General Discussion Race Reports! » New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series - Race #1 Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series - Race #1 Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Harriman, New York
United States
New York Tri
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 43m 31s
Overall Rank = 93/196
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/25
Pre-race routine:

Super early wakeup at 4:30am after getting to bed at 9:30, then up for 45 minutes at midnight when family showed up. Overall, decent sleep. I had the usual breakfast of bagel, toasted with peanut butter, followed it up an hour before race with a chocolate outrage gu. Overall, this seemed to work pretty well, only a couple of peanut butter burps throughout the bike leg, but I think thats due to ingesting some water on the swim.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 16m 41s
  • 879 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off the swim strong, initially was having some fogging issues, resulting in inability to sight to save my life. I started on the outside, and by the time I was halfway to the turn buoy, I was even more outside. At that point I made a bee-line for the turn buoy after floating for a few seconds to splash some water in the goggles, which helped with the sighting problems. Rounded the buoy moderately close, and had no issues, even with my wide swim, was towards the front of the pack. Was able to sight cleanly going to shore, had no problems whatsoever and was overall pleased with my performance.
What would you do differently?:

Spend some time in the water before the start to get the goggle fogging issues cleared up.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Clean transition, tried the trick with leaving goggles and swim cap in the sleeves of the wetsuit, they ended up falling out. I think that may work great for super skinny women with super tiny openings in their suit, not for me. next time I'll just carry them in my hand and dump them in T1. Wetsuit came off without any issues, see no need for bodyglide. Was able to get garmin quick release strap on without any problems, zip tie to keep the strap in the loop as open as possible worked well. Started garmin pre-maturely, but not a big deal, race will provide detailed splits, was more concerned with getting everything on, and underway. Overall, everything went very smooth, flat kit to rear pocket, race belt on, shoes on, glasses on, run out of transition.

Carry goggles/cap to T1 and just throw on the ground, instead of trying to leave them in the sleeves. Was overcast, and didn't need the glasses at all.
Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 16 miles
  • 16.00 mile/hr
Comments:

My legs were NOT there today. Legs finally warmed up at about mile 13 of 16, and it wasnt until that time that i was able to spin up the hills. Heart rate felt good, but legs felt shot, even with 12/27, I crawled up the hills. This reveals the bike leg to be the one portion of the training that i've been neglecting, and there's no substitute for more time in the saddle.

More bike training, I don't need to do anything different technique wise, just train more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Quick smooth transition, only slight hiccup was when putting running shoes on, sidewall of shoe rolled into the shoes.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 22s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Had difficulty getting up to speed, compounded by poor bike performance. Once I finally got going, didn't have any issues, and could/should have gone faster. Made up a few seconds at the end of the course, laid it all out for full-on sprint. Last 50 yards, hamstrings started to cramp a little bit, I think due to the fact that I didn't take on enough fluids on the bike. Dont like the regular squirt bottle, think I want to try a different system.
Post race
Warm down:

none

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Insufficient bike training is the only thing that did me in. My swim and run were overall solid, and if I had only brought it on the bike, would have been MUCH better. Considering that I was shooting for a 1:40:00 target, a 1:43 is not bad, especially considering it was my first tri ever.

Event comments:

Very smooth race. Course was very well marked, and plenty of signs and volunteers to make certain that you did not go off course. Post race, usual bagels, bananas, oranges, plus muscle milk and zico. Finally tried the choco zico, which I thought tasted like yoohoo, I'll stick to pineapple. Also tried muscle milk, good creamy taste, but slight after-taste.

Last updated: 2011-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:41 | 879 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/25
Overall: 0/196
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Suit
Course: Out and back clockwise swim.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:00:00 | 16 miles | 16.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/25
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Tough course that killed me on the bike. 1400' of climbing over 16 miles.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:22 | 03 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/25
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling out and back course. Marketed as 3 miles, not certain if the distance is true, as there is no way that I ran an 8:07 mile---esp not with average HR 155 BPM.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-12 7:44 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series - Race #1 Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series - Race #1 Triathlon Rss Feed