Tri Utah
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 46m 1s
Overall Rank = 67/259
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/27
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00 a.m. and ate two packets of Quaker Instant Oatmeal and drank and Ensure. I had packed the night before, so all I had to do was get my nutrition bottles ready for the trip. My plan was to hit the head in a town about ten minutes away from the venue so I could use a flush toilet. This was a brilliant idea. We got on the road and made the drive up the canyon.

We got to the venue and you had to park about three miles away and take a shuttle into the state park where the race was held. I had Karen drop me off about a mile away from the venue and I took my bike and everything I needed to set up. I told her to meet me in the transition area when she got off the shuttle bus.

I got check in and I noticed how stinking cold it was. I bet it was in the low to mid fifties and then it started to rain. I rained up until about thirty minutes before the starting gun. It actually stayed nice throughout the entire race and then it began to really rain again about an hour after I finished.

Put my gear together next to a buddy of mine. If you read my Echo ½ IM race report, you know we had a small wager on the winner of the race. I won that bet by almost an hour and I planned on winning this bet again. He is a much faster runner, but I do have him on the swim and the bike.

The announcer gave the usual pre-race instructions and we grabbed our gear and headed down to the water. I was a little disappointed because there was no national anthem before the race. The RD is usually pretty on top of the details like this one, but I guess he slipped up.

Got to the water and the temp was officially 70 degrees. The air temperature was up to about 60, so the water felt very nice. The sun came out from behind the clouds and we were ready to begin.

My goal for this race was a 2:40, with a secret goal of a 2:30 if everything came together. My times in training would indicate that the 2:30 was possible, but you never know. My PR on an Olympic course was set this year during the only other Olympic I have done. It was a 2:53. That time put me smack dab MOP. I checked last year’s times and a 2”30 would get me into the top 50. I was really excited to progress so much in the course of one year. But, there is a reason we play the games or run the races.
Event warmup:

Short 50 m swim.
Swim
  • 28m 35s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

This swim was typical. The sprint men started in the first wave, the sprint women in the second and then it was us, the Olympic men. I really took it easy on this swim as my times in training have been much quicker. Even the time on my ½ IM was at a faster pace. I am not sure what to say about it being so slow, but it is what it is.

I really did not like the way they organized the waves. Within about five minutes I hit the female sprint breaststrokers and a couple of minutes later I hit the male sprint breaststrokers. I really got knocked around trying to weave my way through those two groups. I never really got run over from the waves behind us.

I never did find a set of feet to hang on to. I was sighting like a pro as the course was a very large triangle and the buoys were about 250 meters apart. That made for a really tough site and I had to depend somewhat on the people around me, hoping they were going in the right direction.

I did the first loop without problems and I came into the boat ramp after finishing my second loop feeling pretty good. I was a little tired, but nothing too bad. I skipped the strippers because they were not very good at their job.
What would you do differently?:

I should have found a pair of feet to draft.
Transition 1
  • 07m 22s
Comments:

This time is deceptive as there is a half mile run after the finish of the swim up to T1 along a dirt road. I ran up the boat ramp, started stripping my wetsuit and got the roughest cramp in my right calf. I never get cramps, so this was really new to me. I took about 10 seconds to stretch it out a little and it seemed to go away. I started putting on my shoes and there it was again. I think my wife got a picture of me in mid-cramp. Finally got my shoes on and run up to T1.

Actual time in T1 was 1:24, which I will take any day.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 7s
  • 25 miles
  • 18.05 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was a modified two loop course. The first seven miles were an out section and then we turned around and followed the same road for about two miles. We turned up on a great .25 mile hill that was about an 8% grade up and then turned onto the main highway and went down all the elevation we had gained on the first section of the course. You went back towards the state park and at the ranger station, turned around and did it again.

Man did this not go according to plan. I really wanted to average about 21 mph on the bike and it obviously did not happen. This was a tough course and it showed across the board in the times of all the Olympic competitors. The times were on average slower than last year on the bike because of the course change.

I started off fairly strong, but soon realized that the wind had kicked up to a head wind on the out portion of the course. Then I realized that with the course changes the first seven miles of the course were uphill. On my training rides I will average anywhere between 19 and 21 mph. On the first section of the course I was averaging about 16 mph. This part was tough on me mentally. I had a goal of 1:10 on the bike, but I did not realize that the course was as tough as it was.

I am not complaining – the course was tough, but manageable. There were some fun parts of the course. At one point on the big downhill, I hit 50 mph. I rode a 12/25 cassette because of the hills I knew were on the course, so I did not have gearing big enough to push above about 36 mph. I hit 50 because the hill was a 10% grade for about .25 miles.

The first loop went fine. I got passed by a ton of people and I passed more. The stragglers from the sprint were on the same course and so while I was getting passed by the hammerheads, I had to be careful to not run over the slower people from the sprint. The second loop was much better because the crowds had thinned a little.

There was one guy that I kept leapfrogging with. At one point I said something to him about it in a very nice way and I believe he thought I was ragging on him. He yelled a couple of words that I don’t really understand and I let him complete his pass. When he finished I passed him and left him in the dust. Nothing like a rude racer to get your adrenaline flowing.

I tried really hard to pass people in the last couple of miles instead of taking it easy at the end of the bike like I usually do. I think this paid off. I have done enough bricks in training to know when I am really tired and I think this race course really tested me, but because of my training I was able to place as high as I did. In my first race of the season, I was in the top 50% on the bike. Today I was much higher than that.

My nutrition on the bike went according to plan. I drank a bottle of Gatorade and Gu2O mixed that provided me with about 400 calories and I drank about half a bottle of water. I took an Enduralyte at the end of the bike. I never really felt as if my nutrition was a problem throughout the entire race.

One amazing story on the bike – a friend of mine was right behind another kid in his AG and the kid in the AG went down hard. He actually required stitches in his stomach and his hand – obviously he hit something on the pavement that cut him up. So my friend goes on and finishes third in his AG and a couple of minutes later, here comes the kid with brand new stitches and takes fourth in his AG. That boy is a fighter.

I came to the dismount line, left my shoes in the clips and ran to the T-zone.

Not sure -- I trained a ton and I think I did the best I could have during the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I am really pleased with my time here. I racked my bike, removed my helmet and sunglasses, changed my shoes, grabbed a gel and some Enduralytes and I was off.

Nothing.
Run
  • 45m 33s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I am so excited about my run time for this race. My PR in a stand alone 10K was a 48 until today. I have run several bricks of a 10K in 48 minutes this summer, so I knew my running was faster than it has ever been before. My goal was a 48, with a 45 being my stretch goal for the run.

The run was a two loop course mostly over trails. There were short, steep up hills and down hills. It was a little tough to get into a rhythm because of the varied terrain, but I think this is where your mental toughness either saved you or killed you. The last mile of the run was over the road that leads into the state park, which was the same place the spectators had to wait for the shuttle to leave the park. This made for some great spectator support on this section.

The first loop I felt fine. I was tired, but I knew I was running well and comfortably. All I can say is bricks, bricks, bricks. Over the last two months I have done at least three bricks per month of varying times and distances. I am so glad I did. I felt like I was passing a ton of people and I was supportive of all the sprint people that were still on the course. There were some people who were really struggling with their race and I was glad to see them overcome their demons.

I started the second loop and noticed I had not stopped at any of the aid stations. My stomach was feeling a little sloshy at that point, so I put two Enduralytes in my mouth and got a quick cup of water at the next aid station. That was the only point I got any water on the run course. I just felt fine. I had set myself up well with good nutrition on the bike.

I turned on the road to the park and I had about a mile to go. I picked a couple of people ahead of me and tried really hard to pass them. I had left a little in the tank and really pushed myself to finish strong and I did. I think that last mile was about a 6:40. It was tough, but again manageable. I crossed the finish line and wanted to fall over.

Not much. This was a great run for me and I will keep it.
Post race
Warm down:

I did beat my friend by more than 10 minutes. His run was five minutes faster than mine, but I put enough time on him during the swim and the bike that I really smoked him. He had a great race as he is training for his A race marathon at the beginning of October.

I saw my wife several times on the course and she did a great job cheering me on. I really meant a lot to me to have her there. She got some great photos of me at real awkward times, so the photos of this race will be choice. It was fun going over the race with her after and talking about some of the people we both saw while we were there.

I thought I would be disappointed in my time when I finished. During the day today I was a little down, trying to figure out why my bike was so slow. But then they posted the chip times online and I saw that I placed well in the swim, bike and run. I started this season a staunch 50th percentile guy and this race I finished in the 30th percentile. My swim time wasn’t great, but it was good enough for 6th out of 27 in my AG. I thought my bike was really slow and it was in the 30th percentile overall. And my run was a PR by almost 2:30. This was a great race for me and I think my placement is reflective of all the training I have been putting in this year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Things I Learned:
1. Nutrition on the bike will set you up for your run. I never struggled on the run when it came to my nutrition because this was a short race and I drank so much on the bike.
2. Bricks really work.
3. If you want to get off the bike feeling fairly fresh, you have to ride lots.
4. All the time in training pays off come race day.

Last updated: 2005-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:35 | 1500 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/27
Overall: 47/259
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Predator
Course: Two loop triangular counterclockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:22
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:23:07 | 25 miles | 18.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/259
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:33 | 06.21 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/27
Overall: 54/259
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-08-29 10:46 AM

User image

Master
South of SLC
Subject: Jordanelle Triathlon

2005-08-29 1:12 PM
in reply to: #236401

User image

T1
Subject: RE: Jordanelle Triathlon
Awesome race. I am glad you enjoyed it! I agree on the swim set up; they really should have the Oly start first, but I think you would have run into the Sprinters on the second loop.
How did you like the bridge? There was a big bottleneck before and after that I luckily avoided and wasn't sure if it was congested for you guys too.
Nice job!
2005-08-29 4:35 PM
in reply to: #236401

User image

Champion
MA

Great Race!!

Awesome that you PRed the run on a challenging course after a hilly bike. You are a fast runner...I'm dreaming of 10 minute/miles. Awesome improvement over the season...quite an improvement from MOP to back of the FOP...all your training has paid off. Your race report is so descriptive that it makes me feel like I was there.

The pictures are beautiful that your wife took...action shots and shows what the location was like.

Super job...keep up the good workouts and just think what next year will bring.

2005-08-29 5:05 PM
in reply to: #236585

User image

Master
South of SLC
Vicotira,

How did you do? I kept looking for you and Dr. Hammer, but I never could pick the two of you out of a crowd. I came over the bridge solo, so I did not experience the bottleneck you are describing. They could avoid that by making the bike and run lanes bigger and the spectator portion smaller.

And Kathy, thanks for the support. I went into my LBS today and one of the guys I have do all the work on my bike tried to talk me into one more race this year, but I am just not interested right now. Mentally I have committed to Vineman IM in August of 2006, so everything is revolving around that right now. I thought about a 10K to try and see how fast I could go, but I am not going to make a huge effort to find a race either.

I am tired, worn down, and ready for a rest once the August Challenge is over.

Mike
2005-08-29 5:16 PM
in reply to: #236878

User image

T1
I posted a race report if you want to check it out. I don't think Dr. Hammer was there. I didn't know what you were wearing or anything, so I never would have recognized you!
I did OK. Learned a lot and could have done better, but really liked the race!

Nice job; you deserve a break!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jordanelle Triathlon Rss Feed