Rancho Seco, California
United States
TBF Racing
Total Time = 1h 50m 15s
Overall Rank = 179/420
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 23/31
Pre-race routine:

Camped on site, so just rolled out of bed and walked down to transition. It was raining. Ate a banana and a peanut butter sandwich.
Event warmup:

Not really. I got in the water about 10 minutes early and swam 100 or so yards.
Swim
  • 17m 5s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good enough swim, about all I can expect seeing as I have not swam a lap in about 2 months... I was nice and straight, good sighting, just wasn't swimming very hard. I was a few minutes faster last year.
What would you do differently?:

train.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

bit of an estimate on the transition, since I messed up my stopwatch a bit here. It's possible that the transition was slower and the bike was faster, I don't know. It was quick and easy, just a fairly long run up the hill from the lake to the transition area.

Wetsuit off, glasses on, helmet on, shoes on (no socks), go! did a running mount leaving T1 and passed a few folks who trying to get clipped in. my actual time in the transition area was probably less than a minute.

nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 22s
  • 16 miles
  • 15.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Time is a bit of a guess, but within a minute of accurate. Decent enough, I'm not in top form at the moment and took it easy. I'm also on a full suspension mountain bike with full knobbies. I did air them up to 50psi though (usually run 25psi with a Stans NoTubes kit).

I mostly rode with my forearms resting on the grips, sort of a poor mans aero position... Nothing noteworthy here, just tried to keep my RPE at a nice easy level so I could run afterwards. I was passed a LOT, only passed a few.

Unfortunately, I forgot my water bottle so I had nothing to drink. Not a big deal I guess since it was cold an rainy, but still...

train. And not forget my bottle.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

flying dismount into transition going right by 2 guys who were stopped and getting off their bikes at the line. Side note, I was actually yelled at by a course worker to stop my bike first before going into transition so I wouldn't 'endanger' everyone around me. WTF?? Isn't this a race? I was certainly not unsafe, I just sidestepped the bike and did a running dismount into transition.

Anyway... I ran through transition and racked the bike. Helmet off, shoes off, shoes on, grab hat (with race belt in it) and GO! I'm getting pretty good at transitions.

nothing.
Run
  • 28m 48s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I've done this course enough to know what to expect, nothing new here. I haven't run in about a month so I wasn't expecting much, I just kept it in about zone 3ish and had fun. I did walk right at the beginning while I pounded a few cups of gatorade/water since I didn't have any on the bike. It was a good run, the rain didn't bother me at all, though it did make the fireroad a little slick in places. No worries, it's better than 110 degrees and dusty!!!

train. Notice a theme here?
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, just get all my crap, get back to the trailer, and get into dry clothes. I was shivering pretty bad after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

uh, lack of training.

Event comments:

Love TBF racing. Rain or shine, they always put on a quality event. Overall I was 12 minutes slower than I did at this same race last June. Pretty evenly spread over all three events I think, I was just in WAY better shape last year than I am right now.

Last updated: 2011-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:05 | 880 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/420
Performance:
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3 sleeveless
Course: Rectangle, two right turns.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:00:22 | 16 miles | 15.90 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: rolling hills, a little windy, wet.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:48 | 03 miles | 09m 36s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: rolling dirt hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-06 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: TRI for FUN Triathlon #1

2011-06-06 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3535231

Subject: RE: TRI for FUN Triathlon #1

Good report.  I am planning on this event on July 9th to be my first Tri so it was nice to read a 1st hand account of the course.  Any recommendations for a first timer?

Thanks

2011-06-07 12:01 AM
in reply to: #3535428

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: TRI for FUN Triathlon #1
outcrnru - 2011-06-06 1:08 PM

Good report.  I am planning on this event on July 9th to be my first Tri so it was nice to read a 1st hand account of the course.  Any recommendations for a first timer?

Thanks

This would be a great first time event.  Nice warm and calm lake swim, smooth rolling hills bike, dirt road run.  Typically the weather is very nice, if not a bit hot, this was quite an exception with rain in June!  My only real suggestion would be to get there right at 6:30 so you can get a good transition spot and have PLENTY of time to get ready.  No need to be rushing around on race morning...

fwiw, based on my extremely informal chatting with people before the race, it seemed like around 1/2 the folks there were doing their first triathlon.  very low key and friendly environment, from the officials, volunteers, and racers alike.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TRI for FUN Triathlon #1 Rss Feed