HRCA
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 30s
Overall Rank = 16/180
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/19
Pre-race routine:

Worked the night before. Up at 4:35 for a call, which got me off a bit late to get to the race. Ate my Clif Bar and banana on the way to the call :) Arrived at the race at around 6:05 am, picked up my packet, and set up transition.
Event warmup:

Just swung my arms around a bit.
Swim
  • 10m 39s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Assigned to my lane with four other swimmers and we discussed out estimate swim times. I elected to go first and it was a good decision. Swam the first 175 freestyle and built a little lead. Next 25 yards breast stroke to rest my shoulders and second place started to catch me. Continued this method of 75 yards free/25 breast and pulled away. Actually lapped one swimmer twice.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This seems to be the best I can do swimming wise. My actual swim time was 9:52, which is awesome for me considering I swam 75 yards breast stroke!
I also counted my laps this time to avoid last year's snafu.
Transition 1
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

Pretty good but I ran to the wrong rack as I saw a bright yellow bike there that wasn't mine. Cost me a few seconds. Jump on bike sucked, nearly fell over.

No socks this time and it got me out 18 seconds faster than last year. Definitely race with no socks for all sprints!
Bike
  • 39m 33s
  • 12.6 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

First sprint on the tri bike; was debating road vs. tri bike. Took me a bit to feel settled but once I hit the first hill I was comfortable. Really moved past other riders here and maintained great cadence/effort on the hills. Second lap dropped my water bottle and would have liked to have stopped for it but there was no way. Saw Tom shortly after and I thought he said something being high up in my age group/race? Was passed for the first time here and kept up for the rest of the race.

Keep pushing. Bike confidence goes up each year and lots of long rides prior to this race helped. Did finally get over 19 mph and took :35 seconds off last year's time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

Little trouble racking and getting my shoes on but good none the less.

Nothing. :03 faster than last year.
Run
  • 20m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt great off the bike. Started to get a side stitch on my right side around 0.75 miles, which was frustrating considering I drank virtually nothing on the ride. Feet were a little numb from being cold. Stitch subsided at the turnaround and my legs still felt great. Downhill off the turnaround was just what the doctor ordered and got my groove going post cramp. Pushed hard back in and finished strong! 15 seconds faster than last year!

Not sure what's up with the stitch. Last year didn't have one but have had them previously.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Learning my abilities. Still lots of improvement to be made in the bike and I'd love to break 20:00 in the run.

Would be awesome to make an AG podium! This has got to be the only downfall to racing in Colorado..
But all in all, this was a great race and I improved in all five areas from last year. Race time was over 2 minutes faster than last year, though I did swim an extra minute or so.

Event comments:

Love living in Highlands Ranch!

Last updated: 2011-03-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:39 | 500 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/180
Performance: Good
Actual swim time was 9:52.
Suit: Tri kit
Course: Circle swim laps. Four swimmers per lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:33
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:33 | 12.6 miles | 19.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/19
Overall: 0/180
Wind: Little
Course: 6.3 mile loop x2. First three miles is pretty much all uphill and then downhill for the remaining three.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:11 | 03.1 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/19
Overall: 3/180
Mile 1 (6:42); Mile 2 (6:28); Mile 3 (6:30)
Course: Out and back with easy rollers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-05 6:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon

2011-06-05 7:46 PM
in reply to: #3533681

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon
Just imagine if your shoulders didn't get jacked up- just an amazing race, Todd!  20:11 on that 5K is awesome.  Really solid effort and to do it on no sleep is even more impressive.
2011-06-06 6:54 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Great job out there.  And yes, I feel your pain for being in Colorado.  I always think about how well I could place if I did more out of state races.  Especially in your age group.  And just think, the top 2 overall finishers are in the 40-44 AG.

And way to knock out that run.  Very impressive.  Sorry I didn't get to meet you guys.  Would have been nice to know some other racers.
2011-06-06 8:31 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Nice job!  Goodimprovement on the bike for you from last year. Super fast run...you'll get under 20-mins next time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon Rss Feed