National MS Society - Utah Chapter
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 42m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Logan Friday night. Decided to "wing it" and camp in my car at the fairgrounds. Picked up my packet, met up with the rest of the team to discuss the plan for Saturday and get my jersey, and then got to bed around 9 pm. Suffering from a crummy cold/sinus infection, I had flu-like symptoms and pain/soreness that I wanted to try to get rid of for Saturday.
Event warmup:

Woke up Saturday feeling okay. Got started a little late because the rest of the team showed up around 7:15. Finally departed on the bike just after 7:30. Started with a very gentle 15 mph pace for the first 10 miles with the team. I had some fatigue with this sickness, and wanted to be careful and not push too hard.
Bike
  • 5h 42m 9s
  • 105 miles
  • 18.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Took it easy for the first part of the ride. After the first water stop, found myself getting out in front and wanting to pull. As I got out front, I would look back after a few minutes and realize my team was nowhere to be found, so I'd end up riding that portion solo or with other riders behind. As the ride progressed I was feeling pretty good; my sinuses had opened up a bit and I was breathing okay (with an occasional cough), and decided I should try to open it up.

After the stop at mile 49, I pulled strong intending on doing the loop and arrive back at the stop at mile 64. I somehow missed a turn while I was feeling good and cruising, and instead went the opposite direction up the loop and was headed up to Preston, ID. We were half way there by the time we realized we were off-course. We turned around, and headed back the way we came to get back. Added about 5 extra miles all said and done.

After we got to the mile 64 stop, we cruised again to the lunch stop at mile 74 to catch up with the rest of the group, averaging about 22-23 mph for 10 mi. Good pace!

Once we got back to the group, enjoyed a lunch and rest for a bit and then continued on our way for another 26 miles. Took the first part easy, but then found myself once again pulling away from the group riding solo. I'd wait for the group at each waterstop. After the stop at mile 89, I was anxious to finish. Took off and caught up with the rest of the group that had gone ahead, and pushed hard (22 mph pace), again pulling a short line all the way to the finish. Just felt strong, automatic.

I love the bike. Despite my sickness, I felt great after this ride.
What would you do differently?:

Try not to get sick, and try not to get lost! Other than that, I felt very strong on this ride, all things considered. My pace was intentionally easy because of my sickness, and I still managed to average 18.5. Not bad, esp. considering I did a good portion of this ride solo or out front, probably more than any other time I've done this in the past.
Post race
Warm down:

Went back to the car, did some light stretches, and then hopped in the car to head to the cabin where the rest of my family was staying.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My sickness, and the pace of the team I was part of. I feel like I could have really opened it up if I was feeling good. With that said, I was very glad that I had a team that was taking a moderate pace. It would have killed me to try to keep up with a 21/22 mph pace team this year.

Event comments:

I love this ride. That's why I couldn't miss it. So much fun to ride with so many others, and it's great to be part of a team. I'm sure I'll be back next year for #5!

Last updated: 2011-06-27 12:00 AM
Biking
05:42:09 | 105 miles | 18.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Very flat course through farmland in Logan/northern Utah, and southern Idaho. A few short hills you can sprint if you're feeling it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right