Start 2 Finish Event Management
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

Before I start the meat of this report, I want to describe my experience of this race last year (since I haven't completed a report on any of my races like a good BT'er should). This race last year was my 3rd tri ever, and I wanted to keep progressing. I had done Heatwave two weeks before, so I wanted to go faster on every event. I would succeed on this for the swim and the bike, but ended up ultimately giving into the heat of the day and bonking on the run. I ended up finishing the run at a near 12 min/mile pace finishing at 2:06, and was so crushed from my performance mentally that I nearly gave up the sport. A year later from then, I came back much stronger than last year, and was ready to get revenge on that run.

Now, back to the race...

I got up in the morning about 4:30 to make sure I had everything loaded up to head to Sardis. I really don't eat much in the morning of races or really long workouts. Most of my nutrition before and during racing is fluid. That's something I'll probably need to change for IM racing, but I'm a while away from that. For now, Nuun and a gel ~15 min before the race will do.
Event warmup:

I planned on running approx. a mile and a half, biking about 3 miles, and then swimming to the first turn marker and back, but I got to the race site a little later than I wanted, so I had to skip the bike part of my warmup.
Swim
  • 14m 56s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Something that stuck with me since training for HIM New Orleans was the benefits of swimming more. Still I was surprised to see how quickly I got out of the water compared to my past performances. I guess things are starting to click.
What would you do differently?:

I need to learn how to draft better. Wanting to be away from people in the swim is taking away one of the few opportunities I get to take advantage of other people's performance.
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

I had a good spot in transition right next to the bike exit. I felt that this minimized one of the disadvantages of putting on bike shoes in transition (that is running through transition in shoes). I do need to learn how to flying mount though, as this would give me a few free seconds on my competition.

With that said, I did have the fastest T1 of my age group, but I'm more inclined to say that was because of my awesome spot in transition than my prowess of putting stuff on fast.

Learn how to flying mount.
Bike
  • 52m 2s
  • 18 miles
  • 20.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Very windy heading out. I knew that meant that I would have an awesome tailwind on the way back, but I had to get there first. First half I was spinning until about mile 6 where we finally turned away from the wind. Near the turnaround is a hill that I remembered took the life out of my legs last year. Apparently with more time in the saddle, I've gotten a little better at hills, so I get through it just fine. Ride the tailwind back to pull my average back closer to 21MPH. Frankly, I feel like I could have done better than that, but I've become a believer in the saying "there's no such thing as a good bike followed by a bad run". This run in particular, I wanted to finish strong.

Learn how to push more when facing a tailwind. Need to learn how to just tuck and keep grinding a big gear.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

I feel like I have T2 dialed in about as good as I can get it. The only flaw in my T2 this time around was going out the bike out for some reason, which thanks to my position only cost me a couple of seconds.

Make sure I know where bike AND run out is.
Run
  • 32m 59s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I kept telling myself that between my surprisingly good swim, decent bike, and decent transitions, if I don't give up on the run, I'll have a successful day. First mile was easy, as it's pretty much on the flattest road that I'll run on all year. Mile two has you entering the woods however, but I had ran this race last year, so I knew what I was getting into this time.

There's a hill in the trail that I've seen many, many people start walking on. It does feel like it goes on forever. While I was on the trail, all I could do was mentally prepare myself for the part. The hill itself isn't that bad, but for that part of the race with the heat it can be demoralizing. When I reach the hill, I just pick up my cadence and stairstep my way up it. Shortly after, I make it out the woods to finish my last mile on the nice, paved road to the finish.

I feel that I'm capable of approx 30 sec/mile faster on the run, but it wouldn't have moved me up a slot. Furthermore, this run was about facing demons. This run almost made me quit this year, and I needed to show that I am here to stay.
Post race
Warm down:

Did my usual suck wind and drink a nasty perform as I headed to the overhead sprinklers they had setup (great idea, by the way). I looked at the times that were up and eventually saw that I was in third place in my age group. I couldn't believe that the race that almost made me quit was going to be my first triathlon to podium in.

I then got some chicken fajitas that were being served while I waited for the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A little bit of mental, and I need to start training to run HARD off the bike. I do bricks after my long bikes, but they're usually at more of a slower pace. If I eventually want to start winning my AG, I need to be willing to go hard the whole race.

Event comments:

Beating my time last year by 25 minutes and placing for the first time in my triathlon career. Not sure if I'll have a day that successful for a while.

Last updated: 2011-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:56 | 880 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:52:02 | 18 miles | 20.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 101
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:59 | 04 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Performance: Good
Course: Two miles on road and two mile of trail in the woods nearby. Pretty tough for a four mile run. This is the part that killed me last year.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-19 10:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: Dragonfly Triathlon

2011-06-20 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3557117

User image

Veteran
Mississippi
Subject: RE: Dragonfly Triathlon
Nice work Matt! It was nice meeting you at the starting line.
2011-06-20 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
Nice job out there and a HUGE improvement!!
2011-06-20 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3557776

User image

Austin, Texas
Great race and congrats on the finish!
2011-06-20 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Thanks guys, and it was cool seeing you out there, Brian.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dragonfly Triathlon Rss Feed