General Discussion Race Reports! » Trinona Battle for the Bluff - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Trinona Battle for the Bluff - International Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winona, Minnesota
United States
Trinona, LLC
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 28m 10s
Overall Rank = 58/73
Age Group = 35-39F
Age Group Rank = 12/14
Pre-race routine:

Got up. Ate breakfast. Had coffee. Woke up hubby for my ride. Met my brother in the hallway. Went to the race.
Event warmup:

Transition closed at 7 and my wave was at 8:24. That was a drag. I warmed up by wiggling into my wetsuit. That's always a bit of a workout. Then I took a short but frigid plunge into Lake Winona. Brrrr. 68 degrees. Not very tropical.
Swim
  • 30m 51s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swimming in the weeds is a little weird but actually bothered me less than seaweed in the ocean. The swim was fun. There is a good crowd when you come out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

I think I'm ready to go out with the pack. To avoid ows panic I have been hanging back at the start about 5 seconds but I think I'm ready to just go with the group.
Transition 1
  • 04m 32s
Comments:

I helped another racer get out of her suit. I know it wasn't speedy but I would have wanted somebody to help me. This transition area was nutty anyway.

I dunno. This transition was laid out strangely so I had a long run in and out which was a bummer but no biggie.
Bike
  • 1h 49m 27s
  • 40 kms
  • 21.93 km/hr
Comments:

This is my weakest link. Because we have no hills where I live training for this was the best I could do so I was happy to make it up the steep hills. But I am very slow on the bike. Also, I'm chicken little going down hills. There's a lot of room for personal improvement here.

Go faster :-) Not bump into a curb. Not be such a chicken on the downhill.
Transition 2
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

I saw my kiddos going into transition. That was great.

Maybe not chat with my hubby while changing my shoes. Then again - life is short and hubbies are more important than transition times for slow pokes like myself.
Run
  • 1h 00m 56s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 05s  min/km
Comments:

Nice run. There should be a mat at the half way turn around because otherwise cheating is possible ... I didn't cheat but I think I saw somebody else cheat. Just saying (to the man with the gray shirt who I didn't pass after the turn around ... where did you go?).

I think I can push myself more on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran in with my daughter. Got a glass of water and that's about it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm still learning how to pace myself with the three events. This was my longest race yet so I had no idea how hard to push and I might have been able to go a little faster looking back. However, I intentionally did not turn my watch on so that I didn't stress about it so I'm happy with my time.

Event comments:

The course is great. The race is really good. It will probably be great in the future. The race director could do a better job of communication before the event with the participants. Also, in my opinion all international distance racers should start before the sprint division but that's just my opinion.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:51 | 1500 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/73
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless wet suit
Course: Clockwise around 2 buoys in Lake Winona. Weedy, cold, Lake Winona. There was no current or waves so it's a good swim. Sighting was a bit of a challenge because I like to look for land markers and here that is only trees. Luckily I was at the end of the waves so I was following other swimmers and with no chop I could actually see the big yellow buoys.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:49:27 | 40 kms | 21.93 km/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly by my standards. Of course Garvin Heights road is just a nutty ascent. I got so flummoxed on the climb that I bumped into the curb where I learned that clipping in is practically impossible going uphill. There was a ton of volunteer support which was great. This is a very pretty course probably the prettiest I've ever done and I live in paradise. The speedy descent is thrilling to say the least. The end is a little funky where you go on a multi-use path and then a bumpy residential road.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:00:56 | 10 kms | 06m 05s  min/km
Performance:
Course: Smooth course around the lake and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-14 1:47 PM

User image

Subject: Trinona Battle for the Bluff - International Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Trinona Battle for the Bluff - International Course Rss Feed