Tri-PTC
70?F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 32s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 35/54
Pre-race routine:

Peanut butter and Honey Sandwich on the ride down there, banana, cup of coffee from QT. I like to start the day with some java.
Event warmup:

Checked in and set up my transition area. It was new to me: each rack had your specific location designated, and bikes were meant to be pointing in opposite directions. Pretty nice, really. After I made my way to the start of the swim, I chatted with a few girls in my time group to relax the nerves.

About 10 minutes before the whole shebang is supposed to get started, the guy on the PA system announces that the girl who was to sing the National Anthem hadn't showed up yet, and would anyone like to volunteer to sing? After a few seconds of nobody raising their hands, I think to myself "Dammit, I can sing" and pop my hand up to volunteer. I hear him announce on the loudspeaker "Is that a volunteer? With a yellow swimcap? Come on up!"

So, here I am in spandex (and I really shouldn't be wearing spandex in public, but don't all triathletes?) with a bright yellow swim cap on AND goofy looking goggles on my head, with ZERO time to warm-up the voice, in front of at least 700 people getting ready to sing our National Anthem. The mic is handed to me and I say "Well, I'm already standing around in spandex, so I really can't embarass myself any further, so here goes."

Though I am very confident in my singing capabilities, it was more nervewracking being in front of that group singing than it was to be waiting for the swim to start. That said, my voice wavered a little (I like to tell people it was really vibrato!) and I forgot none of the words. I should've sent out a shout to all the other BT.com members that I knew were out there!

All in all, the warmup to the even felt more difficult than the event itself!
Swim
  • 13m 35s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Couldn't get calmed down at the start. It took me at least 200 yards to get calm enough to get into whatever groove I got into. Even then, I wasn't super comfortable swimming this one.
What would you do differently?:

GET INTO THE POOL MORE!
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

I think it's because I put socks on that my T1 times are so horrible. I either need to figure out a way to put socks on my wet feet faster, or do something different.

Learn how to put socks on better?
Bike
  • 38m 59s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 19.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good on the bike. Got passed early on but passed some folks later on. Cornered like a banshee and felt damn good about it! Went with reckless abandon through most of the corners and even got above the speed limit on the road once or twice! I like it when that happens...

Nothin', really. I felt pretty good about the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Allright.

Yankz? That might shave off a few seconds...
Run
  • 27m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

A new PR for me! Last year this exact same weekend was my first race ever. It was a local 5K and my goal was to run the whole thing. I met my goal then of running the whole thing and finished in 35:17. Today, I had shaved roughly 7 minutes off of that time from a year ago. It's amazing what a little training and weight loss can do, huh?

Run faster! Seriously, I think I may have started out too slow. I normally run with a breathing cadence of 4out/3in which helps me keep my pace down on my normal runs. On race days, I really need to bump it up to a faster breathing cadence, which for me translates into a faster pace, of 3out/2in.

All in all, a good run and a new PR!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and ate some damn good grub.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

T1?

Event comments:

Best one I've done yet! Great volunteers and plenty of them, too! Fantastic crowd support - the finishing chute was lined with spectators and it felt great to run through them all while they were cheering me on. I was glad that both my parents were able to make it down, even though my mother was having some problems with her knee that morning. She hadn't been to one of my races yet this year, and didn't recognize me as I ran past her in the run from swim/bike even though I yelled her name as I ran past. She looked startled when she saw me!

It was a blast, and if given the chance, I'd register again in a heart beat AND sing the National Anthem again!

Last updated: 2005-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:35 | 500 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 34/54
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: "L" shaped course - muddy and difficult to see anything, really. The few people that I got on top of (I actually passed someone on the swim?), I didn't even see.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:59 | 12.4 miles | 19.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/54
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills the first few miles, then some longer inclines.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:25 | 03.11 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/54
Performance: Good
Course: Golf cart paths through residential neighboorhoods and around a lake. Some lumpy spots where one could have turned an ankle were one not careful.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-08-28 8:02 PM

User image

Expert
The High Plains
Subject: Tri Peachtree City

2005-08-28 8:35 PM
in reply to: #236010

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: Tri Peachtree City
Great race Steve!

Congratulations on such a wonderful year and a great transformation!
2005-08-28 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Congratulations! The tri was great, but man, the National Anthem story is priceless. Way to go on both accounts.

Diane
2005-08-28 10:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Congrats, dude!! So, you are the singing diva. In fact, you are in my swim group--the unflaterring yellow cap--and standing close to you too (yes, you were indeed chatting with 2 other lovely ladies). I was too nervous to chat to anyone -- just prepping my mental. Good race, there.

Keep it up!
2005-08-29 6:22 AM

User image

Queen BTich

Congrats on the song!! I wouldn't have been able to concentrate on the race after that!

I used Yankz for the first time at this race, and my T2 was so fast! I think 43 seconds. LOVE THEM!

2005-08-29 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Have talent scouts called yet! Great race and a priceless story.

2005-08-29 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Steve, awesome job and a great race, too.  It was really cool to find out that another BT'r saved the day by singing the National Anthem.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Peachtree City Rss Feed