General Discussion Race Reports! » Amica 19.7 Tellico Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Amica 19.7 Tellico Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lenoir City, Tennessee
United States
Amica 19.7 Triathlon Series
76.2F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DNF/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, had some cocoa crispies and Oats for breakfast. Got everything loaded up, checked the bike over again, and headed to the race site.
Event warmup:

Did another short ride, ran a mile or so, and swam out about 400m just to stay warm once we got in the water.
Swim
  • 14m 39s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Awesome swim for me. Lined up at the very front and fought through the melee the first 200m or so to find myself in pretty clean water. Came out 3 minutes down from first place, but considering he's a college swimmer, I was feeling good about it.
What would you do differently?:

Must... work... on... swim...
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition times were included in the bike split I believe. I would measure this at about a minute or so including the run up the beach. It was fairly fast for me. Got up to speed pretty fast.

It was pretty solid, wish they all went so smooth.
Bike
  • 41m 35s
  • 16.1 miles
  • 23.23 mile/hr
Comments:

The goal of the day was to NOT try and crush the bike exactly... it was to get through as fast as possible without burning myself up for the 5k. (Which is something difficult for me to do as I do enjoy crushing a good bike course...)

Despite my best efforts (and making an effort to NOT spike my watts on the climbs, which I think I did fairly successfully) I still managed second fastest split of the day (possibly fastest depending on transition times haha) and had cut down the lead of 1st by a minute.

I've still got a lot of work to do... in multiple ways. I've got to start paying a bit more attention to cooking myself on the bike... and I most certainly have to work on my power and aerodynamics.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Ok, jumped off the bike and the pedal/shoe smacked the crap out of my knee (leaving a nice bloody gash)
Not even 100% sure how I did that. Nonetheless, it was a pretty fast t2.

Not jack myself.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

And here is where the dream ends.

I come out of t2 pretty much neck and neck with a guy who had worked with me on the bike (Legally pacing each other... no drafting) He was a runner so I knew there was no winning this battle, so I let him pass me.

The bike and run course follow the same "start" (probably 1/4 mile) and then comes to a fork. The bike course forks off onto the highway, and I do not see the markings on the road (neither did the others, although I feel sure they were there. Again, My bad). There is also no volunteer for runners. We both yell at the bike volunteers as to which way to go... she tells us to go left, back onto the highway (and bike course) I'm not sure and yell to another volunteer a moment later, he says to follow the guys in front of me... which I do.

At this point I'm probably 90% sure I'm going the wrong way. Nonetheless, I can see "first place" on the horizon, and when I look behind me, I can see other runners coming down the highway.

By the time it's clear we've gone the wrong way, the race is most certainly over. I walk back to Transition, get my stuff, and leave.

KNOW THE COURSE.

I will say though, even if I had been 99% sure I was going the wrong way, I probably STILL would have followed the leaders after being told to by a volunteer... just don't know.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being a dumb@ss.

Event comments:

My (Our) experiences aside, after a volunteer was stationed to direct runners, It seemed great.

Nonetheless, I'll just not leave a rating.

Last updated: 2011-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:39 | 880 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Big "J" Shape.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:35 | 16.1 miles | 23.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Pretty much a big straight away with some long inclines. Matched my riding style perfectly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: Haha... obviously I'm not a good person to ask about the course...
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-06-27 8:53 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: Amica 19.7 Tellico Sprint Triathlon

2011-06-27 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3568757

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Amica 19.7 Tellico Sprint Triathlon

All right, here are my thoughts. You are a freaking stud, you were having a great race.  You pay good money to a marquis sponsored race (Amica), they should have enough freaking knowledgeable volunteers to direct the front of the pack guys the correct way around a course. That in my opinion is unacceptable. It is not like it is a small rinkydink local 200 person Tr with a $25 entry and limited resources.

Granted, you could have done some course recon, but we do not live in a perfect world we have jobs,  families and travel sometimes big distances to do these events, and races that big should be marked and directed properly.  EPIC fail on the RD IMHO.

Sorry that you got boned with bad info, that sucks. but great effort none the less.

2011-06-27 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Thanks Rudy, now you have to get some revenge for me at Ocean Beach!
2011-06-27 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3568957

User image

Veteran
That sucks.

Sadly, your experience is not unusual for races by this director. I've been mis-directed at trideltathon (while leading), nearly taken a wrong turn at Fall Creek Falls due to no marking and no volunteers at a trail intersection, asked to line up by finishing order at Tellico (2006?) because they couldn't get their act together, taken a wrong turn at Springbrook, and actually seen a race at Tellico (2008) started and then stopped with all the swimmers forced to come back because swim caps were handed out incorrectly.

Note that I've done 45+ total races in my career and never had any problems like this with other management companies.

Consequently, I don't do a lot of his races anymore.
2011-06-27 12:33 PM

User image

As the Race Director for the event, we do regret the first few runners did not to follow the minimum of six (6) directional arrows at that turn on the run course. The arrows were the same type and color use at the four (4) previous turns to that point on the run course and the remaining turns on the run course.

I usually don't make notes on forum boards regarding these issues. Any questions or comments can be directed via responses to post event survey to participants or event web site portal.

Thank you!

2011-06-27 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3569369

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Knoxtriguy - 2011-06-27 1:33 PM As the Race Director for the event, we do regret the first few runners did not to follow the minimum of six (6) directional arrows at that turn on the run course. The arrows were the same type and color use at the four (4) previous turns to that point on the run course and the remaining turns on the run course. I usually don't make notes on forum boards regarding these issues. Any questions or comments can be directed via responses to post event survey to participants or event web site portal. Thank you!

i was going to type something long and smarmy, but i will save it, you said enough in your post, and i do not want to hijack Chris's race report. Hope the Northeast version is run differently, nice way to be passive aggressive on a forum you don't post often on.

2011-06-27 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3569369

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Knoxtriguy 

Edited RR to reflect that the run course was indeed marked and that I missed it.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Amica 19.7 Tellico Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed