96th Force Support, Eglin AFB
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 55m 27s
Overall Rank = 18/266
Age Group = 34-39
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Didn't really have much of a routine since this is my first ever tri. Got up at 4:30am (Race started at 6:45am!) and started getting suited up. Put the bike on the car. Had a bagle with peanut butter and a large mug of coffee. My wife and daughter were going to come too so part of my routine was getting some of their gear together too. We didn't actually leave the house til closer to 5:30am
Event warmup:

Not too much of a warm-up for me. I didn't have much time to get there to set up my transition area before the TA closed. I did get a chance to swim in the water a bit. It was nice a warm and very calm. I did see some fish jump but then I saw something swim after the fish. Nice.
Swim
  • 04m 6s
  • 200 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not sure why the race organizers time the events the way they do. We staged in waves but in doing that we had the pass through the timing pads and waited about a minute before we started. Overall I thought my swim was "ok". One nice thing about this race is that it's like two triathlons in one. They race all the "veterans" in their own waves by sex and age group. Then they send all the "first timers" out. I was in the last wave of male first timers. The 35 and over division. At the same time my start strategy was based upon swimming in a mixed group of vets and rookies, so I hung back and to the outside on the start. All that did is put me behind a bunch of swimmers I couldn't get around. The nice thing is that I could just sit and draft and didn't really have to worry about sighting. I did have to stop a couple of times because I came up on the guys in front of me too quickly. I actually didn't have time to think about the normal open water anxieties because I was more concerned about the feet in front of me. I actually forgot to to breathe! Okay, maybe not entirely but it wasn't till I rounded the traffic jam at the buoy and found open water that I really found my rythym. Though the time says I swam the 200m in 4:06 I really think I did it in 3:06 because of the weird start.
What would you do differently?:

Next time I'd start at the front and stay at the front. The only problem is that I'd be swimming in the veteran division next time. Probably with stronger swimmers. So maybe in the front and to the outside again.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Still kind of perplexed that they don't give our transition splits. I think they just combined T1 into my overall bike time. I was easily maintaining 22-23mph on the bike and hitting 30+mph on the rolling descents. T1 could have gone better though. Found my bike pretty easily, put on my helmet... Oh wait! I wanted to put on my shirt! struggled with the shirt two times before I threw it on the ground. Shirtless it is! Helmet on again! Wipe feet, socks on, shoes on, sunglasses, grab bike and go! Still partial to SPD shoes. Was actually able to run through the TA with them on and did a flying mount! I'd never actually practiced a flying mount but I was "in the zone." I just found myself on the bike and off I went! I think the SPDs are a good trade-off since 1) I could run in TA with them and 2) I was able to do a flying mount and start peddling immediately without trying to get my feet in the shoes and strapped in while on the bike.

Get used to swimming in tri-shirt or bib. No more struggling with shirts!
Bike
  • 24m 46s
  • 8 miles
  • 19.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm pretty sure that time above is off and probably factors in my T1. I didn't get passed but I was constantly passing people. Bike is still my strongest leg. Caught up to people 2-3 waves ahead of me. Cornering felt great! Was able to maintain speed in the corners. Stayed in aero position except for one hill where I got on the horns and out of the saddle. As I typed earlier, everytime I looked to monitor my speed my computer was registering ~23mph consistently. My bike split was 2nd overall! Amongst the rookies that is...

Can't think of anything really. Was really pleased overall.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I have yankz on my trainers but not on my race shoes, which I got about 3 weeks ago. Hadn't gotten around to trying Yankz on these new-fangled "tongueless" shoes. So had to do the good ol' double knot. Decent dismount from the bike. Seemed pretty seamless to me. Ran to TA again. Helmut off fine. Bike shoes on fine. Took a little time to put on shoes and knee brace. My visor gave me the most trouble though but ran out of transition putting it on.

Try the "yankz" on the race shoes.
Run
  • 26m 35s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I probably took off too easy. It take me too long to get my run legs under me after the bike. I did a number of bricks and it always seems the same, right around the 3/4 mile mark my legs start to loosen up. Still, it didn't fix the fact that I'm still slow on the run. I think I did better than the indicate 10+min/mile though. Again, transition was counted as part of my run time so I'm claiming a 9something mile for the run! I guess I didn't realize it at the time but the guy that came in first in my AG/div was only 23seconds ahead of me! Next time! Grr...

Run more. Run lots.
Post race
Warm down:

No real warm down. Walked around, drank a lot of water and sports drink. Found my wife and daughter.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1) My weight. If they had a clyde division I'd still be a part of that at 213lbs this am.

2) Not enough run fitness.

3) Swim traffic.

4) Being a rookie.

Event comments:

Great race for a first timer! Just the right distance that is not intimidating. Great support and good afterparty. It's nice that it's family oriented and that family is welcome to partake in the post race festivities. I would definitely do this race again!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:06 | 200 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 36/266
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-Shorts
Course: The course itself was much shorter than I expected. Triangle course. Start at one of the beach, swim around the buoy, and finish at the other end of the beach. Water was shallow for a good portion of the course. Probably only about the last 35m or so is where it dropped off and you couldn't touch the bottom
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:24:46 | 08 miles | 19.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 2/266
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: A couple of quick turns and then out onto Eglin Parkway which is nice a smooth. A couple of rolling "hills" but not much to speak about once you get up to speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:35 | 02.5 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 67/266
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly through neighborhoods on base. An "out and back" course. Water stations at the .5mile mark 1mile mark and at the turn around. They were really good about the water.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-18 3:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: My First Tri

2011-06-21 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3555737

Veteran
Indiana
Subject: RE: My First Tri

Wow, congratulations. Hardware even!

I hear you about the weight. I am about 5lbs heavier than you, at 6'1". Losing another 10-15 would be that much less weight to carry through the thing. I'm working on it...

2011-06-22 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3555737

User image

Coastal Carolina
Subject: RE: My First Tri
Congratulations Triathlete, well done on the bike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » My First Tri Rss Feed