Manhattan Island Foundation
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 42s
Overall Rank = 1/31
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Ate cliff bar, drank OJ. Took M50 bus crosstown. Drank Gatorade. Ate Cliff Gel (Mocha) about 10 min before race. Looked for other girl in elite wave...no show...me and the boys :)
Event warmup:

This is almost a 6 mile race...is a warm up really necessary? Jumped off dock and did about 25 yards easy free and breaststroke.
Swim
  • 1h 29m 42s
  • 10296 yards
  • 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started in last (elite) wave. This was great because you didn't need to sight, you could just pick off the slower swimmers ahead of you. No bouys, just head for GW bridge (but you couldn't see it for the fog).
First 1/2 hr -Drafting with overall male winner from previous two years, so knew I was in good shape. Felt relaxed. The strong current was AWESOME!!!
Second 1/2 hr -could now see bridge, lost drafting buddy but was continuing to pick off swimmers in previous heats...see lead boat about 500 yards ahead.
Last 1/2 hr -Still see Bridge, see waste treatment facility...take mental note to veer away slightly...don't want to get sucked in! Yuck. Lead boat about 20 yards ahead...see two caps. Slowly close on one cap, other stays equally in front of me (my previous drafting partner). Shoulders feel great...fingers are stiff, lower back aches. See Little Red Lighthouse (under bridge), can't see finish area but sure leader and lead boat know where they are going...wonder why we arn't starting to swim to shore. Get too close to lighthouse...know I have passed finish (as does lead boat and lead swimmer). Have to swim against current for last 10 min or so back to finish line. Finish with first wave of men (i'm pissed because I know I swam faster than them...but poor guy who should have finished first (draft buddy) ended up behind me!). Happy to be top female.
What would you do differently?:

Don't trust swimmers ahead of me (or boats). Even if they should know what they are doing, trust my instinct not someone elses.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, cliff bar, shower to get Hudson river water off me. Then omlette and beers at local pub with family and friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Could have gone out faster but thought the race would take a lot longer than it did. Most importantly, sighting the finish.

Event comments:

Because the race course was faster than expected (thought first people would be done in 2 hours) found out that when I and the other fellow swam by the finish it was not fully set up yet (no bouys out). The race directors did apologize for this and promised it would not happen again.

Last updated: 2005-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:29:42 | 10296 yards | 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 0/31
Performance: Good
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: Hudson River 5.85 miles. 1.5-2 mph current. 54th St to 168th St.
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-09-02 7:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Subject: Little Red Lighthouse Swim

2005-09-16 9:12 PM
in reply to: #239998

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Little Red Lighthouse Swim
Wow...I just stumbled across this race report...you swam that fast for that long??? and even did extra??? what's your secret. do jellyfish really swim that fast? Just amazing time.
2005-09-16 11:13 PM
in reply to: #239998

User image

Expert
San Diego
unless i am reading wrong, you paced :52s? NICE. May i ask what your swimming background is?
2005-09-19 9:00 AM
in reply to: #248304

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Usually I pace around 1:05-1:10, but the current was super strong, so the pace time was much faster than usual. (My best time for a 100 free is 53...and that was ages ago)
As for swimming background I swam D1 in college (UCSB), and was a high school all american. Also, former USMS national champion, current USMS national record holder, USA Swimming 5K open water finalist.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Little Red Lighthouse Swim Rss Feed