race
Warm down:

walk, stretch, talk, talk , talk. Joshua said he drank too much on the bike. Now the wait for awards. which was ONLY 2 hours this year. watermelon, bananas, warm coke, cold water, cold powerade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

Ok so I do this race because its close. And I had high hopes this year after talking with directors with brian and others last year. I also heard they added some experienced help.
Problem 1: Looooooooooooooooong line to get into the park-we had to pay 10$ to get in. 4 stations letting us in ALL jammed full. We were told we'd get 10$ discount on next years registration. I really dont want to do this rae again with next set of problems. Jim Rainey WHAT!!!???!!!
Problem 2: Free for all in transition set up. If this is to teach first timers how about you act like its a REAL race. laminated cards designating transition cant be that expensive.
Problem 3: no pre-race packets and loooooong speeches at the start isnt the most professional way to do it.
Problem 4: Swim where? lifeguard director confusion doesnt really build confidence.
Problem 5: Awards. Last year we waited forever only to have confusion about order, placement, and giving out. This year there was no podium for FIRST TIMERS or anyone for that matter and WE LINED UP at tables, told volunteers our name and they handed us our medals. This could have been done ALOT earlier, and we were told it was dont THIS way cause so many people left early last year. I'm sorry but how does handing them out 2 hours later show any respect of change anything from lst year-sad. The podium was replaced with a girl and her keyboard-ugh-who sang during all race announcements and kudos being given to those still finishing. I felt bad for anyone with ADD or autism at this event. HORRIBLE.
Problem 6: The shirts were bad last year-I mean a blind sweat shop made them-they just fit WRONG-so we got the same shirt with a newer logo on the back-I guess NO sponsors.
Things done right:
Lifeguard support, Lake Lanier faility usage/race site, POLICE support,Chips for timing, RACESMITH results-by noon on raceday-sunday-by 11am raceday!!!
This event must KILL on revenue-or get robbed by Lake Lanier in site rental.
Come on people volunteer/visit any other race in GA, ask any nextER the differences in other races theyve done!

Last updated: 2011-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:09 | 437 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 5/675
Performance: Good
Suit: REALITY BIKES 2 piece Tri kit
Course: Shoreline lake lanier swim, wave start, wade/treading start. Like I said think triangle Shore is C and you wim A/B. Nervous swimmers can stand if need. Didnt see people walking THIS YEAR.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:31
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:35 | 12 miles | 21.44 mile/hr
Overall: 4/675
"THANK YOU" to the black Hummer! MORON This vehicle decided to go to Lake Lanier race day. They got in front of me and slowed to the point where Im scrfeaming at them to go-since I dont have room to pass. Then at the park entrance they stop to pay and I pass in another lane. HOWEVER I hard from other racers and spectators that the HUMMER on the way in HIT A RIDER and broke their bike. THE RIDER IS OK. MORON
Wind: None
Course: Pretty manageble course. Great for first timers, has a little bit of everything. Lollipop map look. DOWNhill mile from lanier park to marina entrance (HEAVY traffic area) minor uphill, false flat, turn onto newbethany, mild downhill, mild uphill, HARD DOWNHILL, HARD UPHILL- barn at the top (ALOT of WALKERS HERE-get in propler gear first). Waterworks I think Right turn, then 100 yds, right turn onto buford dam. Careful of other riders on these turns to avoiud head ons. Flat out and back. Turn-around is the church parking lot-unless they forget to open the gate-like they did for us. so turnaround was 180 degress in the street. THANKS OFFICERS for yelling that as we approached. since its an out and back just re-read above backwards to see route back into transition.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:02 | 05 kms | 04m 01s  min/km
Overall: 2/675
Course: Jumprope lollipop. From transition you run opposite the bike ourse diretion through the roadways of the park, mix in a few parking lots and following the sidewalk. 2-sided water station, table with cups filled 1 person per table. I missed a cup on the way back in. 2 difficult hills tops and just a winding run with a GREAT lake view most of the time. I love this run for its visual, I dont like it for the winding and hills. mainly thanks to brian (coldfire) and now ryan.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No