Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Nuclear Tech Job Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-14 1:10 PM

User image

Elite
Toledo, Ohio
Subject: Nuclear Tech Job

I was given a job tip the other day and was hoping to get some input from BTers.  It's for a Physical Science Tech (aka Health Physicist, Radiological Control Tech, Rad Con...).  I live in a Navy town so there appears to be a demand.  I'm told there is a training program that can last up to 10 months but I would be paid during the training.  It starts at about the same as I'm being paid now but with much more potential. 

Any chance this job market will faulter in the coming years?  Anyone out there have any experience with this job?  Description?  Pay?  Future?  Where else could I end up besides Navy?

2011-06-14 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3548725

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Subject: RE: Nuclear Tech Job
I can kind of answer this question.

This market is obviously affected by technology, and there will always be new technologies that replace old ones. For example, MRI is replacing CT scans in many respects. Fortunately, it takes 15+ years to phase out such an imaging modality. So regarding this, there is peril in not having breadth in your experience. I would make sure the navy does not intend to confine you to certain repetitive duties day in and day out.

Now your description was a little unclear. Will you be performing the technologist's job in that you administer the radio contrast agent and image the patient? Or are you to be kind of like a lab adminstrator in controlling the radioactive materials? Personally, I don't mind the actual job of the hands-on technologist. All the MR techs I know are very friendly, the atmosphere is quiet, and there is a lot of thought that goes into an MR scan. The adminstrative side is not all bad either, especially if you are looking to advance in the field of radiological technology.

Now I am not in the best position to say this, but there might be some good opportunities outside the Navy in the health care industry, especially for those who are able to co-ordinate with suppliers, schedule, oversee service engineering etc.

As for pay, I know that MR Technologists receive decent pay - almost or even more than engineers. Having said that, MR T's in Canada must go through something like 4 years of university to become one, so they better get paid well. I know the training in the US is much less stringent (something like 10 months).

I hope this helps.

Edited by So Fresh So Clean 2011-06-14 1:45 PM
2011-06-14 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA

I've been in the field for nearly 30 years, and have been involved with submarines, commercial nuclear power generation, weapons, environmental remediation, and regulatory.  I just can't seem to keep a job! 

While the events in Japan have certainly cast a shadow on the future of commercial nuclear power, I think there will be plenty of opportunities for health physics technicians for a long time.  Most commercial nuclear plants in this country have had their licences extended for another 20 years.  So, you will see the existing plants in this country to continue to operate for the next 30 years, possibly even longer.  Even when they eventually shut down and decommission, the need for health physics tech will still be there while they clean up the site.

There a lots of opportunites in the medical field.  Imaging is one area.  The safe control, oversight and administration of nuclear pharmaceuticals is another.  Industry requires nuclear physics techs as well.  They manage the control of sources, or might be involved in food or medical equipment irradiation.  Industrial radiography is another potential field.

There are lots of opportunities available outside of the Navy and I certainly think there's a future for someone so inclined.  Generally, pay and benefits for Rad Techs are very good to excellent.  However, being a Navy vet, I think it certainly is good experience and worthwhile to serve your country.  You could potentially be a civilian working at one of the Navy facilities as well if you're not the type to go to sea on a submarine or a carrier. 

2011-06-14 4:04 PM

User image

Elite

If you are talking about radiation control technician for nuclear powered ships in Navy shipyards during shore maintenance, those jobs are going to be around for a while.  There is similar work at nuclear powered electrical generating plants.  It is a good job.  You do surveys, wipes, etc for monitoring contamination.  Depending on level of qualification, you could also do radiation work permits which specify the protection and monitoring requirements for the job.  There are lots of federal regulation for compliance on theses.  I don't know anything about pay scales or the training requirements that go with them.

TW

2011-06-15 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Nuclear isnt going anywhere anytime soon. I dont know how the outlook is for power plants, or working for a private company that keeps the health care side of things up to snuff with government regulations. I do know that the local Nuc plant had a force out  recently, although Im not sure whether that was engineers or techs or both. As far as working as a  rad/nuc/ct/pet tech in a hospital..it would require different cross training and more school...and honestly not worth going through the schooling at this point in time...there are very limited job openings in most modalities...Ive been in the field for 28yrs and its my experiance that this is usually cyclical..

2011-06-15 12:43 PM

User image

Dad was a Health Physicist for about 40 years with NIST (used to be NBS)

Fed Gov has quite a few slots in NIST and in the NRC for such people. All power plants have some positions dealing with it. Teaching at a University is a possibility. Teaching the military people Radiation Physics and health and environmental issues is another.

As to pay, Dad turned down GS 16 (SES now) regularly and retired a GS 15. That's not money to sneeze at.

2011-06-16 6:38 AM

User image

Merritt Island

I know that we post jobs all the time for Physical Science positions on USAJOBS.gov  

Mike

2011-06-18 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jakarta Selatan, Unknown

I could relate to some of the questions here.

If you saw what the trends are after the earthquake in Japan, then you noticed that a lot of countries are taking drastic measurements toward nuclear safety. Some of them are trying to stop completely the use of nuclear energy.

Nonetheless, nuclear is one of the most efficient methods in providing electricity comparatively.

There are two things would follows; there would be a common agreement among countries to banned the use of nuclear reactor-of which less likely to succeed, or there would be a surge in needs of experts to improve the system.

I think nuclear professionals are niche, competition is not as demanding as in the other fields. Nonetheless, you need a solid understanding of the basic subject, acquire enough time in the field, and build network between similar profession.

Probably you would play it safe with the government employment, while gradually specialized your skill before you fly solo.

I hope this helps.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Nuclear Tech Job Rss Feed