General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Festival - RBM International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Playtri Festival - RBM International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Irving, Texas
United States
PlayTri
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 40m 23s
Overall Rank = 136/221
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/22
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:20, got dressed and ate breakfast around 4:30am. Got race-day to packet pickup ~4:50 (opened at 5). Waited around and KP and I were first to pick up packets. Went to TA that was in the parking lot of the hotel. One of the first ones in TA ~5:05am. Set up TA and sat around mostly until pre-race meeting and swim start around 7am. Had to get a banana around 6:30 as I was already out of breakfast. Should've had more breakfast or planned to eat closer to start time.

Decided not to wear my Garmin as I didn't want to bother with putting it in my race cap and I didn't want to leave it on the bike and have to move it to my wrist before the run.
Event warmup:

Ran out of TA and around the block to get loose. Did some very light stretching.
Swim
  • 25m 37s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim start was chaos, as usual. Took a while to get spread out and not swimming on top of one another. Took a little longer to find my groove as I was trying to stay alive. Sighting was good, although I tried to follow the buoys rather than take the shortest path at times. On the last straight-away, a woman had a bad line and kept running into me and pushing me on her incorrect line. Rather than slow down and go around behind her, I just swam her bad line for a while until I could pass her (without sprinting past). Overall, not too bad of a swim. Actual distance must have been a little short because I didn't feel I was swimming as fast as results show.
What would you do differently?:

Start on the side rather than in the middle of the pack to have a bit less chaos as the start. Wouldn't change much, it was a good swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

T1 rank: 123/221 Overall and 10/22 in my AG. Pretty seamless transition. Got some help getting out of the water up the steep steps. Briefly toweled my legs and face then put on socks and bike shoes. Then helmet, got a quick drink and was off.

Not a lot to do differently. Overall, very pleased.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 23s
  • 24 miles
  • 18.85 mile/hr
Comments:

I missed my first running mount attempt so I tried again and was successful. It always feels good to pass someone out of T1 who stops to mount their bike. Had a little more trouble than typical getting my shoes clipped in. About 1 mile into the bike I dropped my GU Chomps, the only nutrition I had. After about 40 feet of deciding whether I should stop and turn around to get them, I decided against to continue on. Since it was a two loop bike course, I planned to pick them up on the second loop. Pretty good ride. Pushed myself but didn't burn out. Sipped water throughout entire ride. Ran out of water at the end, so just enough to get me through without over-hydrating. After I picked up my chomps on loop 2, I ate about 5 or 6 throughout the next 12 miles.

Get a bento box!! (I stored my chomps on the bike under a rubber band contraption and after I put them in my shirt pocket on the bike, they fell out)
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Rank in T2: 54/221 Overall and 7/22 in my AG. Just a normal T2. Dismount and ran to rack without issues. Put my race belt on (typically put it on in T1, but I was still fairly wet and didn't want to mess with it). I actually paused an extra second to get a quick drink before leaving T2. Forgot to cinch up my laces so I actually did this just outside the TA at the beginning of the run.

Not too much. Maybe try to work on taking feet out of shoes on bike? Overall, pleased with this transition.
Run
  • 55m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out strong and on pace. About half way through I ran out of fuel and was legitimately in need of something. I ate a couple of chomps but I needed something more substantial. I took in water at the aid stations and even poored some on my head to stay cool (unusual for me). I walked about 3/4 of a mile on the last lap (~mile 4.5). I also walked at the aid stations almost every time to get a good drink, not just a running/spill mostly everything drink. My legs weren't tired, my body was just out of fuel. While I was walking I saw at least a couple athlete's pass me that were in my AG. If I wouldn't have walked I could have finished a few places higher. I did sprint in on the last stretch (and passed one guy). It always feels good to finish with all I've got.

I've got to fuel better pre-race. Maybe think about taking more calories on the bike?
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water bottle and powerade and sat in the shade. Ate a popsicle and walked down past the finish line to see KP finish (as always, he's a crowd pleaser). I was spent after this race. Didn't take long to recover with juicy fruit and lots of powerade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of nutrition and fuel.

Event comments:

Overall, a very well-organized event with plenty of volunteers. My biggest complaint: packet pickup on the day before the race ended at 4pm, so I paid $10 extra to have race-day pickup. Not very accommodating for out-of-town racers. Post-race and race goodies were just okay, definitely not the best I've had. This surprised me as I thought an organization as big as Playtri would have been swag and bigger/better post-race festivities.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:37 | 1640 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/22
Overall: 105/221
Performance:
Suit: Tri shirt and shorts
Course: Backwards "L" shaped course in Lake Carolyn by hotel.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:23 | 24 miles | 18.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/22
Overall: 140/221
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Two loop course on open streets. Fairly flat and fast, a few rolling hills. Roads were open except one lane for us the bike in. Plenty of police and volunteers on the bike course to keep things safe. Dry, smooth roads, except for a few places where water from sprinklers had run into the street.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:23 | 06.21 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/22
Overall: 152/221
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loops on a short course (somewhere around 5.8 miles). Fairly flat.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-06-07 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Playtri Festival - RBM International Triathlon

2011-06-07 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3536977

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Playtri Festival - RBM International Triathlon
good job
2011-06-07 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran

Awesome job babe!

-Keri

2011-06-07 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran

Good work, congrats on beating your previous time.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Festival - RBM International Triathlon Rss Feed