Competitor Group
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m 56s
Overall Rank = 4738/17152
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 488/989
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00 and left the hotel room just before 4:30. Kids stayed with grandma and grandpa in the hotel room. Got down to the hotel lobby and saw that there were two taxi cabs there. After a group of 4 got into one cab, my wife and I jumped into the next cab, joined by a 3rd person and got dropped off toward the start line. Getting up at 4:00 seemed a bit crazy at first, but I talked to a guy later that day at my hotel that said there was a group of about 30 people at the hotel waiting on cabs well after we left that may not have gotten to the start line on time. Yikes! We had plenty of time at the start line to hit the restroom (short lines at this time) and keep warm.
Event warmup:

I kept warm as long as I could by standing in front of one of the portable light generators. Sadly, I had to step away to get into our corral. We had signed up for the 2:10 pace group as that was my wife and her training parterns' goal for this race.
Run
  • 2h 06m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

We (me, my wife and her two friends) started out behind the 2:10 pacer and stayed there for a while. We soon caught the pacer and then moved ahead of him. I stayed behind the three of them for most of the time and hung out with one of them from time to time. The whole thing seemed to go very fast. We were soon at mile 10 or so and one of my wife's friends was having knee issues. She slowed down a bit and the rest of of moved ahead. I asked my wife at mile 11 if she had anything left to give and she said not at this point. After the final small uphill section over I-5, we headed down Sea World Drive and we picked it up a bit. We didn't throw it into overdrive and my wife's friend finished 1 second ahead of my wife and I finished 1 second behind my wife. Everybody in our party had a great run, set new PRs and had a great time. Makes me want to run the full next year!
What would you do differently?:

Not bring my sunglasses? I never needed them until AFTER the race. They fogged up quite a bit in the shade and we ran with the sun to our backs 99% of the time, so I guess they're not even needed for the half course.
Post race
Event comments:

2484/5614 among all men

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-03-28 12:00 AM
Running
02:06:56 | 13.1 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 488/989
Overall: 4738/17152
Performance: Good
Average HR: 169
Course: Starting near downtown, winding through Balboa Park, down the 163 to Friars road then finishing up in the Sea World parking lot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes