General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Cancer & Open Heart Surgery Survivor Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-14 11:16 AM

Subject: Cancer & Open Heart Surgery Survivor

I just wanted to introduce myself.

I am a 39 year old recently divorced single mom in the suburbs of Washington DC.

When my husband left me, I made a beeline for the gym (he always made it difficult or impossible to go). With the support of my Super Amazing Trainer (my present to myself) I have lost close to 70 pounds and completed a 5k last year and just recently did a shorter one mile race with a time that even amazed myself.

I just returned from a trip to Oahu yesterday where I saw an advertisement for the North Shore Triathlon and suddenly decided I WANT TO DO IT.

So, here I am. I told my trainer last night (he is delighted).

A little about me: was diagnosed with and survived Hodgkins Lymphoma in college. Had open heart surgery almost two years ago due to a complication (scarred arteries) from the cancer radiation.  I still have a significant amount of weight to loose (close to 100 pounds). I used to be pretty fit and active but that faded over the years I was married.

I am inspired to do this not just because I love being active again but because I have an amazing six year old daughter who loves to go to the gym with me (she does speed training and workouts on the weekend) and is also a gymnast. She loves to run so much that she has also completed a 1k (with a 5 min 13 second time) and the one mile with me (seven minutes!). And we are doing a 5k together this fall. She and I have our together time in the evenings and run/walk together so this fitness is also a good way for us to do things together and for me to encourage fitness as a way of life for BOTH of us.

I think that's all for now. I look forward to getting to know everyone and learning.

2011-06-15 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3548418

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Cancer & Open Heart Surgery Survivor
Welcome to BT and triathlon! Wow, what an awesome journey, for you and your daughter, and congrats on the weight loss!
2011-06-15 3:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
That is an amazing accomplishment!  Go get that tri and let us know how the training and race prep is going!
2011-06-15 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3550940

Thank you! My biggest incentive to get healthy is to be a good role model for my daughter and to be able to be active WITH her not as a spectator.
2011-06-15 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3551061

Thanks!  So far I have bought some swim goggles and found a guy at work to help me learn how put a new tire tube on my old bike so I didn't have to call my ex to ask how. 

2011-06-15 3:19 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Welcome. I used to live the greater DC area (NVA) for about 12 years. There are a few people in my Mentor group in Arlington and in MD. (Swmbkrun MG). Feel free to stop by and ask questions, I am sure they will be willing to help out.

2011-06-15 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3551106

Your mentor group? On BT? Where do I find them?
2011-06-15 3:32 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Go to the forum tab, second from the right at the top of the page. Then the forums will appear. Click on the "2011 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program" and then scroll down until you see "SWBKRUN fast, furious and closed" That is us! Tony and Sam are from Arlington and Terps is from MD.
2011-06-15 4:35 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WOW you have certainly had an amazing journey!  Congratulations on all you have overcome and welcome to BT
2011-06-15 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove

Welcome to BT, and good luck with everything.  There are a ton of people here that will help you with anything that you need.  If you have a question, just ask....

Again, good luck...

2011-06-15 8:01 PM

User image

Gloucester County

Wow! Welcome.

I am new to BT myself but have found everyone to be so helpful and nice. The information on here from everyone is invaluable.

I applaud you for understanding the importance of teaching your daughter about fitness through example. The reason I train as hard as I do is to "show" my three children how important and rewarding exercise can be.

Good luck on achieving your goals and your journey is inspiring!

2011-06-15 9:37 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Welcome to BT!  Lots of good, supportive folks here.

I've also been through open-heart surgery; I got a mechanical aortic valve about ten years ago.

Congrats on your weight-loss and good luck with your training. 

Remember, it's the journey, not the destination that is most important.

Mark

2011-06-15 10:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
KC7 - 2011-06-14 12:16 PM

I am a 39 year old recently divorced single mom in the suburbs of Washington DC.

When my husband left me, I made a beeline for the gym (he always made it difficult or impossible to go). With the support of my Super Amazing Trainer (my present to myself) I have lost close to 70 pounds and completed a 5k last year and just recently did a shorter one mile race with a time that even amazed myself.

I just returned from a trip to Oahu yesterday where I saw an advertisement for the North Shore Triathlon and suddenly decided I WANT TO DO IT.

A little about me: was diagnosed with and survived Hodgkins Lymphoma in college. Had open heart surgery almost two years ago due to a complication (scarred arteries) from the cancer radiation.  I still have a significant amount of weight to loose (close to 100 pounds). I used to be pretty fit and active but that faded over the years I was married.

I am inspired to do this not just because I love being active again but because I have an amazing six year old daughter who loves to go to the gym with me (she does speed training and workouts on the weekend) and is also a gymnast. She loves to run so much that she has also completed a 1k (with a 5 min 13 second time) and the one mile with me (seven minutes!). And we are doing a 5k together this fall. She and I have our together time in the evenings and run/walk together so this fitness is also a good way for us to do things together and for me to encourage fitness as a way of life for BOTH of us.

I think that's all for now. I look forward to getting to know everyone and learning.

Welcome! What a story.... I can relate to you on a few levels, divorced single mom (tho not any more), weight loss, etc... not sure where in suburban DC you are, but I've been training & racing with Team Fight with the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults, and it's been incredible - we're a very wide mix of ages & backgrounds, some survivors (some who started in Ulman's Cancerto5K program), but all of us touched by cancer in some way. Besides the good coaching, it's an incredibly fun & supportive family, too.

There are also several kids' triathlons in Maryland, if your daughter's interested.

Feel free to message me if you'd like to know more, too....

Marla

2011-06-18 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Hammond
KC7 - 2011-06-14 11:16 AM

I just wanted to say Hi and welcome. I was surprised when I read your intro because I have a very similar story. My Hodgekins was at age 16, and I haven't had to have the open heart surgery yet. I see a cardiologist regularly though because of the scarring and heart damage I have from the radiation treatments. So I'm a little behind you on that schedule- ;-). Cardiologist says surgery will be in my future- just a matter of when. I have also survived two other cancers so ahead of you in that game-lol. It's a game I'd rather not play though. Thankfully all my cancers were caught very early and I am in remission for all of them and minus the heart issues am in very good health. Sounds like you are too. Congrats on the weight loss. It's an awesome feeling to take back control of your life. I lost 50 pounds a couple of years ago and like you wanted to share an active healthy lifestyle with my children. My dd just did her first tri, a few weeks after my first and now my dh and another dd are going ot do their first. It's a great family lifestyle. -----------------------------Anyway, just wanted to say welcome and that reading your post made me feel a little less alone with all my crazy issues. So thanks for sharing.----------------------------------------------shelly
2011-06-18 9:39 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
welcome to BT.  You've found a great community of people to help you.  Also, thanks for sharing your story, it is inspiring and I wish you the best.
2011-06-18 3:31 PM

What an inspiration!  I had not read your post yet and just posted myself for the first time on "Introduce Yourself".  Thank you for sharing your story. 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Cancer & Open Heart Surgery Survivor Rss Feed