Set Up Events
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 AM. Ate PB&J sandwich and water. Packed truck and got family ready. Thinking about open water swim. A little nervous.
Event warmup:

Ran for 10 minutes. Biked for 10 minutes and swam for 10 minutes. Felt good and was no longer nervous about OWS.
Swim
  • 43m 59s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

My first OWS and I screwed it up big time. I started at the back of the wave but found myself in a group of people and getting kicked and hit during swim. I moved to the left of the group and then the problems started. I went off course and had to swim back to green bouy. This caused me a lot of time and energy. I said I wasn't going to quit and pushed myself to keep going.
What would you do differently?:

I would take more sights during the swim to stay on course. I got to comfortable swimming and didn't focus on direction. This cost me big time. Good experience and at least I know I can swim a long distance in OWS. I must have added at least 400 yards to my swim distance. Stupid but you live and learn.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Not bad but recovering from my mistake in the swim and trying to focus. I put Garmin watch on which took a few seconds.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 24s
  • 24 miles
  • 20.17 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed myself a little too hard on the bike trying to make up time I lost on the swim. I hated being behind my wave group. I made sure to give encouragement to all the racers I passed. I am proud of my bike time based on the long swim and using a $200 bike off of Craigs list. Passed a lot of nice bikes on the race.
My back started hurting around mile 20 and this was a first for me. Never had back pains from riding before.

I may have drink too much gatoraide on the ride. Stomach felt sick after the ride. I should have paced myself better. I did not leave much for the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

No socks and my right toes were numb after taking off bike shoes.
Run
  • 52m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt like lead weights, my back hurt, and I felt like throwing up. HTFU and off I went. Started out slower than normal runs but letting my legs recover. I hated leaving the shade at mile one on to HWY 702. I wanted to run faster but my body was not allowing it. I keep looking at Garmin and disapointed with pace but just told myself to finish race.
Loved seeing my wife and daughter at finish line cheering me on. My daughter ran up the hill with me.

Need to train more for the longer races. I had some injuries and had to back off on miles so that didn't help.
Post race
Warm down:

The sprinkler tent was heaven. Drink water and walked around to cool down. Went down hill to talk with wife about race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Screwing up the swim. Need to get more biking in my training schedule but hard with family.

Event comments:

I liked the race and my family enjoyed being at the lake during the race. The volunteers were great and good food after the race. I will do this race again and will do a lot better on my time.

Last updated: 2011-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:59 | 1640 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 158/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri suit
Course:
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average