United States
54F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 26s
Overall Rank = 101/537
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/69
Pre-race routine:

Drove up from home which meant we had to leave at 4:00 am.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Just stood around in my wetsuit and tried to stay warm.
Swim
  • 05m 14s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

So this is a bit of a funky swim. Two laps around a big island in a sort of small pond/pool. At the 3/4 mark in the swim, it gets so shallow, you have no choice but to get up and run.

So in I go, and within the first 30-40 meters, I pass the 3 people in front of me. Some minor directional issues but corrected that quickly. Rounded the far end, beach headed into the shallow end, got up and ran and dove in for the second lap.

This time, I stayed nice and tight inside. Passed more folks, though this time it was those that were behind me in starting and therefore a bit slower. Again, kept going around the far end and really was trying to push the pace since it was such a short swim. I was flying. I actually think that because it was around this big island, we were starting to create a current because for me to swim THIS fast, I normally would be winded.
What would you do differently?:

Try to push it just a bit harder?
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

So this is a bit of a bigger transition, but was kind of hoping to get a sub 2:00 in it. Granted, it was my first time putting on the tear drop helmet, so I'm ok. That and my suit actually got caught on the timing chip so that cost a bit too.

Stay focused.
Bike
  • 41m 58s
  • 14.7 miles
  • 21.02 mile/hr
Comments:

First, it was still cold, so I had put on arm warmers in transition and over the course of the first 2-3 miles, I rolled them up. I'm glad I did. It was cold. By the 5th mile, my feet were numb from the cold.

I had done a crit a few weeks previous. And I think it really paid off in this race. It reminded me how fast I can go and how much discomfort I can put up with. I was really hoping to break the 21mph pace on this race and I did. Dead on.

Every time I would look down and the pace was under 21mph, I would push that much harder. And it worked. I honestly don't know if I've pushed that hard on the bike leg in a while. And it paid off. 71st OA and 14th in AG. I'll take it. I honestly think I may have been able to push just a little bit harder. But more importantly, I think I could hold that pace for another 10 miles which I'll have to do in 2 weeks at Pleasant Prairie. Which is even more important.

Came into transition and I hear "how you doing Crowny?" from the wife. Big thumbs up and a smile to let her know the race was going fantastic.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Helmet off, socks on, shoes on and off I went. I'm happy.

Figure a way to get the socks on juuuust a bit faster. :)
Run
  • 33m 36s
  • 4.1 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

So this was the run that was really going to be the test for the PP Oly in 2 weeks. First and foremost, my feet didn't thaw out till about mile 2.5. But that is ok because it was going to warm up and I knew it would. Second, as I was coming out of transition, there was Beth, smiling saying "get ready for your picture". I smiled, gave a thumbs up and said "Love you, see you at the finish line".

In the past year, I've tried to change my run form. More upright. Leaning forward slightly. Bit more mid and forefoot strike. And it worked. This is the fastest I have run this far in a long time. Very long time. And considering how far I am behind in my training in general, I'm thrilled.

Mile splits were 8:20, 8:28, 8:22 and 8:05. I couldn't believe it myself when I saw them after the race. I felt good. I know I could hold that pace for another 2 miles. Which, again, is a good test for PP.

Across the line and I'm done. With a smile.

Push the pace just a bit more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with Beth. Got some water for the water bottle they gave us at the finish line. Got some pizza, a banana, a cookie, and a bagel for Beth and then had a beer. Talked to a guy from down here cause he saw my South Chicago Wheelmen jersey on.

After a bit, decided to go back to transition, collect our stuff and took off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injuries much earlier in the season. I'm still behind, but catching up quickly.

Event comments:

I would have given the race a higher number than a 3 except for one small but VERY important issue. When we got to the transition area, Beth had to go to the bathroom, but there is absolutely no facilities for spectators. None. There were 4 portajohns and the facilities at the swim site, but they were all inside transition and the closest facility was at the finish line, about a 1/2 mile away. That's a problem. So Beth had to wait for almost 2 hours to finally get relief.

Other than that, a very well run race. Great after race location and sponsors. All in all a well run race. Funky swim, but good race.

No idea if I'll do next year or not. Depends on the schedule. But a great one for beginners.

Last updated: 2011-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:14 | 400 meters | 01m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/69
Overall: 36/537
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good