Outloud! Productions
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 29s
Overall Rank = 331/390
Age Group = 40-44 Male
Age Group Rank = 51/56
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed about 1am and then tossed for a bit. I had already setup the coffee and drink stuff and had the bikes on the car. Got up, started the coffee and checked the bikes. Ate a bannana and PB Crackers on the way to the race. Rode the bike to transition.
Event warmup:

Lake was open so after my bike was setup I got in the water and started to do a few hundered meters. Didn't do much, mostly wanted to load my garmin in my cap and check the water, it was quite warm.
Swim
  • 14m
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was able to get stay with the pack and was probably close to half way through when I first got in a tight enough place i had to stop and look around. I felt like I could have gone a little stronger, but was still pretty tired getting on the bike so probably did about the right level of effort.
What would you do differently?:

I wish I could have sited the other swimmers a bit better and made better corrections. I've been having problems with goggles fogging after a few hundered yards and this was no exception
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

It took me too long to put on my garmin after I got it out of my swim cap. Getting my shoes on went pretty quick and I felt like I moved pretty good from the water to the bike.

Get a quick release for my garmin 310xt.
Bike
  • 38m 12s
  • 11 miles
  • 17.28 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm not a great bike mechanic, I'm not a great mechanic, I'm not a mechanic.... But i've been doing a lot of my mainenance lately and it cost me. As soon as I started off I noticed some rubbing sound. Within a 1/4 of a mile I felt as if I had my breaks on. I knew I had some issues with my rear break, and sure enoug the .. well I don't know what to call it, but a screw was loose and one of the cleching pieces was moving around freely. I tried to tighten the screw and went on. It was better, but it got worse... so I reached down and opened the breaks up with the lever you use for changing the tire. this largely fixed this problem, but there was still some occassional rubbing/slowing that I moved the break around while riding to fix.

At about the 4th mile I dropped my water bottle putting it back in the cage and then ran over it. I stopped and went back for the bottle rather than leave it on the road.

I was passed by a lot of people, and I only passed those who had passed me (with one exception of a moutain bike that reminded me of my first tri in April). Even though my pace (excluding the stops) was around 18mph I feel like it was pretty slow for the course. I know my bike is still lacking, and I will be adding toys (clipless) to it... but really I need a engine tune up.

Get better at mainenance / have someone qualified check the bike pre race. Practice more and bottle work.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Untill I go clipless T2 will be pretty easy, just grab the racebelt and take off the helmet.
Run
  • 33m 19s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I was able to keep at run pace for the first 2 1/4th miles or so, then I had to drop to a walk. But my run kept slowing down the whole way. At each water stop I got water and threw it in my face, then drank what I could. I had some Honey Stinger Chews and I ate some of those between watter stops to try to keep me moving and make me think something wet was coming. I walked 1/4th to 1/2 the last mile.

I just need more training and build the base.... more bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around and got some water/gatorade then waited for my wife to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. I had to go to Casper Wy for 2 weeks prior to the event and had family trips the weekend before and after the Casper trip. I worked out some there, but the thin air, and a potential groin pull have had me slowing my workouts.

Last updated: 2011-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:00 | 600 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 40/56
Overall: 0/390
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts with new tri top
Course: Course entrance/exit were in different locations, you swam out the length straight, half way back, then turned and went the width of the somewhat T shaped lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 100F / 38C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:12 | 11 miles | 17.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 50/56
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Course was a 1.5 loop. No "Hills" but a few bridges that substitue for little hills. The road was concreete and some of it was a little.. pitted... the type that makes you wonder if something is wrong with you bike because of the vibrations.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:19 | 03 miles | 11m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/56
Performance: Below average
Course: flat course but mostly on sidewalks around the lake / park / neghborhood. Water stop at start and mile 1 and 2.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No