General Discussion Race Reports! » Silicon Valley International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Silicon Valley International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Jose, California
United States
USA Productions LLC.
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 47m 41s
Overall Rank = 266/669
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 34/47
Pre-race routine:

This was my first Olympic distance triathlon. I woke up at about 4:15AM and ate a light breakfast. I didn't drink any caffeine -- won't do that again. Arrived at the race site at 5:30AM. Probably could have picked a better spot to rack my bike -- too much backtracking during bike-run transition.
Event warmup:

Stretched, jogged, walk around a bit, swam a bit.
Swim
  • 40m 46s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

What can I say? My swim was a disaster -- very disappointing. I sputtered right from the start and never found my stroke or rhythm. At least I finished...
What would you do differently?:

There were so many things I did wrong... so many things. This was only my second OWS surrounded by other swimmers. For some dumb reason, I thought I could handle it, and I started out on the middle right side of my wave. I was dunked repeatedly, drank a ton of water, and was exhausted after about 150 yards. I kept thinking I would eventually settle down and find my stroke, but I never did. Every time I relaxed, and I either veered off course, or collided with somebody. Next time, I'm starting from the back and side and swimming my own race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

My shoes were already clipped in the pedals and I did a running mount. Worked out good -- no mishaps, no blood.

Need to run a little faster after exiting water.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 22s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall, I was happy with my ride. I pressed it to make up some time after my poor swim. I held my aero position for the entire course, except for the hill in the middle.

In hindsight, I might have gone a little too hard on the bike -- my legs were zonked for the run. Also, I changed my bike fit position several times during the week leading up to the race, and I think my legs weren't quite accustomed to the new position.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Considering the fact that T2 could have been a disaster, it went relatively good. As I was putting on my running shoes, my right quad tightened up and started to cramp. I immediately stepped back, then hopped up and down for a few seconds. Fortunately, the cramp went away. I sacrificed about 20 seconds in the process, but it was worth it.

Next time, I'll make it a point to stand up on my pedals and stretch as I approach the end of the ride. I pushed the bike ride hard, and should have realized my legs would react during the transition.
Run
  • 52m 2s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were sore right away. Not my best performance. I just gutted out the run. The heat got to me a bit near the end. I'm just glad I was reasonably fit, or I could have been in trouble.

During my brick workouts, I need to push harder on my bike. My legs were not accustomed to the level of fatigue I felt during the run. Also, I regretted changing my bike position repeatedly during the week before the race. It affected my run more than I thought it would. Live and learn. But it could have been worse.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched some.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I thought I was a better swimmer than I actually am. I still have a lot of work to do in the water! Actually, I need to work on everything. But a decent swim would have left me feeling a lot better about the race.

Event comments:

Everything is great about this triathlon -- except for the lake. It's too small and the water tastes bad. But I'm a terrible swimmer, so I'm probably just whining...

The race organization, bike and run courses were superb. Just wait 'till next year -- I'll be ready for the swim.

You can read a complete commentary of my race at:

http://stevendellago.blogspot.com/2011/06/special-of-day-duck-poop-...

Last updated: 2011-05-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:46 | 1640 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 44/47
Overall: 0/669
Performance: Bad
Suit: Orca Sonar
Course: Two laps, exit onto sandy beach, short run after first lap. Water didn't taste good -- unfortunately, I drank a lot of it.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:22 | 24.85 miles | 20.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/47
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: First 8 miles were in a flat, urban area. All the intersections were blocked off to traffic and patrolled by SJ Police -- nice! Next six miles were flat in countryside. Moderately steep hill for about a mile at about mile 15 or 16. Next five miles were rolling hills past a reservoir, then back into urban area. Very fast, well-marked course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:02 | 06.21 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/47
Performance: Below average
Course: The entire race was on a set of trails around and behind the lake. Most parts were paved, some weren't. Several sets of rolling hills. Nice scenery.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-18 9:21 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Subject: Silicon Valley International Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silicon Valley International Triathlon Rss Feed