General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Solely training OWS - any negatives??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-06-21 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3559352

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Solely training OWS - any negatives???
I do all my swimming through the winter in the pool and all my summer swimming in a small lake. I swim about three days a week.

In the OW, I have four or five measured lengths that I use. Most of my workouts are sets of 400 yards. I mix into that 100's or 200's using a pier that is about 100 yards out. I also have longer routes as long as 1.5 miles.

I do not see any disadvantages by not being in the pool through the summer. All my practice is using a wetsuit and I am very, very comfortable come race time. I find that in addition to sighting and swimming straight, I develope a better sense of pacing over greater distances. In the pool pacing is easier because you can look at your watch every 25 or 50 yards and know exactly how you are moving along.

2011-06-21 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan

Last year I did more of my swimming in the OW once the weather got warm enough.  This year I do more in the pool at Lifetime fitness simply for convenience as it became too much of a pain last year to either get to the pool I used (it's hours were erratic and oftentimes only 1 lane would be open, the rest would be filled with kids taking swimming lessons).  Getting to the OW enough became a pain too.  The lake closest to my house unless I went at 10AM on the weekend would be filled with beachgoers getting in my way in what was supposed to be a roped off swimming area.  If you went slightly outside the ropes the lifeguards would jump all over you.

I believe it's possible to train just fine solely in OW but as others have said it still needs to be a structured workout with a plan (intervals and whatnot) vs just showing up, hammering out the yardage in one big shot, then going home.  At least in OW the laps will still be longer than 25M mostly likely.

2011-06-21 11:49 AM

User image

New user
NE Kentucky

A LOT TO THINK ABOUT! Thanks so much everyone. For my first "try", I think it'll be OW. Basically grew up in a lake so I'm really comfortable. I'll take the safety issue seriously and develop a way to measure distances as well as possible. THANKS SO MUCH!

2011-06-21 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
crazyprof40 - 2011-06-21 7:47 AM

Based on the reading I've done, it seems that training OWS is important, bordering on crucial. Would it be a problem doing all swim training OWS?  (it's free...)

One issue: How in the world would one measure distance??? 

All my swims are OWS. It's my only option.

I measured the beach from 2 points one morning and use them as a guide for timing. I thought about locating a few bouy's and making a course but I havn't done that yet. 

I can see advantages to a pool. One is it sure would be nice to jump into a nice warm pool at 5am in the morning. Also jelly fish are starting to become a nuisance but other than that it's fine. Current is a factor on some-days and can slow or speed you up. I also swim when it's rough out and that helps on race day if it's only for mental toughness.

One big advantage is I love swimming in the rain. I'm wet already so it gives me something do on those raining days when I can't bike and don't want to run.

2011-06-21 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3559973

Extreme Veteran
saldana_joel - 2011-06-21 11:16 AM
H20 Killer - 2011-06-21 10:58 AM
lifejustice - 2011-06-21 10:31 AM

OWS is to Pool as Running outdoors is to a Treadmill.

Untrue.  Running on a treadmill is much much easier than running on pavement.  Swimming in a pool is no easier than outdoors.

Tell that to my swim times.

Why are you comparing times?  There's no point in doing that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Solely training OWS - any negatives??? Rss Feed  

of 2