United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 22m 11s
Overall Rank = 160/737
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/40
Pre-race routine:

This was an after work race, so I drove to the site and got ready. Tried to just have a normal day in terms of eating and iced the Achilles a few times. The day was expected to be in the mid-90s, but the front moved through right before the race and the temp dropped to mid 70s.
Event warmup:

With the Achilles issues I've been having, I wanted to get a good warm up in. I jogged a mile then ran another 1.5 at a little higher pace mixing in 5 strides. By the end, the Achilles was feeling pretty good.
Run
  • 22m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I started about 1/3 of the way back in the crowd because I figured that was about where I’d finish in the overall. I guess I have to stop being nice and move further to the front. I spent the first ½ mile picking through slower runners, including running onto the shoulder and off the road. In a strange way, maybe that was a good thing as it kept my pace down for the first mile and allowed me to pace strong for the rest of the race.

After getting some free pavement, I settled in for an even effort on the next 2 miles. After about a mile, I hooked onto the heels of a guy going the same pace and just ran with him. My breathing was much harder than I had experienced during training at the 7:00 pace; I assume due to the humidity. But I felt pretty comfortable to be running at 6:50-7:00 for that stretch.

We were still passing people until the last ½ mile, when everyone just kind of seemed to settle into the final kick and I maintained the pace best I could.

I was actually fading a little at the end as I had nothing left. My final paces from the Garmin showed 7:15 for the last .13. I feel like I gave everything I had physically, though I still need to do some more racing as opposed to running to get mentally stronger the last 5 minutes and push myself beyond.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. Maybe start more up front. This is about the edge of my current run fitness. This was a flat/downhill course, so the time is actually probably faster than I'd run a "typical" 5k around here.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the car and went to get Z. No time to even enjoy the post race food!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, genetics, mental toughness? In the end, this was a great effort for me.

Event comments:

Never having done a 5k, it seems like a lot of activity for a 3 mile race! but it was really well put together, very organized and a nice race. I didn't stay around for the after race stuff, so no clue how that food/post race activities fared.

Last updated: 2011-06-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:11 | 03.1 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/40
Overall: 160/737
Performance: Good
Mile splits: 7:20, 6:53, 6:58
Course: Flat/downhill and fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-06-10 9:30 AM

User image

NH
Subject: Hollis Fast 5k

2011-06-10 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3542447

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Hollis Fast 5k
Awesome! PR for you, slower for others...looks like you've found your groove!
2011-06-10 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3542599

User image

Expert
WA

Great job on the PR!!

Glad to hear your achilles held up!

2011-06-10 10:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

Awesome PR!!!

Can't believe this is your first 5K.  I really like running them as they are short and sweet but still something most people don't do and I like seeing improvement.

That is stinking fast! Congrats.

2011-06-15 9:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Awesome race and great effort!  Congrats on the PR!!  First of many this season!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hollis Fast 5k Rss Feed