Streamline Events, LLC
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 55s
Overall Rank = 463/791
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 90/128
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 5:30. Double checked equipment bag, breakfast of bagel w/ peanut butter & jelly, some coffee, and some water. Rode my bike to transition, about 2 miles away, which was real convenient. Checked in, got marked up, set up transition, and just hung out chatting with folks.

Event warmup:

a bit of time in the water
Swim
  • 11m 27s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Before we started, our wave was able to get in the water to get a bit warmed up while the prior wave swam away. Made final adjustments, took a few deep breaths, and went back to the starting line. Positioned myself right in the middle of the pack toward the inside. Was feeling good about this swim. Had done several OWS practices the prior couple weeks, and confidence was high.

Horn goes, and we're off! Wade in about waist high, and just as I'm going to take my FIRST stroke -- BOING!!! -- WTH?!?! -- my goggles fall off my face, broken. I stand up, fish them out of the water, and after an initial thought of 'oh, crap, I may not be able to do this swim', I find the strap connector thing is still there, so I get everything straightened out. This takes about 2 minutes. I am standing not 50 feet from shore, with many in my wave approaching the first bouy already. Get the goggles back on, and finally start swimming.

As I get toward the first bouy, I realize I'm startting to pass folks. I round it, and keep on trucking. Passing even more folks. Think to myself "That swim training thing actually works" :). put my head down and just plow on, and find myself at the mid point marker before I know it. Only problem is the goggles are taking on water. I stop and tread water for a second while I gingerly make another adjustment, not wanting them to break. Seems OK, and off I go. Pass more people, all the while repeating my swim mantra for the day "easy is smooth, and smooth is fast".

As I near the 3rd bouy, the goggles decide they've had enought, and the strap breaks yet again. I bid them farewell, and plow on without them. I had contacts in so I was a bit paranoid about losing them, so I just closed my eyes and swam. sighing was rough, but I made it out of the water without any damage. Overall, I was happy with my stroke as I felt smooth, streamlined and fast when I was actually able to swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not have my goggles break a few times and cost me 3+ minutes of time trying to fix them. Time should have been under 8 min.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Felt a bit slow here.

practice transitions more
Bike
  • 37m 29s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike felt awesome. First race with my new Cervelo P2, and it was totally night & day compared to racing last year on my Trek 7200 hybrid. I went out and just rode at a hard, but comfortable pace. Never had to get out of the saddle for hills. Managed my gearing well, and took advantage of the downhills to get some free speed. Passed LOTS of folks and felt great the whole time. I love my bike. :) Happy with the time, but know it can be better.

Nothing, except maybe push a bit harder
Transition 2
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Took me too long to get my socks & shoes on. I need some race laces. Tying my shoes was a time killer.

Get some Yankz,
Run
  • 32m 16s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

My running this spring has been sporatic at best due to a foot injury. I took nearly 3 months off to let it heal (mid Feb-mid May). I've run occasionally to get back into it, but nothing I'd consider coordinated/consistent training. SO, with that, the god awful time I submitted on this race is about what I expected. Took me about a mile to get rid of the 'bikes' legs. Stride was slow. shoes came untied 2 times in first 1/2 mile which didn't help, either.

I walked a bit up one of the hills, but after that, I ran the entire course. I really need to work on run fitness, which I knew going in. This just let me know how much. This run was about 7 minutes off my 5k PR.

More of a run focus going forward, ensure rehab is complete, and get back in the game

Not get injured and miss 3 months of running?
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water, then some other liquids. Some bananas, bagel, etc. walked around, talked to folks.

Then the best part was waiting for my oldest daughter to finish the run leg of the race for her relay team. Best part of the day bar none was seeing her come down the finish chute, and giving her a big hug when she crossed the line. I was (AM!) one proud daddy!! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Broken goggles, bad run fitness.

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed with my time. I KNOW I have a 1:15 or better on this course in me and ready to show - just need to work on my run, and not have equipment break.

Event comments:

I like this race. Its my local annual tri and always seems to be well orgainized, and a fun time.

Last updated: 2010-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:27 | 440 yards | 02m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/128
Overall: 0/791
Performance: Good
Suit: Aquawave full suit
Course: a long 1/4 mile (most thought it was more) course shaped like home plate - a rectangle with a mid point bouy a bit further out.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:29 | 12 miles | 19.21 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Some hills, but nothing too crazy. Beautiful last few miles right by the ocean.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:16 | 03.2 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: single loop with a few hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-27 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: Cohasset Triathlon

2011-06-27 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3568643

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Subject: RE: Cohasset Triathlon

Such a beautiful day for a tri yesterday!  Sorry that your goggles did not cooperate!  ;P  Congrats on your finish!!

Glad to see your bike leg improved since upgrading from your hybrid... I'm hoping for similar improvement next year!

2011-06-28 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3568643

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: Cohasset Triathlon
Oh no, bummer about the goggles and the shoe laces, but you reacted calmly so as not to make more issues!  Great job finishing the race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cohasset Triathlon Rss Feed