CATS
72F / 22C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 53m 32s
Overall Rank = 45/109
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 11/16
Pre-race routine:

Drove the bike and run courses the day before to refamiliarize myself w/ them. Always a good idea! Found out they weren't using the timimg chip instead, volunteers with stop watches and clipboards. I wasn't happy as I really wanted the splits figuring I'd do much better this year than last, particulary on the transitions.
Up before the alarm at 5:30. Cup of joe even tho my stomach wasn't feeling so well already. Bowl of Kashi. saved the banana for the ride. sipped some water. w/ stomach settled cliff bar 30 mins b4 start, in the pouring rain.
Event warmup:

walked the 1/4 mile down from T1 to scope out the water and find a place to lay the wash bucket and extra sneakers to wear up to T1. Jogged up. My real warm up came from dodging raindrops while debating wearing my shorty wetsuit. Raised some self doubt earlier in the week about the effectivenes of wearing a waterskiing wetsuit. Went for a warm up swim and saw I didn't need it for water temperature so ultimately decided not to use it. Love the pre-race swim, always calms me down.
Swim
  • 33h 48m
  • 1880 yards
  • 1h 47m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Though the time doesn't show it this was my best swim by far. I could've gone all day at this pace. All 100+ people at once. some standing in waste deep water, others on the shore. I was right about the middle. I was a little concerned when they announced it was a counter-clockwise swim cuz I only breathe to the right. Nontheless, the start went great as I found my rythym right away and cruised to the first bouy. Around the turn I drafted a women. Thought I could pass her but she was sighting so well I figured why waste the effort. Stayed on her heel the whole way. Around the last bouy i did finally pass her (hey thanks!). Felt great coming out. With the absence of timing chips I asked someone the time and they said 34 minutes. I was expecting better and thought maybe I should've worn that wetsuit afterall. Turns out most people complained that the course. Top swimmer was at 23.35 and my wife said he was screaming at the race director. He would know better than me. I was happy cuz I could have kept going but also felt great coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

get a real wetsuit, elminate the doubt and just use the damn thing!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Well, I'll never know my exact time (note to self, buy a cheap watch!). This, I do know: I ran the entire 1/4 mile up to T1 (Last year I couldn't and it's where I realized I was sick). That was after I saw my wife and two kids on the way out of the water (always the best sight after EVERY stage).
My 9 year old ran w/ me to "help" wash my feet and send me on my way. That was great. Last year it took me 8 minutes, this year it did not!

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 24m 18s
  • 23.8 miles
  • 16.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I was determined to do much better this year. Unfortunatly the rain was gonna make that difficult. It was raining hard when I started and thoughts of my July crash crept into my head. I took it easy on all the turns and pushed it pretty hard on the flats. I think I was only passed by one guy on this section. Actually tried to stay with him for a while and all I got was water in the face from his tire. Decided I was too close, than he was gone. The second half really is almost all uphill so the now driving rain wasn't much of a factor. EXCEPT for about a minute when it just friggen poured. That was the moment I said wtf am I doing out here and at the same time thought I am not doing the run in this rain. Well, it slowed a bit and I pushed those thoughts to the back of my mind.
The last climb was a lot easier on my new bike. With all the rain I was relieved to get off the bike. I only picked up 2 minutes from last year but I attribute that to the rain. I knew all the work had paid off as i felt strong gettiong off.

uh, not have terrential downpours. Drink more. I think I was focused on surviving the rain and negleted by consumption. I only drank 2/3 of my wateer and 3/4 of my gatrade/water mix. I would pay later.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again saw the family. This time I realized they were as wet as me. Man, they're great. Suddenly I didn't feel so bad.

As I sat on my crate putting on my already wet sneakers, I asked some spectators what the time was and they said 1:58. Cool I thought, 10 minute miles and I break 3 hours! I knew I could that!

nothing, got out fast no problem. Riding w/ my feet out doesn't appeal to me at this time.
Run
  • 55m 26s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

After last year's debacle I was determined not to walk a step this year. The rain didn't feel as bad at the start. I stuck to my plan and started slow over the grass then a 1/2 mile or so downhill. When that ended, I found my pace and settled in. Then the big hill came. I was prepared from my little recon the day before. I put my head down, chugged away and passed two people. I was getting thirsty though. Passed the 3 mile marker and still no water. I was really starting to get pissed at the organizers. Probably wasting energy i felt myself slow down. Finally at the 4 mile marker, an abandoned water sation! I stopped to pour myself a cup as about four people passed me. Nothing I could do, I needed to drink. Then the woman I passed on the big hill, passed me back. I tried to stay with her and just couldn't but I was determined to jog and not walk at all. For the second time the rain got to me. My shoes felt like bricks, me legs were tightening, I was trenched and I was still thirsty. This sucks I thought. But I was still running. I knew the last hill was coming. As I made the crest I had a burst of energy. It would be a sprint to the finish! And there they were, dripping wet and screaming for me, my smiling family. Just under 9 minute miles, I know I can do better, but still the clock showed 2:53. I broke 3 hours and bettered last year by over 20 minutes!!

drink more, a little out of my control here. Maybe a fuel belt?
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing, I really wasn't happy w/ the way the event was run and I really wanted a hot shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The rain, just the rain. All the damn rain.

Event comments:

It's a shame really because the venue is so nice but the organizers did a terrible job here. No notice about the timing chip or the change in swim direction. Very few volunteers, though the weather may have been a factor. No water on the run. No swag at all, just an ugly cotten t-shirt. I certainly won't drive 2 hours for this event in the future. This was redemption for last year. Next year, Timberman! I did learn a lot tho. My nutrition was great for a change. My conditioning and pacing were right on and I know things will happen that I can't control (Did I mention the rain?). I just have to deal, push on and know that at the end of the next stage they'll be waiting for me. I am now confident I know what it will take to do a 1/2 IM and look forward to doing one in 2006.

Last updated: 2005-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
33:48:00 | 1880 yards | 1h 47m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/109
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: Tri angle, counter clockwise
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:24:18 | 23.8 miles | 16.94 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: This course is basically 12 miles down, 12 miles up
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:26 | 06.2 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Over a field than into a neighborhood. First 4 miles are hilly than mostly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-08-30 8:40 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: The Greater Hartford Triathlon

2005-08-30 10:05 AM
in reply to: #237282

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: The Greater Hartford Triathlon
Mark,

Nice job dealing with the rain and lack of organization to still better your time by 20:00+! That is AWESOME!

You have to get a good wetsuit, and learn to breathe on both sides--both made a huge difference for me.

Keep up the good work!

Rob
2005-08-30 12:27 PM
in reply to: #237338

User image

Master
Mark

Great race in the face of adversity. Riding and running in the pouring rain sucks, but at least you weren't over heating. Congrats!

What's next?

Bill
2005-08-30 12:29 PM

Champion
Good race despite the conditions Mark! Shows how tough you are when you can battle all those doubts in your mind and just keep pushing towards the finish. See you next Spring at a race!

2005-08-30 3:34 PM

Expert
Great job Mark in nasty conditions. A friend of mine was doing the race because it fit in her schedule but she was dreading it a bit because I guess this race director has a history of stuff like this...oh well.

Mark
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Greater Hartford Triathlon Rss Feed