General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-08 8:10 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island : Official Thread

Why isn't there any love for this race?  Example: it's 5 weeks out and there isn't even a traing group thread for it?  I did this race in it's inagural year 2008, my very first HIM, and it was very well run and I had a great time.  I did it again in 2009 and it was just as awesome. Providence is a cool little city, it's easily accessible, the bike is picturesque, there was lots of spectators on the run course, the finish at the State Capitol Building was cool, why has this race never sold out??  Or maybe it sold out once in 2009 when they added some Kona slots to get more entries.  Other than that this race doesn't close out and it attracts very little attention. What am I missing?  I know there is the logistics of dropping the bike off the day before, but that wasn't a big deal really.

I see that the course has changed this year. I've been considering sneaking this race in again, right before my 2-week taper for Ironman Lake Placid, and I'm trying to find some information on the new Bike and Run course -- elevation profile and opinions, but there is so little talk about it.  Will the Run include the Monster Hill again?  Is the Bike going to be mostly flat, or rollers?  Does anyone have an actual elevation profile of the Run/Bike?

Can someone clue me in?!  And can we get some race chatter going... only 31 days to go!!!!

Edited by Dream Chaser 2011-06-08 8:14 AM

2011-06-08 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3538496

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island : Official Thread
Dream Chaser - 2011-06-08 9:10 AM

Why isn't there any love for this race?  Example: it's 5 weeks out and there isn't even a traing group thread for it?  I did this race in it's inagural year 2008, my very first HIM, and it was very well run and I had a great time.  I did it again in 2009 and it was just as awesome. Providence is a cool little city, it's easily accessible, the bike is picturesque, there was lots of spectators on the run course, the finish at the State Capitol Building was cool, why has this race never sold out??  Or maybe it sold out once in 2009 when they added some Kona slots to get more entries.  Other than that this race doesn't close out and it attracts very little attention. What am I missing?  I know there is the logistic of dropping the bike off the day before, but that wasn't a big deal really.

I see that the course has changed this year. I've been considering sneaking this race in again before my 2-week taper for Ironman Lake Placid and I'm trying to find information on the new bike and run course -- elevation profile and opinions, but there is so little talk about it. 

Can someone clue me in?!  And can we get some race chatter going... only 31 days to go!!!!

I definitely suggest you go do the bike course. It's by far the worst roads I ever road on. Always trying to avoid pot holes,  bumps, glass and sand throughout the ride. I started a thread on the Massachusetts forum,  People have been complaining about the lake at Linkin Park, people are calling it "Bird Poop Lake" etc. when I looked at it, it didn't seem to be bad. But, I did sign up to receive any alerts if and when they do any testing http://www.ribeaches.org/closures.cfm 

2011-06-08 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3538513

User image

Extreme Veteran

e-coli in the water for example...

Lincon Wood is closed today...

2011-06-13 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3538496

User image

Veteran
CT

I have also been searching for some course info.  I found this discussion which has profile info...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Rhode_Island_70.3_Bike_P3384463

I know there are some negative comments about road and the lake but I am still looking forward to this as it is my first HIM.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island : Official Thread Rss Feed