Macon, Georgia
United States
Georgia MultiSports Productions, LLC.
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got down to Macon on Friday night with my wife and Ace5880 for the mandatory bike checkin and packet pickup. Got everything squared away, met up with Coldfire and wife/son, grabbed some dinner, readied nutrition, and headed to bed.

Event warmup:

Saturday morning - got the the race site about 5:45ish for a 7:00 start. I got body marked, threw on some sun screen and headed to the start.
Swim
  • 46m 57s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was a wave start, with elites going first at 7:00 am and my wave (M 39 & under) at 7:03. Start wasn't too rough, with abuot 50 guys in my wave, so the washing machine effect not bad. Unfortunately, however, my normal goggles had broken in a training swim about a week earlier, and I had grabbed my two backup pairs to bring down to the race. The pair I selected to wear had broken somehow, and I didn't notice it until I was 50 m into the water, and my right eye started filling up with water. After about 500 m, I seriously considered turning around and going back, taking a DNF. I had to stop and empty it approximately every 30 seconds for the remainder of the race, which really crushed my dreams of going sub-40 in the swim. I did struggle a little to stay comfy on the swim but not just completely relaxed. I wanted to put out a good effort but keep things under control from a energy expenditure stand point. That pace was a little tough to find. I think I picked it up towards the end and probably could have swam that pace the entire swim. Swim time 46:57 (watch time 44:59), which included a long run up a pretty big hill to T1.

What would you do differently?:

Not have goggles that leak. $10 investment that really pays off.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

I had purchased a spare tube, which I don't normally carry, for the race, just in case. I didn't want to be stuck 30 miles from civilization with a flat. It was sitting in my right rear bottle holder. I had a bottle of concentrated Infinit (approximately 345 calories) on my downtube, and had a 3-gel plan with Infinit supplement for the bike. Started with 20 oz of water in the aerobottle. My plan was to take a minute in T1, settle myself down after the swim, and get ready for a long 3 hrs on the bike. All that worked fine, grabbed a drink of Gatorade, and headed out. T1 time 2:17. Slower than my normal sprint/oly transitions, but that was the plan.

Nothing
Bike
  • 3h 09m 49s
  • 56.17 miles
  • 17.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off ominously, similar to the swim. After 100 yards, I realized my back tire was caught on something. I originally thought i had a flat, so I stopped and looked down. Of course, the spare tube had fallen off and wrapped itself around my rear derailleur and wheel. So, it took a minute to untangle, fold the tube back up, and stuck down the back of my shorts. Off again for another 100 yards, until I hit a bump and my aerobottle popped out. Stopped to retrieve - disaster averted at the cost of another couple of minutes jerry-rigging it back into place. After that, the bike was pretty uneventful. Slow and steady pace for the first 30 miles or so, felt pretty good. Last 10 miles were rough - the course profile looked like there was a pretty big hill at mile 46-48, and then a big downhill pretty much all the way to the bike finish. I don't know who drew the course profile, but I'm pretty sure that there was no downhill. I kept looking for it, but I think it didn't exist. Nutrition overall went well - took a gel at about mile 5, mile 25, mile 40, with Infinit to supplement. Drank water to thirst, got a new waterbottle at handups at mile 15/30/45. Bike time 3:09:49.

Hammer harder the last 10 miles, bring a couple more gels.
Transition 2
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

Actually I was worried about how my legs would feel coming off the bike, as I'd not gotten any 56 mile bikes/run bricks done before the race. But, shockingly enough, I felt pretty good. Similar to T1, I took a minute to grab some gatorade, reapply sunscreen, etc. So, it's a slower T2 than I'd have at a sprint/oly (I'm usually in the 45 second range), I felt pretty good about it. T2 time 2:58

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 29m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Ginormous blowup. I am not a super-fast runner, but I think I hold my own, and I generally consider running to be the best of the 3 sports for me. My half marathon times generally fall in the 1:52-1:55 range. After leaving T2, I waved to the wifey, and headed out. It was hot. And by hot, I mean super hot. BT race reports from the prior year say that if you're in the shade, you're off the course, and they were right. 97 degrees. No shade. High humidity. It took about a mile before I had my first cramp. After that, it was a sufferfest for the rest of the race. Run/walk combo as much as possible, hitting the aid stations located approximately every mile (which were staffed by super volunteers, by the way) as much as possible for ice/rags/water/gels/endurolytes. I had never taken endurolytes before, but after the first cramps I realized I was enormously salt-deficient, and had to do something to address. 2 Endurolytes at aid station 1/2/4 helped a bit, but there was no getting over the cramps. Run time was a huge disappointment - 2:29:05, for a total time of 6:31:04. Very disappointing considering my overall goal.

Train more in the heat. More bricks off a long bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Coldfire, who finished 27th overall I believe, his wife/son, and my wife. Sat down to cool off, cramped up again, and waited for Ace5880. After Ace finished, we headed down to the lake for a swim, packed up the stuff, and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat

Event comments:

Overall - good race, great volunteers. I'm disappointed with my overall time, as I thought my general fitness level was much more indicative of about 6 hrs. However, I've already resolved myself to go back next year, with a better understanding of the race and an amended nutrition plan, to hammer out a sub-6. But, I finished, and in one piece (which was what my wife cared about).

Last updated: 2011-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:57 | 1931 meters | 02m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: