General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Concussions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-17 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Concussions
Just got finished reading a report from another local racer who received a concussion during a crash. I also joined the " I dont remember anything , where am I? "club two weeks ago after a crash. Who else has suffered a brain trauma and what was it like trying to get back into the triathlon swing of things?

2011-06-17 9:55 PM
in reply to: #3555149

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: Concussions

Got into a bad bike wreck in July of last year.  Blacked out, etc. Then I tried to race the next day....very bad idea.

In case you haven't been told yet, please please please take it easy for a while.  Any follow on trauma will be exponentially worse and the risk just isn't worth it.  Take at least 2 weeks completely off from exercise.  You might even want to take some time away from work if you're having headaches or if the light bothers you. 

2011-06-17 11:17 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

I have had 5.

Three were minor and 2 were major. I raced XC bikes in high school and had the 'I'm indestructible' attitude so I took some bad risks that ended badly several times. I also got clipped by a car for one of the major ones. I don't remember the hours surrounding the two major ones. When the car clipped me I came to in the ER. I am not sure exactly what happened on my MTB, I remember waking up bloody in the late evening on a remote trail, with a tacoed wheel, a cracked frame and the world was spinning, I know I left the house at about 4 and comp said I had ridden for an hour. On both of those, I had migraines for several days afterwards and took several weeks off riding, also my doctor checked on me every few days.  

The minor ones were really hard falls that resulted in a cracked helmet and I felt like my bell had been rung, I had balance issues and very bad headaches for several days afterward. 

I am pretty careful now with my head. I don't ride mountain bikes anymore, I stick to common cycling roads and I always always wear a good helmet that I am not afraid to pitch.  

You may have to take it slow to get your balance back and definitely talk to your doc if the headaches last more than a few days.

2011-06-18 3:59 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
I'm probably in the 5+ category as well...don't remember exactly.  Worst one was skiing (I wear a helmet now and don't really ski anymore).  That one I woke up in the ski hospital (was probably out for 30s).  It took me a full month to start getting my short term memory back.  I've had one since then.  Crashed my bike and shattered my helmet.  That one was much easier to deal with.  I was back to normal long before I got the cast off of my arm.  Take it easy, don't rush.  Think about how long it takes for a bruise to go away and then consider that this time the bruise is on your brain.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Concussions Rss Feed