Gold Coast Events Management Ltd
19C / 66F
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 50m 20s
Overall Rank = 3710/4548
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 205/268
Pre-race routine:

A very quiet afternoon prior to race day, with the usual pasta dinner and a pretty early night. Sleeping? Not so well. Haven't slept well for a week.
Event warmup:

With 42km to run, I'm not so keen on the warm up. It was however a 20 minute walk to the start line from our apartment so a huge group of us walked down. I ate my white bread and honey sandwich and tried to down some gatorade, but the nerves that kicked in made it difficult.

Arriving at the race precinct it was all about the porta loo. Or the queue. Thankfully it moved really quickly.

15 mins prior to the race start I sucked down a Gu and headed off to the corral towards the back.
Run
  • 4h 50m 20s
  • 42.16 kms
  • 06m 53s  min/km
Comments:

My official goal time was between 4:30 and 4:45. My aim was to run at 6:30m/km, a pace I have easily held in training.

For the first 20km I held a 6:30 pace pretty easily. Or more so I felt as though I was holding back. But something went amiss. I slowed to a 6:44/km pace over the next 5km. It started to get pretty warm at this stage and I along with the runners around me were looking for any shade we could find. From about 28km I was in a world of hurt. I have never experienced quad pain quite like it. Ever. They pretty much turned rock solid and made running very difficult.

At 32km we passed the finish line turn off and I saw Mr T. I was about to burst into tears, I wanted to stop and hug him, but had I done that I'm not sure I would have started again. So I high fived him and continued on. There was no way I wasn't going to cross the finish line. The t-shirt alone was worth it!

The five km to the 37km turn around were slow going. A lot of people were walking at this stage and I was down to a shuffle with the odd walk thrown in for good measure. I had to resort to heel striking just to keep moving. I averaged 7:20/km for the last 12kms and after 35km did more of the passing rather than being passed.

Running the last kilometre was pretty freaking awesome. There were a shipload of supporters cheering and when I saw my group of supporters I was pretty stoked to see those that had finished an hour and more earlier will still out there cheering! For me! Totally helped me pick up speed for the finishing line.

And then I wanted to cry. Why? Because of the frustration of the pain and the fact that I was finally finished.

In the end I missed my goal by 5 min, but it was a 16 min PB. I'll take it.
What would you do differently?:

I did this marathon on the back of (a very consistent) 2 months. Another 4 weeks would have been ideal. Underdone? I'd say so. Over confident? Probably.

My longest training run was 28km. I believe it needs to be in the mid 30s. I now understand the concept of marathon pace. Somehow it didn't compute previously. It does now.

In hindsight I didn't wear the 4:45 pacing band because I thought it was too low a goal to aim for. I wish I'd worn it. That said I don't know if it would have made a difference.

The frustrating thing is I've never experienced quad pain. I felt as though my nutrition was spot on. I drank at almost every aid station and was very well hydrated prior to racing. I did get warm, but I've felt the effects of dehydration and it didn't feel like that. I don't feel as though I went out too hard. So I'm at a bit of a loss as to why it happened. Possibly too much forefoot striking?
Post race
Warm down:

Had to contain myself over the finish line. I felt like a good cry. Instead I got some orange quarters, endura and water. I sat down composed myself then headed out to meet the others collecting my medal and t-shirt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Quad pain.

Event comments:

Awesome event. So well organised, plenty of support out on course. 19C in the middle of a Melbourne winter. Yes please!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-05-16 12:00 AM
Running
04:50:20 | 42.16 kms | 06m 53s  min/km
Age Group: 0/268
Overall: 0/4548
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-09 4:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Gold Coast Airport Marathon

2011-07-09 5:19 AM
in reply to: #3587773

User image

Veteran
Perth
Subject: RE: Gold Coast Airport Marathon
Well done! Pushing through that pain is always an achievement. Awesome result and congrats on the PB
2011-07-10 10:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne

Great job Casie!!!!  Way to push through that pain barrier.

So pleased you smashed your PB, got to be happy with that.

Hope you enjoyed your well-deserved break afterwards...!

Awesome job!

2011-07-18 11:51 PM

User image

Melbourne

Awesome!

It is just as tough mentally as physically so to finish a marathon is an amazing effort.

Well done!Smile

2011-07-19 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Well done Casie. A 16 minute PB is excellent. And you learnt a lot of valuable lessons on how to get an even better PB next time! WTG
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gold Coast Airport Marathon Rss Feed