General Discussion Race Reports! » Shadow Creek Ranch Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Shadow Creek Ranch Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pearland, Texas
United States
Troika Promotions
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 57s
Overall Rank = 10/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

woke up around 4:00 drove to the race, around 5:00 I had a PB&H (honey) sandwich which was great. Got the idea from a friend of mine. Got to the Race set up transition. really uneventful.
Swim
  • 07m 6s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

There is no way the time is correct. I started my watch when he blew the horn and I show 11:46 (2:30/100yrd) which is more representative of what I have seen in practice. I would love to swim a 1:42/100 yrd but it aint happening. This was only my second race and I did worlds better than my first. I was still a little winded early in the swim but i think that is just from the rush of the start and nerves. Hopefully more races will help me get over this.
What would you do differently?:

Do more races to get better at dealing with the nerves of the start.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

I think i have my transitions down. I guess i would be considered a minimalist, I but the helmet on, glasses on, shoes on and i am out of there. I don't drink, take any nutrition, or change in transition. I also don't use socks so this help with speed.

learn to start with my shoes clipped in.
Bike
  • 41m 15s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 19.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I was very happy with my bike leg. I thought i did a good job at changing gears to pass, keeping a comfortable pace and still pushing hard enough. There were tons of cops and volunteers which was great. My wife said some of the cars were just going and not paying attention and almost hit riders but i did not experience any of this. It was a good ride.

Train harder. Prior to this race i was training consistently but not training hard. I would finish a ride and be tired but not completely wiped out. I am going to try and start riding harder and forcing myself to work harder. We will see how it goes.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Again, I think my transitions are good. I just slid my shoes on (no socks) grab my race belt and visor and I was off.
Run
  • 40m 42s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 12m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I am a super slow runner! And it sucks. If you are reading this and you can help please PM me. I need all the help i can get. I was getting passed my older women that weighed more than I did!

I have always been a slow runner, this is my first year of racing or even training consistently so hopefully i can incorporate some seped work in my training and over time i can get faster.

start adding speed work to my training
Post race
Warm down:

found my wife, found a shade tree and sat down. In that order. Drank some water and had a kolache. After the awards were handed out got my bike and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my run. I am a slow runner.

Event comments:

The swim started late, which did not bother me but since I was in the last wave it did seem like a long time for us to get underway. As a point of refrence I was standing next to the race director waiting for my swim wave to start and it came across the radio that the first bike had come in and he was headed out to run. The bike was well marked and fun. The run was good, but hot (what do you expect in Texas) Overall this was a good race for beginners and vets. I had a lot of fun and will do it again.

Last updated: 2011-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:06 | 500 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: LG Tri suit
Course: Straight Line, very easy for sighting.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:15 | 13.5 miles | 19.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Very flat, and very fast. It had a few turns which you had to slow down for but it was not excessive and it made for a nice change of pace.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:42 | 03.2 miles | 12m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat, sidewalk, aid stations well placed (even though they ran out of water)
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes