General Discussion Race Reports! » Stumpy Creek International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Stumpy Creek International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mooresville, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 48m 41s
Overall Rank = 159/334
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 34/60
Pre-race routine:

Got out of bed around 4:30. Spent 30 minutes checking T-bag, drinking coffee, and choking down half a bagel. Drove up in a light rain. Even the guy from I/O Sports wasn't able to get my front tube to 'click in' to fill with air - said it has a tricky/sticky valve or something. But he got it 'about right' by feel...easy for him to say. Those 404s have been nothing but trouble.
Event warmup:

Two minutes in lake, then got to see the family briefly before my wave started.
Swim
  • 34m 14s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt no panic at all before the start - what a change from my OWSs last year! We were in third wave starting 7:06. We were also largest wave. Got kicked, gouged, and somebody at some point pulled himself forward via my ankle. At the first turn some guy dropped to breastroke and kicked the crap out of my sternum. Good times.

I still can't believe that the swim was my best leg vs. the field. I was going pretty easy. And I don't really like swimming.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

This was my first Oly so I took my time. Could've gone sockless but my feet still have open sores from doing that too much two weeks ago, so figured I'd suck it up and wear socks. I lost 30 seconds vs. the field but I'm kind of okay with that for now.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 47s
  • 27 miles
  • 20.05 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pretty upset with all the blatant drafting going on. I struggled past a pace line of four guys but they eventually got me back. Another group of eight or so passed me later. It doesn't really impact me directly, but I still got a little upset. The motorcycle spent some time with the group of 8, so I'm guessing those are the bulk of the folks who got penalized, but I'm guessing they saved a lot more than the two minute penalty. Oh well.

Three areas of mine that clearly need improvement:
1) Saddle. I continue to get extremely sore on P2 after about 45 minutes in aero.
2) Handing bottles. I slow down way to much to get, drink, and re-stow bottles. Probably got passed by 3-5 folks each of the three times I went for water/Infinit.
3) Downhill. I'm a wuss. I should be way down in aero. I didn't know the course, and the roads were wet, so when I couldn't see through/around turns I was breaking aero and braking while other folks sailed by me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Did fine here. Nothing much to it.
Run
  • 50m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm as ecstatic with this run as I am confused by the fact that it wasn't even in the top half of the men's field. Wow. I mean this was a darned hilly run. For some reason based on the results it seems like this event must attract a pretty deep field. Had some moderate stomach pain about thirty minutes into the run but not 100% sure I know why.

Once again, I won a sprint to the finish. Not that it mattered, it was an older guy who started six minutes behind me. But either way I smoked him on the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Spent two minutes trying not to puke. I was absolutely wiped. Spent the rest of the day eating and drinking.

Event comments:

The event is great. I'd prefer the run course not have loops, but not a huge deal. It still surprises me how fast the median paces were, just over 20 mph on the bike and 8:04 on the run, wow. The run was hillier that I'd like, but not inappropriately so.

Is there anything Setup could do to punish drafters more? It was pretty ridiculous. I'd love to have seen some of those guys get hit with 10 or 12 minutes of penalties.

Last updated: 2011-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:14 | 1640 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/60
Overall: 149/334
Performance: Good
Suit: one-piece tri suit
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:47 | 27 miles | 20.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 39/60
Overall: 166/334
Performance: Below average
HR avg 152, high of 170
Wind: Little
Course: Nice loop. Some fairly hilly and twisty up/downs ~20 miles in.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:29 | 06.21 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/60
Overall: 173/334
Performance: Good
161 avg HR, peak 180
Course: Two loops. Quite hilly.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-18 10:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Gold member
Subject: Stumpy Creek International Triathlon

2011-07-18 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3601664

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: RE: Stumpy Creek International Triathlon

Bruce, I was in your AG for the race and I to was disgusted by the blatent drafting going on.  But the guys that were doing thier best locomotive impression didn't get a drafting penalty because 4 of the 5 in the train I saw were 40-44 AG and only one person in that group got a penalty.  One guy beside me started cursing at them as they went by.   There was some other drafting going on near the end when the course turned hilly again but I was too tired to care what AG they were.

And competition wise, you are correct.  This race was a double points race for the series and there was a LOT of out of town competion there to collect the bonus points. 

Congrads!

2011-07-18 11:11 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina

Bruce,

Congrats on the finish!!!  I finished 33/60 in Male 35-39.  5 seconds ahead of you.  I think I passed you on run and we stayed close the rest of the way.

I agree about the drafting.  Lots of that going on.  I saw a guy in our AG drafting off an older guy and I actually said something to him.  I could see them for the last 10-12 miles in front of me.  They drafted the entire time although they did take turns pulling! :-)

Good luck in your future races!

Alan 

2011-07-18 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Gold member

Thanks guys.  This was my first Oly distance race - is this amount of drafting normal-ish?  What about for my HIM in September, will there be a peloton I should look for?  Finally, what if anything could race organizers do to track it?  One motorcycle obviously isn't going to do it. I'm trying to figure out whether I can / should be upset with Setup Events or what.

Hopefully this was either an anomaly or just a symptom of it being a double-points race.

Edited by bruce_v 2011-07-18 12:19 PM
2011-07-18 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3601881

User image

Master
Charlotte
I have seen some illegal drafting before but nothing so blatent as I saw Saturday.   The normal stuff is just guys coming up on someone and staying too long.  Not a blatent peloton with guys working together.   You can't be mad at SetupEvents because it is the USAT official's responsibility to police the bike.  Officials were out there, but I think I only saw them once.  You can still email Benji  (he runs the series) Benji@setupevents.com and tell him about it though.  He has always been quick to respond via email.
2011-07-22 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina

Bruce,

Great report and congrats on your first Oly distance. It was a very challenging bike course with the hills and the wet roads, I saw a guy slide out on a turn within the first 10 miles which automatically increases the pucker factor for everyone who see's that. I thought the hilly run was very challenging as well, especially that hill coming out of the neighborhood. As far as the drafting goes, I would imagine some of those teams probably train that way for race day. Dont know for sure but they were pretty good at it.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stumpy Creek International Triathlon Rss Feed