Meadville Family YMCA
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 147/198
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/16
Pre-race routine:

We left in what we thought was plenty of time, but we weren't early enough to park in the close lot and ended up walking through the mud pit portion of the run course to transition.after that everything went smoothly. I'm glad I did packet pickup yesterday. I had some water and a chocolate chip clif bar about 45 minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

Maybe a hundred yards swim and some easy stretching.I wish I had biked a little bit and stretched more.
Swim
  • 08m 52s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goggles were foggy before I even started. Nevertheless, the first hundred was good. I started out right in the thick of it. Nobody, including myself, stopped to apologize for running into each other this year.I felt good for the first 2/3 of three swim. Rounding the last buoy heading into shore, my goggles were so foggy I couldn't see anything and drifted a little off course. I had to stop swimming to then out to avoid running into the kayaks.
What would you do differently?:

I need to relax, remember my form, and most importantly figure out a way to keep my goggles clear.
Transition 1
  • 03m 58s
Comments:

It was about a 300 yard run, uphill to transition. I nearly couldn't get my shirt on. Suit came off well, socks went on well.

I need to learn to have my pedals clipped in and to run without socks. But today, there was a wet squishy trail at the beginning of the run that soaked my feet, so I wish I had put on my toe socks. It was a mud pit on the way back; I nearly lost a shoe.
Bike
  • 44m 17s
  • 11.3 miles
  • 15.31 mile/hr
Comments:

It was probably a bad idea to go on a really long ride three days before the race. That ride took longer than expected to recover from. As soon as I jumped on the bike, my quads didn't want to work properly. And there was an immediate long climb to start the bike course. It took quite a while to get my heartrate down. I was barely holding on for the first, hilly part of the course. I passed a bunch of people on the middle, downhill part. And I felt much better for the last part. I spit a lot on the course. I never spit on the bike. I do blow my nose on the bike, but I didn't today because I didn't want to accidently spray anyone behind me. The ride, while fun, was disappointing. I had hoped to do 6-8 minutes better.

Don't ride six times further than the race distance three days before the race. Even if it is a C race. I've got to convince myself that hill repeats will be fun if I ever try them. I need more hilly training rides.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Jumping off moving bike? Some people are crazy. the volunteers were telling us to stop well before the dismount line. I didn't take my feet out of my shoes soon enough, and then there were turns at the end, so I wore my bike shoes into transition. Still pretty good though. I passed one guy on the way in running with my bike. I lost a toggle from my race belt on the way out.

Get my feet on top of my shoes while on the bike. Run out faster.
Run
  • 37m 36s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew the run was going to hurt. It did. Running is my weakness.My legs were already shot, and there's a big hill very early on. I haven't run up hills in training. I walked two of the four aid stations, although I probably didn't need it. As bad as it was, I still pr'd the 5k.

I really need more consistent run training.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking, stretching, and eating cookies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My legs hated me coming out of the water, even though I didn't kick much. I think it was a combination of worn out legs from a really long ride three days ago and a lack of a good warmup.

Event comments:

Overall, even though I didn't quite make the time I was hoping for, I did improve my time on this course from last year by 42 minutes. So I shouldn't complain too much.

Last updated: 2011-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:52 | 440 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 76/198
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Volt
Course: Single loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:44:17 | 11.3 miles | 15.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/16
Overall: 136/198
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Single loop course with lots of hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:37:36 | 03.1 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/16
Overall: 180/198
Performance: Below average
Course: Single loop with a mix of parking lots, roads, and trails. A couple long hills. Mile one was marked; two and three weren't.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-26 2:22 PM

User image

Regular
Western PA
Subject: The Dam Tri - Sprint Course

2011-06-26 4:11 PM
in reply to: #3567855

Subject: RE: The Dam Tri - Sprint Course
I volunteered at the Dam Tri today.  I thought the "mud pit" was unacceptable.  People were losing their shoes on the way back through.  I guess better losing it on the way back then on the way out, but I feel it became a safety issue as the race progressed.  There should have been a plan to cover that area. 

Good job on the race.   
2011-06-27 5:26 AM
in reply to: #3567855

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: The Dam Tri - Sprint Course

A 42 minute improvement?! Awesome!!

There are tons of videos about how to do transitions with your bike shoes clipped in. It's not too difficult - just takes a little practice. Don't be afraid to give it a shot in a practice. Once you get the hang of it, start doing it on your regular rides. It'll be natural by your next race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Dam Tri - Sprint Course Rss Feed