Dig Deep Sports, LLC
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 00m 25s
Overall Rank = 22/81
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

Got up, got ready, ate a sausage and then had a bagel with soy cream cheese in the car. Headed to the race, parked near the finish line, used the restroom, applied sunscreen, used my inhaler and headed to the start line.
Event warmup:

Parking for the race was located .6 from the start, so I jogged from there to the start line. Once at the start line I stretched a bit.
Run
  • 2h 00m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I'd been doing lots of hill repeats and rolling hills to train for this race and those served me well. My pace on the hills was still a bit slower than I would have liked, but my plan had been to make up the time on the downhill stretches and I was able to do that quite effectively. Plus, it was my first major race since I got my asthma under control and it was really good to be able to run and breathe. There was a short period around mile 7 when there was a little bit of wheezing, but I was able to get that under control pretty quickly. Overall, I feel like I paced myself quite well, not least because I didn't get passed by anyone after the first mile and was also able to pass at least five people after that.
What would you do differently?:

Do even more hill repeats. I'm of the mindset that one can never do enough when it comes to running in the mountains.
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched for a bit while cheering in some of the other runners.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't get as much sleep as I'd hoped due to a combination of visiting in-laws, overexcited children and my own need for a few hours of peace and quiet once the children are in bed. I might have been able to pull off a sub-2:00 finish if May's illness and subsequent asthma diagnosis hadn't slowed me down, but really, this was a pretty amazing half-mary for me given the altitude and terrain.

Event comments:

I'm so impressed by this race. It was a very small race, with 81 finishers in a small mountain town but it was so incredibly well-organized. There were aid stations--including portapotties!--every two miles along the course, plenty of volunteers, a really well-marked course with detailed maps available several weeks before the race, great communication from the race director and best of all, registrants received a long-sleeve hoodie and a hat--really nice ones too!

Last updated: 2011-05-08 12:00 AM
Running
02:00:25 | 13.1 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 22/81
Performance: Good
Splits: 1 - 9:14 2 - 10:46 3 - 9:34 4 - 10:05 5 - 9:15 6 - 8:17 7 - 8:52 8 - 9:08 9 - 9:55 10 - 8:50 11 - 8:39 12 - 8:25 13 - 8:30 and the .1 - 6:52
Course: The course was on dirt roads north and east of Granby with beautiful views of mountains in all directions. Most of the elevation gain is in the first 4-1/2 miles, after which the course descends on rolling hills (read: more elevation) and then heads into town to finish next to Town Hall. Elevation ranges from 7950 to 8500 ft, with a total elevation gain of 768 ft.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes