CARA
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 00m 52s
Overall Rank = 207/265
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/25
Pre-race routine:

Had a small bowl of puffed wheat for breakfast and that was it. Some water on the way to the race about an hour before the start. Seemed to work well for me.
Event warmup:

Got there and checked in. Got race number and chip. Stretched a bit and jogged a little to loosen up.
Looked at all the people in their running club shirts and the sponsored runners and thought " oh boy, I'm going to be finishing last today". But I didn't! Yay!
Run
  • 1h 00m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my best race in about 2 years. Felt good at the start, kept a good pace, felt relaxed.
mile 1- 9:18 thought" Oh boy, I could have a decent race if I don't collapse at mile 4." kept small, quick steps.
mile 2-9:58- there were some hills and a transition to gravel.
mile 3-9:37- this was still on gravel and was at the turnaround point. Came around the corner and couldn't believe I saw the 3 mile marker! Thought I was at least a minute away from it. :-)
My 3 mile split time was 28:54!!
mile 4- 10:55- Always start slowing down here but didn't feel like I slowed THAT much.
mile 5- 8:46- OK, I think the mile markers might've been slightly off because I know I didn't pick up the pace THAT much. I'll take it though!
mile 6- 10:15- started to really drag the last mile. Knew it was almost over and I start getting excited and tense all my muscles. Gotta learn to stay relaxed until the finish line.
The last .2 mile was 2 minutes exactly.
Overall I'm soooo happy with my time. Not only did I break my PB for a 10K, I finally ran a sub 10 minute mile race this year!!
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I pushed myself today and did not walk AT ALL. Even made it up the hills.
I also did not take any water. I seem to do much better hydrating early, then going without during the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over and grabbed my gear and had to hurry home to go to my brother's for a BBQ. Then we ended up playing an hour of tennis in the afternoon too which actually seemed to help loosen me up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still not in great shape for running. Gotta keep getting out there and doing 1-1 1/2 hour runs. Seems to be helping.

Event comments:

Great race! I strongly recommend it to anyone in the Chicago area if you are looking for a nice run.
Lots of volunteers and everyone seemed very friendly. Heard lots of people during the run thanking the volunteers which was cool. I was doing it too.
Will definitely do it again next year.

Last updated: 2005-08-30 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:52 | 06.21 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/25
Overall: 207/265
Performance: Good
Course: From the BG Fitness Center out onto some neighborhood streets, onto the forest preserve trail back onto pavement.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-04 8:10 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Subject: Buffalo Grove Stampede

2005-09-05 9:34 PM
in reply to: #240629

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Buffalo Grove Stampede
Excellent run, Brenda!  Congratulations on the PR, too.  Now you're ready to step up to a half marathon, right?? 
2005-09-06 8:09 AM
in reply to: #240629

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Subject: RE: Buffalo Grove Stampede

WOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!

go Brenda, go Brenda, go Brenda

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Grove Stampede Rss Feed